ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use a consoles onboard Ocillator to calibrate it's analog VU meters?  (Read 1395 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall

Fixing up an old Crest desk and need to calibrate it's meters. I'm aware of the method of creating a reference tone with a DAW or signal gen software and measuring the outputs voltage to be sure it's +4db. However I was thinking since the desk has a oscillator and pink noise generator section would it be accurate enough to use for meter calibration? There's little info in the user manual other then "Oscillator Level Control- The rotary fader adjusts the level from off to +4db." Think I could trust it to be an accurate +4db for just this? This desk is very well designed and I would like to assume they had though of this and it's accurate enough.

Also, specific to the aux VU's, the aux outputs have masters (rotary pots) that don't have any markings or center dent's for unity gain. How can I set the aux masters to unity to calibrate these meters? 
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune

If it only goes up to +4dBu, it seems logical that would be close enough to line up meters to.. I'd use something like 400Hz-1kHz tone if available.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.