ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a question about building insert cableing for a large desk.  (Read 2727 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

When your heat shrink the insert tails on the console side of the outboard cabling do you heat shrink the send and return lines for each channel of outboard gear together for easier cable management or heat shrink them separately and just tie or tape the send and return for each piece of outboard together?

I should say it's a dual point a TRS desk.

Edit: using expanding nylon sleeving has been recommended instead of heat shrink for most of the tail lengths. This is probably a good idea but since you put shrink on the ends over the braiding how would I handle where the ends appear from the braiding?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:28:39 PM by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
Re: Got a question about building insert cableing for a large desk.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

If the console has separate send and return jacks, why tie, tape, sleeve, or shrink anything?  I like individual wires.  More flexibility and easier to pull.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »

If you're referring to a TRS wye cable for the channel insert then I use a heat shrink tube large enough to cover the TRS plug and shrink the plug and both cables. After that I use a piece of red on the output side and green on the input side ofthe wye.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »

If the console has separate send and return jacks, why tie, tape, sleeve, or shrink anything?  I like individual wires.  More flexibility and easier to pull.

That's why I'm asking. Good info. I had figured shrinking/sleeving the send and return lines together would make it easier and cleaner to patch because you wouldn't need to search for the correct pair in a fan of 48. One less thing to look around for behind the desk.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Steve Haggh

• Southern Indiana
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

When your heat shrink the insert tails on the console side of the outboard cabling do you heat shrink the send and return lines for each channel of outboard gear together for easier cable management or heat shrink them separately and just tie or tape the send and return for each piece of outboard together?

I should say it's a dual point a TRS desk.

Edit: using expanding nylon sleeving has been recommended instead of heat shrink for most of the tail lengths. This is probably a good idea but since you put shrink on the ends over the braiding how would I handle where the ends appear from the braiding?

I have used a few wiring looms that just had the pairs taped together every 6 inches or so. If you are building from scratch, it would be cleaner to just use small pieces of heat shrink every 6 inches on each wire pair. If you get tired of it or need to split the wires up, just cut them off.

As to the techflex question, I just use a longer piece of shrink tubing on each end and let the techflex end under the middle of the shrink tubing.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »

Thanks guys. Think I got it figured out.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.