ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need your help with Live Vocalist + Monitors / DJ setup  (Read 6441 times)

Josh Billings

I need your help with Live Vocalist + Monitors / DJ setup
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »

So I have a DJ (chill out for a second) coming in that has a live vocalist. We've had them before and I was an idiot and couldn't get it together and ended up just routing the microphone through the mixer and looked like an idiot.

Standard DJ Booth Stuff then this
- One (1) Alesis Microverb or Digital Lexicon (Settings are 440ms/21% feedback)
- One (1) Compressor unit for vocals.
- One (1) Separate Mixing board for vocals / effects
- One (1) Shure SM58

Then this for the setup...

• Stage monitors must have both music and vocals coming through each of the monitors. Sound technician must be able to adjust volume of music and vocals separately in stage monitors.
• The vocals must also be routed back to the DJ's monitors. (This is necessary for the DJ to hear the vocals for proper mixing and cueing of each track that is performed)
• Separate mixing board is required for the microphone and EFX unit and compressor. (for no reason should the DJ mixer be routed through the vocal mixer and then to the house)
• The vocal EFX must be routed only to house system and not to stage monitors.

This is generally a set it and forget it type thing, not a lot of dynamic "mixing going on" so i figure i may be able to handle this. This was my idea because what i have at my disposal is a behringer Xenyx 802 mixer (I know the B word, but lets get over that). So let me know if you think this would work...

DJM-800 Mixer being used FWIW

DJ Mixer MASTER XLR Outputs to Amps and house system
DJ Mixer MASTER RCA output to vocal mixer CD/Tape input (With CD/Tape to CTRL Room depressed")

VOCALS SM58 (Splitter)
Input 1 & 2 (Same signal)

Channel 1 Vocals used as MASTER
Insert Compressor inline
PAN Left
Effects Up to whatever they need to be
ON Behringer Xenyx 802 ONLY return Delay effects to LEFT Channel
MASTER Left Output to DJ Mixer Microphone input (DJM-800 XLR input with level adjustment)
Should give Vocals with effects w/ NO MUSIC combined with CD instrumental track playing on DJ Mixer for the master mix.

Channel 2 Vocals for Monitors with NO EFFECTS
PAN Right
Effects DOWN
CTRL Room Right Output 1/4" Output to Floor Monitors
Should give vocals + music with no effects to floor monitors separate from DJ booth stuff controllable via behringer mixer.

Am I a mad scientist? Let me know if i'm crazy...but i think it could work :)

Josh Billings

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: I need your help with Live Vocalist + Monitors / DJ setup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »

Hi Josh, please come back from the dark side!

But serious, I do not think this is a good idea:  "DJ Mixer MASTER XLR Outputs to Amps and house system" - You need to be able to throttle him, in some way.

Why the seperate mixer for vocals?
You have a house system, right? Why not simply route:

DJ L/R -> 2 main mixer chans
Vocal - > 1 main mixer ( insert comp)
Patch in their effects, return thru channel
Mix1 downstage monitors for vocals
Mix2 upstage monitors for DJ

Simple.

You will have enough walwarts on stage, you dont need yet another with the Behringer mixer.

Mike

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »

Hi Josh, please come back from the dark side!

But serious, I do not think this is a good idea:  "DJ Mixer MASTER XLR Outputs to Amps and house system" - You need to be able to throttle him, in some way.

Why the seperate mixer for vocals?
You have a house system, right? Why not simply route:

DJ L/R -> 2 main mixer chans
Vocal - > 1 main mixer ( insert comp)
Patch in their effects, return thru channel
Mix1 downstage monitors for vocals
Mix2 upstage monitors for DJ

Simple.

You will have enough walwarts on stage, you dont need yet another with the Behringer mixer.

Mike

That's a good setup.  The DJ might want to have control over his mix in the monitors though.  The DJM800 has a booth output.  Route this into two seperate channels on your mixing console, and send those channels, not the DJ main XLR outs, to his monitor mix along with the vocalist mic.  This way he can control his levels in the monitor, but the vocalist's levels will be fixed.

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »

802 has no inserts, and no monitor sends. You shouldn't even consider using it. If the client is specifying that the DJ mixer cannot be routed thru the live mixer they are making your life ridiculously complicated, but I've had to deal with worse.

Get a small mixer w/ inserts and 2 aux mixes. Mic into ch 1, insert comp in ch 1, run rec out from DJ mixer to ch 2 (or stereo ch if available), efx return to ch 3. Aux 1 for mon, aux 2 for efx; Main output for live mixer into line input on DJ mixer, unbalanced should be fine unless there is a long distance between the 2. DO NOT turn up the DJ feed into the main out on the live board. DO NOT turn up the FX in the monitor output.
There are several other ways to accomplish the same thing, but this is simple and cost-effective. What DJ mixer do you have?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Josh Billings

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

To answer all the questions.

- No need to throttle him, he is a professional (Touring artist and getting paid quite well)

- I do NOT have a mixer for live stuff. I usually always do DJ / Dance music events (not wedding DJ stuff). The live stuff I've done in the past I've generally paid $300 for somebody to come in and deal with the headaches of it.

- The rider specifies a separate mixer for vocals

Since the 802 has no inserts can I just connect the compressor inline? Like Microphone to compressor / compressor to XLR on channel 1? And wouldn't the control room act as a monitor mix? And since I'm using L/R as 2 separate mixes wouldn't it act as a monitor mix / master mix?

Thanks for your help so far guys

Josh Billings

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »

To answer all the questions.

- No need to throttle him, he is a professional (Touring artist and getting paid quite well)

- I do NOT have a mixer for live stuff. I usually always do DJ / Dance music events (not wedding DJ stuff). The live stuff I've done in the past I've generally paid $300 for somebody to come in and deal with the headaches of it.

- The rider specifies a separate mixer for vocals

Since the 802 has no inserts can I just connect the compressor inline? Like Microphone to compressor / compressor to XLR on channel 1? And wouldn't the control room act as a monitor mix? And since I'm using L/R as 2 separate mixes wouldn't it act as a monitor mix / master mix?

Thanks for your help so far guys

Josh Billings

Nope, the comp works on line level signals, after the mic level preamp in a mixer.

You could possibly compress the entire output of the "vocal only" mixer.

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

;D Good luck with that.

Josh Billings

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:32:25 AM »

;D Good luck with that.

I've had him play many times before...no need for luck...he is a professional.

Josh Billings

Josh Billings

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »

Nope, the comp works on line level signals, after the mic level preamp in a mixer.

You could possibly compress the entire output of the "vocal only" mixer.

I think i might just try this out :)

Josh Billings

Tracy Garner

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »

I think i might just try this out :)

Josh Billings

- I have used a wireless receiver to Compressor to FX Unit (Use wet/dry control) to DJ Mixer mic input for many many reggae acts over the years.

- Booth output on the DJ mixer may not pass the microphone signal so use the same main output signal for main/monitor and simply adjust the gain on the monitor amp or eq.

Josh Billings

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »

- I have used a wireless receiver to Compressor to FX Unit (Use wet/dry control) to DJ Mixer mic input for many many reggae acts over the years.

- Booth output on the DJ mixer may not pass the microphone signal so use the same main output signal for main/monitor and simply adjust the gain on the monitor amp or eq.

The DJM-800 is handy because it has a switch to add / cut the mic signal from the monitors :)

Josh Billings

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.