ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Recording Camera to Computer  (Read 7325 times)

Andrew Christensen

Video Recording Camera to Computer
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:29:07 AM »

We currently have a Rain Venturi which has a large amount of expandability and we'd like to "restart" recording video.

Previously we recorded video from a SD camera to a pretty junky capture device and got just what you would expect, a junk recording.

We just got settled with this new beast of a computer:

Rain Computers Venturi
2.80GHz Intel "Bloomfield" Xeon Quad Core [8MB]
12GB 1333MHz DDR3 Triple Channel SDRAM (6x2GB)
640GB High Performance Drive [64MB Cache SATA 3 6GB]
2TB High Performance Drive [64MB Cache SATA 3 6GB]
StormDrive Dual Layer CD/DVD Writer
850W Silent Power Supply
NVIDIA Quadro 600 Workstation Video Card [1GB DDR 3]
Windows 7 Pro [64-bit]

But what we are looking to do is upgrade to an HD grade camera, and get a new capture device, as well as some video editing software that would have live capture built in.

I've looked at the following cameras and just wondering whats best, what should we be looking at to connect the camera to the capture device, what capture devices should we get? Ideally one that will work with whatever video software we get :P

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589903-REG/Canon_3238B001_XH_A1s_3CCD_HDV_Camcorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733533-REG/Canon_4888B001_XF100_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html

For the capture device looking to have one that could handle a second input for eventual internet stream.

So overview, looking for:

- HD camera, Prefer Canon sub $3,000
- Capture Device handling at least 2 HD inputs, or 1 HD and 1 SD either way its coming direct from the camera at this point.
- Editing software that's capable of live capturing
- Any cabling we would need to get from the camera to the capture device

We're looking at spending probably up to $1,000 on editing software.
And $??? for capture device / cables

Budget is around $3000 + $1000 + Whatever capture device and cables would cost

Kurt Rivers

Re: Video Recording Camera to Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

It depends on how you want to bring the video feed in to the computer.

The common HD video I/O is SDI but cameras with that type of output are quite pricey.

I think you will want to go with HDMI because some of the cameras you showed has that as a video out.

HDMI capture cards should not cost that much. I have not used any so I'm not sure what would work the best for you.

Premiere Pro / Final Cut are the norm for editing software but if I remember right, you will not be able to record more then one video feed at a time with them.

Do you already have a good tripod/fluid head? It would be a waste to go HD if the video is shaky!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

A few questions:

It appears as though you may be considering trying to capture two different inputs simultaneously on the same machine including one for streaming.  Would the computer noted be dedicated to video capture and editing?

Would the video from the camera be only for recording and streaming with no potential i-mag use?

How do you envision handling audio?

How far would it be from the camera to the computer and what cabling paths exist between those two points?

Are you envisioning a fixed camera shot or are you thinking possibly remote control of zoom and focus or even pan and tilt?  And how do you plan to mount the camera?

Don't forget to address any related copyrights for recording and streaming.

Mike Harper

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »

We just recently purchased a Happauge Colossus, so far we really like it.  It has an HDMI input, plus analog Component and composite inputs,  Audio can come in via the HDMI, analog audio inputs or a fiber optic input.  The Analog inputs will also pass through unaffected allowing you to feed that to a switcher for IMAG if needed. It has a built in H.264 AVCHD encoder, something most other cards did not.  We very rarely do any IMAG (only Baby dedications and special events like the Children's Christmas play), but that pass though feature, the built in encoder and the price of around $150 sold us on it.  The on thing about the Happauge is that since it has the built in encoder, you see a slight delay on the computer monitor, about 2 seconds or so. 

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html

With the power of your system, you might also look into the Black Magic cards
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

The Black Magic Intensity Pro is a card similar to the Happauge, it doesn't the built in encoder, however it does have an HDMI output.  I think with the power of your system it might be a good option, let your system do the encoding for you rather than the card. 

Tech Director                        Tech
Calvary Life Church                Output Unlimited
www.gocalvarylife.com           www.outputunlimited.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

Mike....

The info is interesting......at least to anyone following this old  thread besides the OP, who hasn't logged in since June 20th.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.