ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Network & Control Issues?  (Read 6735 times)

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
Wireless Network & Control Issues?
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »

One of our field sales guys brought this to my attention in his latest report:

In a visit with a dealer of ours yesterday afternoon who in addition to having a concert sound rental and installation company, currently runs the FOH console for several major acts. We were discussing iPad and iPhone/smartphone audio applications and I asked him if he had used any of the aforementioned devices in a concert environment.  He stated that he tested out several iPad applications using a private wireless Ethernet network during the setup and pre-show during several concerts. 

He said that the connection to his private network was unreliable due to the sheer number of people in the audience with smartphones, a majority of who have WiFi enabled on their phones looking for networks to  hop on. He also mentioned that he did not even broadcast his wireless network SSID. This is why he only uses wired Ethernet for shows.

Anyone else out there have experience with this issue?
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Jelmer de Jong

Re: Wireless Network & Control Issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »

Yes, as soon as 10.000 idiots come in the thing is dead. Disabeling the SSID broadcast does'nt help, there are still 10.000 transmitters in the air, searching for something. Try a 5GHz a/n router, most phones are limited to 2.4GHz b/g/n. 5GHz has a lower penetration where walls are involved, but the venues where there is 5 20" concrete wall between stage and FOH probbably have other issues...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

One of our field sales guys brought this to my attention in his latest report:Anyone else out there have experience with this issue?

I don't have to deal with those crowds, but I have my Airport set to not broadcast SSID, and to only use 5GHz. As Jelmer mentioned, phones don't do 5GHz. I use an Airport Express, which has no external antenna connections, it I was doing this in a concert environment I would use a 5GHz AP that I could attach to an antenna with gain that is at least 8' in the air to get over people's heads.

In the environment I work in having the 5GHz AP on top of the console doghouse has been enough.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »

As others have stated, attempting to utilize the 2.4GHz spectrum once doors open is foolish at best, disastrous at worst. I've seen many large scale special events and corporates where the spectrum basically collapsed and became useless for all. Tragedy of the commons realized.

Again, as other already said, the 5GHz band is [so far] still quite a usable alternative in most venues and situations.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »

I'm glad this thread came about - good to know. I liked using 5GHz with our iPad connection to the router, but our audiences are fairly small and we're not dealing with obstructions - line of sight and short distances

Humorous to see Karl as a newbie and Henry as a Jr. member - as they say "That ain't right!"  :)

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »

I'm glad this thread came about - good to know. I liked using 5GHz with our iPad connection to the router, but our audiences are fairly small and we're not dealing with obstructions - line of sight and short distances

Humorous to see Karl as a newbie and Henry as a Jr. member - as they say "That ain't right!"  :)

I guess I'd better get my post count up!  ::)

The 5 GHz solution may be short-lived, but at least it appears to work for now.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-products/rf-microwave-products/4214308/5-GHz-WiFi-front-end-modules--FEMs--for-handsets--smartphones-and-tablets

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2011/02/15/50498/mwc-2011-wi-fi-moves-to-5ghz-for-more-channel-capacity.htm
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »

The 5GHz band is [so far] still quite a usable alternative in most venues and situations.

Any recommendations on a 5Ghz AP that accepts a high-gain antenna?

Joakim Hammar

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »

Any recommendations on a 5Ghz AP that accepts a high-gain antenna?

I can strongly recommend Ubiquiti "Bullet M5"  www.ubnt.com

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »

I can strongly recommend Ubiquiti "Bullet M5"  www.ubnt.com

I find this quite interesting.
Would you mind give some infos about your experience with this product?
What do you use it for?
How reliable is it in your experience?
What kind of range are you able to get?
How does it change the "overload" situation caused by thousands of WiFi devices trying to connect?

Cheers

Dan

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

I find this quite interesting.
Would you mind give some infos about your experience with this product?
What do you use it for?
As a standard 5GHz access point.

How reliable is it in your experience?
Very. It's a carrier class AP, PtP and PtMP weatherproof (with proper sealing of the antenna connection) device.

What kind of range are you able to get?
All depends on the deployment height, obstructions, type of antenna and RF quality of the client radio/antenna. As it's 100mW TX and -75dBm RX @ 54Mbps, with a good antenna range will be very good.

How does it change the "overload" situation caused by thousands of WiFi devices trying to connect?
First, it operates in the 5GHz spectrum in which most (all?) mobiles phones can't, and there's more spectrum in general. Secondly as a carrier class product, it can be set to dynamic channel allocation based on the best channel available, it has better traffic management and can be set to slower data rates and narrower channel bandwidths.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.