ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather proof speakers that can withstand extreme tropical conditions ?  (Read 8876 times)

Augustine Leudar

Hello all,
I have a query in regard to a semi permanent sound installation at the Eden project in Cornwall UK. The tropical Biome is a large indoor tropical conservatory (1.5 hectares) and has the same climate as a tropical rainforest. "Weatherproof" speakers have been tried before but did not last long. Generally weatherproof speakers are designed to cope with "all" weather - which may be fine for some conditions but ideally we need speakers that are designed to deal with outdoor tropical conditions. Even keeping a mains supply running in the tropical biome is a challenge because of two factors :

1. Extreme humidity (no rain just sticky 100 % humidity soaking everything)
2. Ants ( they chew through everything)

We can possibly deal with the ants using pesticide coating. However the humidity is a challenge. Any recomendations for speakers (perhaps self draining) that could specifically withstand such conditions appreciated. 100 - 150 w RMS per channel minimum. Sound quality is also important as the speakers will be delivering a detailed 3d soundscape (animals , insects , thunder etc) so a good full(ish) range reasonably flat frequency response is also required . The thunder can be delivered on a slightly larger pair with more bottom end (perhaps a subwoofer)
cheers,
Gus
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:25:06 PM by Augustine Leudar »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Weather proof speakers that can withstand extreme tropical conditions ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »

It sounds like you've tried some 'weatherproof' and they weren't up to the task, do you know what specific products did not work as that might help avoid recommendations for products you already know won't work while also providing some reference for what is needed?

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »

It sounds like you've tried some 'weatherproof' and they weren't up to the task, do you know what specific products did not work as that might help avoid recommendations for products you already know won't work while also providing some reference for what is needed?

I cant be certain as it was before my time working there but I think they may have been Bose. I'll give someone a bell tommorow during working hours and get the exact details.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:39:07 PM by Augustine Leudar »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

My first thought was Technomad, One Systems and the Community R and WET series.  I just didn't want to suggest those if they were what had already not worked in the past.

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »

If humidity is high, then mold growth in a paper diaphragm is a potential problem, even if the diaphragms are 'treated'. You may need to look for speakers that don't use any paper diaphragms anywhere. For example, the Community WET series uses carbon fiber diaphragms for its cone drivers and mylar diaphragms in its midrange and treble devices, so mold growth in a paper diaphragm is not a risk. The Community R series uses paper-cone woofers, and while they are shielded from direct exposure to rain by a multi-layer grille and are set back further in the cabinet on a horn, they are still exposed to humidity, and the paper cones are not treated. Many other companies like One Systems are still using paper diaphragms, even though they are weather-treated.

There are a couple of compromises involved in using carbon-fiber diaphragms. Since they are lighter than a poly cone but not lighter than dry paper, sensitivity of the speaker is slightly lower, and the woven carbon fiber material is more expensive than either paper or polypropylene. However, carbon fiber is much more rigid than paper, so the carbon-fiber cones do sound good.
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »

hey

yeah Technomad was also my first thought. Never used them myself so cant comment on sound quality but despite their slightly garrish and non-professional sounding name, they are reputed to be great in these situations.

http://www.technomad.com/products/weatherproof/

k

Joules Newell

• Newell Acoustic Engineering
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »

As said before....

Community WET series. or depending on what you want from it (speech only) Community M4 / EM280 / M200 based horns.

I have much personal experience of the WETs and you won't go wrong with them.

Josh Hoevelmann

I've installed a set of Technomad Berlin's outdoors and am so happy with them, I'm installing two Noho C's this week.  The Berlin's have been at a 2000 seat Soccer stadium for the last 5 years through rain, hail, winds, etc.  As for the ants, I'd spray something around the cabinets and even hose them down every once in a while.  We have birds that try to nest and poop all over ours.

Robin Parker

• Never teach a pig to sing.....
    • Suffolk Audio Services

I've installed a set of Technomad Berlin's outdoors and am so happy with them, I'm installing two Noho C's this week.  The Berlin's have been at a 2000 seat Soccer stadium for the last 5 years through rain, hail, winds, etc.  As for the ants, I'd spray something around the cabinets and even hose them down every once in a while.  We have birds that try to nest and poop all over ours.

Can you be more specific regarding the Technomad Berlin speakers? There are two basic model differences -  the "H", and the higher Q 60/40 and 90/40 models - any information will be helpful!   Thanks

Josh Hoevelmann

Can you be more specific regarding the Technomad Berlin speakers? There are two basic model differences -  the "H", and the higher Q 60/40 and 90/40 models - any information will be helpful!   Thanks

My Berlins are not the Q sereies.  The have the 120x120 coverage pattern.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »

Bose 802 :)

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:53 AM »

Thanks for the replies guy. Rory good point about paper cones - humidity is indeed high (up to 100% sometimes) and its is very very warm. Anything with paper in it will rot away.

Don DeLong

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »

Technomad would be my preferred solution, they are EXTREMELY robust (originally designed for military applications) and sound good.  We have installs of the smaller Vernal model that have been in continuous service outdoors in the midwest for 10+ years and not a single failure.  If there is a box in their line that fits your coverage needs, it should hold up great. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.