ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Glue Only?  (Read 19000 times)

Ray Buksa

Re: Glue Only?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

The only joint I have can recall coming apart was glued and screwed. That however (the screws and glue) was not cause of its coming apart it was a poorly designed butt joint with little or no support.

The last boxes I made 2 yrs ago used simple brads from a nail gun and where clamped and glued also. They've been in the rain and dropped more than once. The boxes used baltic birch and rabbit joints. They still look great.

It did add some rub rails or runners on the bottoms to take the abuse. I made the runners from compost wood decking. That stuff has taken a pounding.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »

When we have had cabinets built for us they have always been screwed and glued, to be fair it cant take much longer to screw as well can it ??????

Steve Anderson

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 01:21:34 AM »

Slightly off-topic...

PL Premium seems to be a Loctite product. It is not one that Loctite sell in Australia. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent from another manufacturer??

Cheers...

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »

I've had good results with almost any yellow "carpenter's" glue. If you secure the joint well enough (clamps, screws, etc) it will be satisfactory. It is a good idea to try out your choices IF you are building a fair amount of cabinets.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

George Dougherty

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »

I've built a fair number of cabinets and the expanding poly glues are great to fill in any potential leaks and build airtight joints.  Yellow glue is slightly stronger than the poly glues, but you either need immaculate finish work or sealer after the fact.  Dado'd joints help there.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »

I use screws and 1x1 at all joints as well as bracing front to back, side to side and stringers where needed. Tightbond 2 glue.

Jeremy McNichol

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

Glued and srewwed is best , that aside 18 gauge Brad nails really help out when gluing
especially when you put them on an angle. Big plus as welll they don't kill the router bit.

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »

I've been working on a sub project and was wandering if anyone had built with glue only Joints.

I've tried to take apart previous boxes I've put together with glue and screws, and it always ends in destruction of the joint.

The glues are stronger than the wood.

All these joints are quite tight by design no butt joints. Mostly dados or some combo. Clean well managed cuts.

So how does a glue only joint hold up?  No cheapo glues here either

used many types of glues. lately, epoxy or west system, when clamped impossible to break in the joint. inspite of all that, i still use screws. always! boxes with both stand up better when dropped from a height. and i'm not talking the regular 4' ground stacked height. in my time i have unfortunately seen a lot of stuff fall

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »

You should clarify; Was it the glue that came apart, or the mdf itself? I've destroyed a few MDF cabinets and the glue always holds tight while the MDF itself delaminates and tears at the joints.

In my experience MDF is a poor choice of materials when you are talking about a cabinet that will be moved a lot. Even cheap plywood is a better choice for PA cabs.

MDF is great for prototyping and building home hi-fi cabinets though. Its very easy to work with and is very uniform and non-resonant.

+1 MDF is a poor choice for almost anything, Elmer's "Carpenters Wood Glue" is great.

No "Butt Joints" unless you use Screws.

Regards,  John

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

Hello,

Screws or air driven staples or nails make the assembly of a cabinet much easier, when they are used to hold the work pieces stationary while the glue or adhesives bond.

But, once an industrial glue is set, there is no need for a screw, nail or staple, and these fasteners add no additional strength to the cabinet joint.  The wood will break before the glued joint will break, and if the wood breaks, the mechanical fasteners won't stop the damage.

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.