ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Technica AT835b ok for Micing an acapella choir  (Read 6455 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Audio Technica AT835b ok for Micing an acapella choir
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

I have used Audix MicroBooms with acapella  groups with good success.
They have a low profile. I get the group to do a semicircle around a set of them. I give a dedicated mic to the ones doing percussion.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

Are we talking about a competition or a concert here?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

...[E]ffects to enhance their performance...
Chan,  that's a good way to work with a capella groups.  However, if it's a competition, I wouldn't add anything to the performance.  That way no one can come to you after (or during) the show and say, "You didn't do the same thing for our group as you did for theirs!"  If you perceive this as a problem, you may want to see if someone from the ejudicating organization can sit back with you to prove you didn't alter anything.

To the OP: I'd personally recommend spaced mics for area pick-up (following the 3:1 rule as Dick mentioned).  Leave a few standing mics for solos and keep them down 6dB-9dB unless a bump is needed.  The lynchpin for this technique is the singers - and it's the main reason I prefer this method.  Why?  Because, well, it's completely up to them how they sound!  If they don't project or their blend or timing is off, it'll come out.  When done right, it is a transparent technique that allows you to get even stage coverage while not losing out on solos; plus it keeps you on-the-level.  A win-win for competitions.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

Are we talking about a competition or a concert here?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.