ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SGM Idea Spot 250 vs Martin MAC 250 Krypton  (Read 7739 times)

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
SGM Idea Spot 250 vs Martin MAC 250 Krypton
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to have some advices on witch moving head is better with the following conditions :

1 Mac's are second hand with around 2000hr of work hours
2 SGM are brand new in their carton box.
3 Price is about the same

The aplication is 50% concerts and 50% Dance Party's, Weddings and Prom's
They will both be housed in roadcases and they will travel a couple of times a year.
We use Grand MA and Chamsys as far as control.

Is there anyone who have used both moving heads ? How is the SGM compared to the Martin in terms of output and quality ( casing, hardware, ease of maintenance ... )

Here is the SGM website : http://www.sgmtechnologyforlighting.com/prodotti.asp?co_id=1075

Thank you very much,

Othmane Alaoui

James Feenstra

Re: SGM Idea Spot 250 vs Martin MAC 250 Krypton
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

the entours have more gobos (1 fixed wheel of breakups plus the rotating gobo wheel from the krypton, rotating wheel also has one more gobo than the sgm), better optics, more colors (12 vs 8.) and are more rider friendly

the sgms will have a warranty and come new..

can't speak too much in regards to service as I've never been inside the small SGMs, but I know the synthesis series (in particularly the sgm 700) is a pain to service and you can't change the gobos in them either

the entour gobos are interchangeable, which is great for custom stuff for 'corporate' shows where the clients want logos and stuff projected in various locations

if they're the same price, I'd get the entours, as overall they're a better fixture and have more features for the money. If the sgms had an iris it'd be a tougher decision, but as they don't...
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Othmane Alaoui

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »

Thank you James,

The Martin's I can get are not Entours but Kryptons, I am aware they are almost the same ... But, is the comparaison still good ?

Regards,

Othmane Alaoui

Othmane Alaoui

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »

And What About Design spot 250 vs Krypton's 250 ? The delaer offered this product also ...

Thank,

Othmane Alaoui

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »

Thank you James,

The Martin's I can get are not Entours but Kryptons, I am aware they are almost the same ... But, is the comparaison still good ?

Regards,

Othmane Alaoui
In the case of kryptons, the optics are compareable to the sgm, you'll get one more rotating gobo and 4 more colors than the sgm

They're also super easy to service.

If they're used they should probably be a bit cheaper than new sgms, as they're a fairly old light, not sure how much longer Martin will be keeping support for them around, although they use the same parts as the entour so you're probably ok for at least 5-10 years after theyre discontinued on getting parts.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:03:03 AM »

the entours have more gobos (1 fixed wheel of breakups plus the rotating gobo wheel from the krypton, rotating wheel also has one more gobo than the sgm), better optics, more colors (12 vs 8.) and are more rider friendly

the sgms will have a warranty and come new..

can't speak too much in regards to service as I've never been inside the small SGMs, but I know the synthesis series (in particularly the sgm 700) is a pain to service and you can't change the gobos in them either

the entour gobos are interchangeable, which is great for custom stuff for 'corporate' shows where the clients want logos and stuff projected in various locations

if they're the same price, I'd get the entours, as overall they're a better fixture and have more features for the money. If the sgms had an iris it'd be a tougher decision, but as they don't...
[/quote

thats odd.. I always thought the giotto 400 was one of the best built lights around... and its not exactly a new fixture - im surprised you feel that way bout their 700..

I've used quite a bit of SGM led and Giottos. I love them. I'm also a dealer. The pro line stuff and LED wins almost any shootout I've ever done. but no experience with this particular fixture and it is in their "club line"

James Feenstra

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

i've used the 700s several times, and would rather have mac 700s any day

the 700s are heavy and big...and you can't change the gobos. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to get the rotating gobos out of the lights anyways.

Had to fix one on a show that would only color mix to yellow when cyan was at full, and they were a bit annoying to navigate inside as what I was looking for wasn't overly accessible when I took the cover off
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.