ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: analog way vs. macs  (Read 5758 times)

Cliff Fuller

analog way vs. macs
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »

I've got an Analog Way Easy Fade that I'm trying to interface 2 Mac laptops with. The device recognizes that there are 2 computers on inputs 5 and 6 but will only pass input 5 reliably. I've tried different resolutions as well as different combinations of computer/inputs (including input 7) but the best I get is an output from the 2nd laptop that appears to have lost sync or something. If 2 Windows boxes are used everything seems to work perfectly.

Any ideas? Thanks .....

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: analog way vs. macs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:53:53 AM »

Are the Macs actually VGA out or are they mini DisplayPort with an adapter cable?  The mini Display Port to VGA adapter cables seem to be somewhat problematic.

Cliff Fuller

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »

Are the Macs actually VGA out or are they mini DisplayPort with an adapter cable?  The mini Display Port to VGA adapter cables seem to be somewhat problematic.

Thanks for responding, Brad.

These Macs are older, G4 Powerbooks. Their display outputs are DVI-I (with analog RGB). We have tried both, the Apple DVI to VGA dongles and those manufactured by 3rd parties.

I have read about the issues with the mini Display Port adapters. That headache will be for another day after I upgrade my laptop  ;)

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

I have almost a dozen macs with mini-display ports and use them in a wide variety of different scenarios. So long as you realize that OSX (like Vista/Win7) obeys EDID religiously and keep the appropriate spoofers around you shouldn't have a problem.

I believe that you are probably seeing EDID issues, although I must admit it has been a very long time since I have used G series hardware. Even so, assuming it is running OSX, it should obey the same rules.

That said, Current I have a variety of Macs with outputs encompassing DVI, Mini-DVI, and Mini-Display-Port. All of them need various adapters to get where they are going. We use mostly Analog Way and older TVOne boxes. They all need a spoofers to work properly.

You should make sure you keep both DVI EDID spoofers (Gefen makes the Detective) or VGA EDID spoofers (I keep Kramer VP-200K around) for these types of jobs/troubleshooting

Hope that helps,

Karl P

Cliff Fuller

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

I have almost a dozen macs with mini-display ports and use them in a wide variety of different scenarios. So long as you realize that OSX (like Vista/Win7) obeys EDID religiously and keep the appropriate spoofers around you shouldn't have a problem.

I believe that you are probably seeing EDID issues, although I must admit it has been a very long time since I have used G series hardware. Even so, assuming it is running OSX, it should obey the same rules.

That said, Current I have a variety of Macs with outputs encompassing DVI, Mini-DVI, and Mini-Display-Port. All of them need various adapters to get where they are going. We use mostly Analog Way and older TVOne boxes. They all need a spoofers to work properly.

You should make sure you keep both DVI EDID spoofers (Gefen makes the Detective) or VGA EDID spoofers (I keep Kramer VP-200K around) for these types of jobs/troubleshooting

Hope that helps,

Karl P

Some other reading that I've done supports your suggestion, Karl. I finally got my hands on a "spoofer" dongle but it didn't seem to resolve the issue. I did find it interesting that the particular adapter I used didn't need it's optional power transformer if I connected it directly to the computer (after the DVI to VGA adapter) but did need it if connected at the other end of the VGA cable before the switcher/scaler.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.