ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley reliability as rentals and portables  (Read 12701 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: Danley reliability as rentals and portables
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

Scott, how many of the Mecca boxes did the one Jericho per side replace when doing the outdoor shows? Thanks

Hard to say - we didn't do the football games with anything other than the JH90's.  For the regular mobile stage shows the original plans was for 10 MICA per side, and I'm making a rough guess that it the MICA hang wouldn't have been able to go quite as loud.  But probably loud enough either way. 

The FOH system tech from one of the outdoor JH90 shows reported 120dB C-weighted at FOH, which was at least 100' from the stage.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:24:31 PM by Scott Helmke (Scodiddly) »

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »

Ok

I am looking into purchasing  several J2 jericho horns &I sub and am seeking real commercial experience with Danley large horns. Can they be field/shop maintained/repaired? What's warrenty/support like?

Thanks
Kevin

I have a couple Danley boxes here and there in installation land. I have never had a call for a failed component yet.. and I think I have a couple of the original tapped horn subs well over 5 years old in at least 1 place.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

Ivan, why not a passive multiamp setup on these boxes?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »

Ivan, why not a passive multiamp setup on these boxes?
We may try to do a passive mid/high-high to reduce the amp count.  We have not tried to do develope a crossover for that section yet-but Tom's hunch is that we won't be able to get the phase where we would like.  But I question how much of a difference it would make around 8Khz.  Not as bad as down in the heart of the vocal range.

I also doubt that we could get the mids to mid/high alignment correct without a phase shift.  But we haven't looked at that either-yet

There is no way to align the 18" woofers to the rest of the ranges that are mounted on the horn-due to the physical path length.

The origional idea was to only have the JH90 as a powered cabinet.  But the shear pressures inside the cabinet were causing the amplifiers to fail-actually cracking the circuit board paths.

So that idea was scraped, and the use of the DSP with a preset is the standard setup now.

For what it is worth, Josh from Lab Gruppen is coming to the shop this week to work with me to develope settings for the Lab amps.  So that will be another option.

So more options may be available in the future.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:02 AM »

We may try to do a passive mid/high-high to reduce the amp count.  We have not tried to do develope a crossover for that section yet-but Tom's hunch is that we won't be able to get the phase where we would like.  But I question how much of a difference it would make around 8Khz.  Not as bad as down in the heart of the vocal range.

I also doubt that we could get the mids to mid/high alignment correct without a phase shift.  But we haven't looked at that either-yet

There is no way to align the 18" woofers to the rest of the ranges that are mounted on the horn-due to the physical path length.

The origional idea was to only have the JH90 as a powered cabinet.  But the shear pressures inside the cabinet were causing the amplifiers to fail-actually cracking the circuit board paths.

So that idea was scraped, and the use of the DSP with a preset is the standard setup now.

For what it is worth, Josh from Lab Gruppen is coming to the shop this week to work with me to develope settings for the Lab amps.  So that will be another option.

So more options may be available in the future.

My bad - I was thinking these were the smaller ones, and all passive.

So - why not passive multi-amp on the other models that are passive? :-)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »

So - why not passive multi-amp on the other models that are passive? :-)
I'm not sure what you mean by "passive multi-amp"?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kevin Tracy

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »

Ivan

I interpreted his request as asking on the J2 for a midhigh input and a separate sub input so the huge amp could be relaced by2 bigguns :)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »

Ivan

I interpreted his request as asking on the J2 for a midhigh input and a separate sub input so the huge amp could be relaced by2 bigguns :)
You can buy the J2 as a quad amped, 3 way cabinet with the Danley DSP.  Connector is NL8

You would use 2 channels for the lows (2.7ohms each) and a channel for mids and a channel for highs.  Each 4 ohms  (actually closer to 5 ohm actual load)

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »

You can buy the J2 as a quad amped, 3 way cabinet with the Danley DSP.  Connector is NL8

You would use 2 channels for the lows (2.7ohms each) and a channel for mids and a channel for highs.  Each 4 ohms  (actually closer to 5 ohm actual load)

Is there a option for Lake/Lab-presets? Any closer releasing a official spec sheet? :)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »

While I'm not volunteering personally, if they can make PCBs that survive being launched into space, a PCB can be made that will survive inside a loudspeaker (or piggybacked just outside). To make a bad pun, this isn't rocket science.

Using SMD technology the mass of the components is lower so boards can be smaller and more rigid.

I understand that you are limited to OEM choices, and you don't need to spread yourselves thinner dealing with a different engineering discipline, but you might want to work with the vendor you had problems with, or find another source.

or not... 

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 25 queries.