ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX 612m  (Read 23395 times)

Luke Landis

JBL PRX 612m
« on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »

Bought two of these for SOS, fills, and wedges when I need extras. I already have some MRX 512m, and SRX 712m wedges. The passive stuff is run off Xti 4000's, 8 ohm 750ish watts. Good match for most of my gigs.

So far, these are LIGHT! Fit and Finnish is very nice. I like the combo input jacks for when I want some quick music in the backyard with an iPod.

Did a gig with them last week, but I was short on time to really compare them to the MRX stuff. Key wedge was loud as hell, and seemed to hold together well. The angle really sucks for floor wedge!!! Really can't believe JBL hosed this up.

I'll have some time this weekend To run them right next to the MRX. They are the same speaker/horn, so it will be interesting to see the differences.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
Re: JBL PRX 612m
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »

... the MRX. They are the same speaker/horn, so it will be interesting to see the differences.
In the spec sheets, the HF drivers are listed as the same for both, but does anyone know if there is any significant difference between the 262H LF driver in the MRX512M and the 262F-1 LF driver in the PRX612M?

The reasons I am questioning this are that the MRX spec sheet says 305mm (12") and the PRX spec sheet says 380mm(???) dual voice coil, and claimed measured peak SPL for the PRX is 134 dB, 5 dB higher than the MRX. For the size difference, it seems they may have copied the PRX615M spec sheet for the PRX612M, and forgotten to change the driver diameter. The MRX peak SPL of 129 (calculated) is consistent with the claimed sensitivity of 97 dB 1m/1w and the peak power handling of 1400 watts. The PRX peak SPL was measured by unmuting IEC pink noise for a very brief time, which seems to give higher SPLs than the calculation method, but could this really give a peak SPL 5 dB higher just based on measured vs calculated?

If you get a chance, it would be great to compare the PRX612M with the SRX712M, for your subjective opinion on sound quality. SPL harder to compare, as the SRXs need lots of power to reach their peak.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:04:25 PM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

cliff truesdell

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:53:43 AM »

I would like to hear your thoughts about those speakers too. Ive used a pair of PRX612's for a speaking conference and they did ok. Im still very interested in the SRX712's and Im thinking they will be one of my next purchases.

Luke Landis

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

I would like to hear your thoughts about those speakers too. Ive used a pair of PRX612's for a speaking conference and they did ok. Im still very interested in the SRX712's and Im thinking they will be one of my next purchases.

Well, the band seems to like them, but I need some time to test side by side. Used one for a keyboard player wedge with box as well. Gets very loud for sure.

This weekend I will be doing a small rock show with two 712s on one side of an Itech 6k, and one of the PRX for a fill speaker side of stage for a odd shaped bar. Two 718s on the other side. I'm interested to hear it next to the 712.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »

How did it go? Any follow-up on the comparison between the SRX712M and the PRX612M at your show last week?

Luke Landis

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »

How did it go? Any follow-up on the comparison between the SRX712M and the PRX612M at your show last week?
The small, SRX stuff Is just better. Not that the PRX is not great, but at the SPL I need to run, when I use the the smaller 712s, at a rock gig is a bit beyond the PRX comfort level. They do sound good, and get very loud, but for rock, I'd pass. For small semi acoustic shows, small rooms, DJs and the like, the will do FOH fine. Still sorting out if I like them better than my MRX wedges, should be real close sounding....

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »

Thanks Luke. So it sounds like the SRX712M can sound good at higher SPLs than the PRX612M. Any opinion on differences in sound quality between the SRX and PRX at the more moderate SPLs for which the PRX is comfortable?

Luke Landis

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »

Thanks Luke. So it sounds like the SRX712M can sound good at higher SPLs than the PRX612M. Any opinion on differences in sound quality between the SRX and PRX at the more moderate SPLs for which the PRX is comfortable?

I will say this again..the angle as a wedge just plain sux.

Used as a key wedge again last night. Very loud and clear. More lows than the passive 512. Not as barky in the 500hz to 350hz.

I promise to do a side by side with a 712m.

LOVE the light weight!!

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 11:59:05 AM »

Yeah, it is not clear to me why they made the monitor angle so low, although I don't see this as a fatal flaw, just a PITA to have to carry wood blocks to redirect the monitors. The sound is more important. I will go AB the PRX with the MRX, but no one around here (or in most places) has an SRX712M in stock and set up to compare with the PRX, so your opinion on that comparison would be very useful. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:01:46 PM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

Yeah, it is not clear to me why they made the monitor angle so low, although I don't see this as a fatal flaw, just a PITA to have to carry wood blocks to redirect the monitors. The sound is more important. I will go AB the PRX with the MRX, but no one around here (or in most places) has an SRX712M in stock and set up to compare with the PRX, so your opinion on that comparison would be very useful. Thanks again.

Yes, use wood blocks if everything else about it works. The world's most ubiquitous and widely accepted pro monitor gets deployed more often than not with something to change the angle.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.