ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Directivity of TH115/118  (Read 13805 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Directivity of TH115/118
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »

I'm curious about the directivity of, say, a cluster of 4 x Danley Sound Labs TH115 or TH118 (I guess they are more or less identical in this respect) placed on the ground standing up like normal with the exits near the ground, all cabinets placed right up against each other.

I hear it said that the flanges that are made up by "the rest" of the cabinets give it some directivity, but I'm curious as to how much this is.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for - but what have you got? :) Measurements, subjective experience (eg. compared to a cluster of less tall, frontloaded subs?), theory...anything would be appreciated!
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Directivity of TH115/118
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

I have used an array of TH115's in an 8 x wide 2 x high (16 cabs) across the front of the stage and the directivity was quite narrow. Ended up "steering" with delay.
Very little "on stage" low end compared to a bunch of front loaded 18's. Gotta say it was pretty punchy too!
I have no measurements to provide.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »

I have used an array of TH115's in an 8 x wide 2 x high (16 cabs) across the front of the stage and the directivity was quite narrow. Ended up "steering" with delay.
Very little "on stage" low end compared to a bunch of front loaded 18's. Gotta say it was pretty punchy too!
I have no measurements to provide.

Ok - were they lying down on their side? Wouldn't they be be quite high if standing up?

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »

Keith,

How large an event were you covering with the sixteen 115?  I'm trying to get a friend interested in the used cabinets on the west coast, and wondering how large a concert eight would cover for rock n roll.

Best regards,

John

Josh Bennett

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »

I've used 4 side by side in the center, compared to direct radiating 18"s they do have a little more directivity, but I haven't done any measurements yet.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »

I've used 4 side by side in the center, compared to direct radiating 18"s they do have a little more directivity, but I haven't done any measurements yet.

My worry is if you have 4 in a center cluster at full throttle to what degree will you kill the lead singer standing immediately behind them when deployed in the described fashion?

Is it doable or is further steering by arraying necessary? (which would be space-consuming)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

The cabs were laying on their sides.
The venue was an outdoor festival, say around 8000 people or so.(16 box array)
I have used as little as 2 a side in a band/corporate event in a large ballroom with good results.
I would say that 8 boxes, properly powered would perform very well.
Just my opinion....
As for steering, it can be done with time delay rather than physical positioning.
So far, even with a folk show (8 box array standing), there have been no complaints of excessive low end on deck.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

My worry is if you have 4 in a center cluster at full throttle to what degree will you kill the lead singer standing immediately behind them when deployed in the described fashion?

Is it doable or is further steering by arraying necessary? (which would be space-consuming)

As Keith noted, forward directivity is better with a cluster of horn loaded subs-I wasn't worried about your singer. ;>)

I'm trying to get a feel for sound levels with four to eight of these and how large a crowd Keith's covered, indoor v. outdoor, music style, etc. 

I suspect four would handle up to 500 outside for rock n roll, just trying to get some real world info.

Best regards,

John

Steven Gustafson

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »

Check the Danley website, Franz Francis stacked 20, 5 over 5 per side.  In the portfolio tab.  I also think there's an old post in the archives that has a measurement of 4 over four, and it shows directivity.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »

Check the Danley website, Franz Francis stacked 20, 5 over 5 per side.  In the portfolio tab.  I also think there's an old post in the archives that has a measurement of 4 over four, and it shows directivity.

How about a link? There's a lot of tiny thumbnails in that portfolio.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.