ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No injuries - July 23 storm came near end of sound check  (Read 7122 times)

Shane Ervin

No injuries - July 23 storm came near end of sound check
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »

Seeing the pattern of outdoor tragedies recently, I thought I'd send out these before and after pics of a storm that rudely ended our festival week in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada on July 23rd.

Details:
  • 4x EAW 650 per side on truss held up with Genie lifts
  • 3000 cap show tent
  • 3 CDN rock bands had been billed for that SATURDAY night concert: Honeymoon Suite; Harlequin; The Headpins.  Tent would have been packed 2 1/2 hours after time storm hit us.  Very lucky with timing, to say the least!
  • As I was finishing my last tweak of monitors for 3rd band, got a tap on my shoulder that visible lightning meant 60 s notice to power distro shutdown.  Two minutes later, the tent poles (>250 lbs) were lifting 3 ~ 4 feet off the pavement, and our end of the tent came down, taking front and rear truss with it.

As in other (sadly much worse) stage collapses this summer, I keep asking why weren't weather warnings brought to our attention earlier?

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Re: No injuries - July 23 storm came near end of sound check
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »

Shane,

I feel for you. We had a tornado hit a fair grounds we were at last summer. The only thing that was holding what was left of the tent was our gear. Between a couple of tents we lost 85K worth of gear.

Fortunately ours came through at 3AM and nobody was injured.

We are still fighting American Family Insurance over that one. Hope you were not insured by them.

That same fair is talking about having us do three grandstand concerts next year with a large stage and roof...

I've been forwarding them all the photo's of the last three large stage derailments...

What a kick in the pants to our industry...and I really feel for the people that were killed or injured. Equipment can always be replaced.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:13 am »

Weather can do odd things. years ago was at a Greek festival in Houston, freak storm came up out of nowhere. No rain, a little bit of wind, and then a small 10x10 booth/canopy rig right in front of me just exploded. An elderly woman walking by was severely injured by a 2x12 that was thrown about 15'. No other damage or injuries, very bizarre.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Shane Ervin

YouTube clip - "Bathurst Blowdown"
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:44 pm »

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Dean Wells

Re: YouTube clip - "Bathurst Blowdown"
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:00:15 am »

Shane,
Sorry to see this mishap..what a mess..

Educate me.. Is the 650 hang on steelflex ? 
I'm not seeing steel backup in the photo..
Just curious
Thanks..

Miller capacitance in bipolar output devices was a vector for distortion from high PS edge rates.  :)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
"Bathurst Blowdown" & rigging gear
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:02:06 am »

Shane,
Sorry to see this mishap..what a mess..

Educate me.. Is the 650 hang on steelflex ? 
Just curious
Thanks..

Hello,

Sorry to hear of this storm taking out your gear too...

A steel safety is not the only thing that they missed... the 650s were hung on the bottom of the truss, it should have been hung off of the top.

Hammer
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:06:47 am by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Dan Brown

• SR Forums
Re: "Bathurst Blowdown" & rigging gear
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

removed
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:05:54 pm by Dan Brown »

Shane Ervin

Re: "Bathurst Blowdown" & Rigging (good questions)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »

Is the 650 hang on steelflex ? 

I'm not a rigger and I don't know, but will certainly forward your Q to the sound company (my client for the x-rented sidefill system).

The sound company's own crew had already hung the PA tops, the day before my arrival at the festival.

Looking also at Charlies' post (re: hanging from the bottom - rather than from the top - of the truss), I'm very interested in passing this info on to my client and learning the answers.

Shane Ervin

Re: "Bathurst Blowdown" & stage guardrail
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »

A steel safety is not the only thing that they missed... the 650s were hung on the bottom of the truss, it should have been hung off of the top.

The stage (put up by a different contractor before the sound company arrived), also lacked a perimeter guardrail.  I overheard some talk of provincial labour code requirements, but to no avail.  You'd be right if you guessed that someone fell off; earlier on in the festival's week a local crew person fell behind the drum kit, head first onto the distro.  The festivals' luck was with them again: he was observed and came back to work the next day.  Quite a week for him!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

Seeing the pattern of outdoor tragedies recently, I thought I'd send out these before and after pics of a storm that rudely ended our festival week in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada on July 23rd.

Details:
  • 4x EAW 650 per side on truss held up with Genie lifts
  • 3000 cap show tent
  • 3 CDN rock bands had been billed for that SATURDAY night concert: Honeymoon Suite; Harlequin; The Headpins.  Tent would have been packed 2 1/2 hours after time storm hit us.  Very lucky with timing, to say the least!
  • As I was finishing my last tweak of monitors for 3rd band, got a tap on my shoulder that visible lightning meant 60 s notice to power distro shutdown.  Two minutes later, the tent poles (>250 lbs) were lifting 3 ~ 4 feet off the pavement, and our end of the tent came down, taking front and rear truss with it.

As in other (sadly much worse) stage collapses this summer, I keep asking why weren't weather warnings brought to our attention earlier?

Those are not genie lifts.  They are Global Truss ST180s.  You are significantly over their weight limit with just the KF650s, even worse when you add the weight of the lights!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.