ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another stage collapse at Pukkelpop  (Read 28618 times)

Karel Will

Re: Another stage collapse at Pukkelpop
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:14 AM »

Hi,

Apparently, investigators found out the wind blew at a respectable 170km/h. That's very very very unusual here...

Charlie

EvanLamb

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »

My cousin and her boyfriend were actually at the festival and said that it came out of nowhere, they got out fine but they said it was a nightmare.

In other news, I just got back from a gig in Barbados and noticed that the stage had a barometer and wind speed indicator mounted to it. Is this common on some of the stages you professionals have worked? I've just started working on crews at this level and am curious.

Thanks,
   Evan

Mikey Brown

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 12:37:20 AM »

Entire structures loaded to capacity. I know there are load capacity safety factors in place, just haven't been able to locate any factors for wind loading.
http://www.rwdi.com/resource/wind_tunnels
edit (link)

Some roof system manufacturers have data on the affects of wind, and also, have published wind ratings. To find that data, it is a matter of contacting the specific manufacturer's website, or directly to one of their Application Engineers.

What are you  suggesting in your previous post in regards to a 7 to 1 wind rating ratio?    What would be 7 to 1 ?

Hammer

Charlie, sorry for the late response. I realize a 7 to 1 wind factor would be impossible. But shouldn't we be thinking 3 to 1 as a minimum. 300mph sustainable, in wind tunnel tests. If we are using structures that have the capability to be sporadically maxxed out, I believe we should do better. I also realize this subject is extremely sensitive, so any comments should be viewed with the best intentions. We all want the safest and best conditions possible for our industry.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

Charlie, sorry for the late response. I realize a 7 to 1 wind factor would be impossible. But shouldn't we be thinking 3 to 1 as a minimum. 300mph sustainable, in wind tunnel tests. If we are using structures that have the capability to be sporadically maxxed out, I believe we should do better. I also realize this subject is extremely sensitive, so any comments should be viewed with the best intentions. We all want the safest and best conditions possible for our industry.

Hello Mikey,

Yes, we Do want the safest conditions possible for anyone working on or  near a roof structure/stage ...or even attending a Show. 

But, what I was asking is... what do you mean by a ratio?  7 to 1...or even 3 to 1 ?
  What are the terms of this ratio that you propose?

Are you looking for some magic answer? Some magic formula?

I think that it is easier than you are suggesting.  How's about a simple..."This roof structure is rated for a wind speed of "X" miles (kilometers) per hr. ?

FWIW... the Manufacturers of Stage Roof Systems that Do provide/ publish their ratings data of Loads and Wind speed tolerance have never been found at fault, nor accused of incorrect data...as far as I'm aware.

Again, this subject of wind ratings in regards to roof systems, (In my opinion) is not the  issue in regards to so many people being injured or killed in these events, It is the fact (again my opinion) that these shows SHOULD have been cancelled and the areas cleared of attendees and crew members.

We can't stop the storm or any damage it chooses to inflict...but we CAN get out of it's way.

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »

Entire structures loaded to capacity. I know there are load capacity safety factors in place, just haven't been able to locate any factors for wind loading.
http://www.rwdi.com/resource/wind_tunnels
edit (link)
    Some roof system manufacturers have data on the affects of wind, and also, have published wind ratings. To find that data, it is a matter of contacting the specific manufacturer's website, or directly to one of their Application Engineers.

What are you  suggesting in your previous post in regards to a 7 to 1 wind rating ratio?    What would be 7 to 1 ?

Hammer

Mikey,

Did you miss this post and the documents on the ESTA page? This has all the references to the appropriate building standards that apply. Together with additional codes of practice that are going to be proposed for this industry. If you missed that, then might also have missed this post regarding a safety iniative. Just make this clear. PLASA and ESTA joined forces, the stuff I refer to, is AMERICAN and organised by AMERICANS. This is not some European regulation. In view of all the tragic safety related events in the USA, I would have thought that this would be a hot topic. Not one reply! Not even a comment from any of the Union members. In Europe our unions jump on these safety issues and standards with open arms, because they help their members, and it also makes non union people who work with them, be more attentive to safety and good working practices. Has anybody on this forum sent a review/comment to the structures group? Or is it the case that the LAB is now just Lounge +.

Iain.

Mikey Brown

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »

Mikey,

Did you miss this post and the documents on the ESTA page? This has all the references to the appropriate building standards that apply. Together with additional codes of practice that are going to be proposed for this industry. If you missed that, then might also have missed this post regarding a safety iniative. Just make this clear. PLASA and ESTA joined forces, the stuff I refer to, is AMERICAN and organised by AMERICANS. This is not some European regulation. In view of all the tragic safety related events in the USA, I would have thought that this would be a hot topic. Not one reply! Not even a comment from any of the Union members. In Europe our unions jump on these safety issues and standards with open arms, because they help their members, and it also makes non union people who work with them, be more attentive to safety and good working practices. Has anybody on this forum sent a review/comment to the structures group? Or is it the case that the LAB is now just Lounge +.

Iain.
Ian, yes I missed it. And thank you for the link. I will post anything further as a reply to that thread. I also feel your concerns about the attention paid to your post are very valid.
After reading through the ESTA regs. I will be sending in a review/comment. Thanks again for the wake up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.