ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling iTechs for XTis... Am I crazy?  (Read 5088 times)

Brian Larson

Selling iTechs for XTis... Am I crazy?
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:09:32 am »

With the recent price increase of iTechs, I have been seriously reconsidering my amplification.

I currently run two EV QRX212s on an IT6000 and 2 Worxaudio dual-18"s on an IT8k.

I already own two more subs (4 total) that I haven't used and I am about to purchase two more QRX212 to expand my rig into one larger system that can still be split into two smaller systems.

On top of that I would like to start biamping the QRX212s so I would need an additional high amp (or two)

With those additions I would be spending nearly $8000 on amps if I stuck with iTechs.

I just can't continue buying up iTechs if they are going to be so expensive. (I can't even get an IT4000 for what I paid for my IT8000 last year!)

So my plan is this; Sell my iTechs for a profit and use that money (and some) to buy:

2x XTi 1000 for highs
2x XTi 4000 for mids
2x XTi 6000 for subs

Total cost for XTis would be around $4600; way less than iTechs.

Is that totally insane?  :o (Keep in mind I'm posting this at 1 AM after a very long day... I may just need you to smack me out of this bad idea.)

I know folks don't love XTis on subs but I recall hearing the XTi6000 is basically an iTech with limited DSP. If that is the case it would make things easy by only having one type of amp on hand.

How much better would the system be if I kept two iTechs for subs and used XTis for mids and highs? (I really don't want to do this because of differing delay times and input sensitivities.)

Will I miss the sound and punch of my iTechs if I switch to XTi?

(By the way, we are talking first gen XTis)

Thanks! And if this should be in the lounge I apologize.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Selling iTechs for XTis... Am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:13:46 am »

With the recent price increase of iTechs, I have been seriously reconsidering my amplification.

I currently run two EV QRX212s on an IT6000 and 2 Worxaudio dual-18"s on an IT8k.

I already own two more subs (4 total) that I haven't used and I am about to purchase two more QRX212 to expand my rig into one larger system that can still be split into two smaller systems.

On top of that I would like to start biamping the QRX212s so I would need an additional high amp (or two)

With those additions I would be spending nearly $8000 on amps if I stuck with iTechs.

I just can't continue buying up iTechs if they are going to be so expensive. (I can't even get an IT4000 for what I paid for my IT8000 last year!)

So my plan is this; Sell my iTechs for a profit and use that money (and some) to buy:

2x XTi 1000 for highs
2x XTi 4000 for mids
2x XTi 6000 for subs

Is that totally insane?  :o (Keep in mind I'm posting this at 1 AM after a very long day... I may just need you to smack me out of this bad idea.)

I know folks don't love XTis on subs but I recall hearing the XTi6000 is basically an iTech with limited DSP. If that is the case it would make things easy by only having one type of amp on hand.

How much better would the system be if I kept two iTechs for subs and used XTis for mids and highs? (I really don't want to do this because of differing delay times and input sensitivities.)

It Xti 6000 is NOT an I-Tech with limited DSP.

There are sonic differences between the amps.  I suggest you rent or borrow some XTi to evaluate those differences.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »

It Xti 6000 is NOT an I-Tech with limited DSP.

+1

You're insane ;)

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that the IT6000 kicks the crap out of the XTi6000. I'd keep the amps you have and save up for more.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Chris Van Duker

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »

I think you should keep as many Itechs as you can, and use XTI only when necessary. Also, the limiters on the x000 XTI amps are lousy. I'll be trying an XTI1002 on highs shortly -- hopefully that works better than the original series. But all the other bands are staying Itech.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:26 pm »

2x XTi 1000 for highs
2x XTi 4000 for mids
2x XTi 6000 for subs

I've got six XTi 4000 amps I'd be happy to trade for your ITs :)

I ran four of the XTi 4000 amps bridged for my JBL SRX 728s cabs for three years. The extra 1,500 watts of power in the IT8000 (4000/ch driving two 728s cabs) probably added 2 dB of headroom. Not much, but only taking 2U of rack space rather than 4U reduced the weight and truck pack. That was important to me.
Currently, I'm using the XTi 4000 amps, bridged, to drive some SRX 712m monitors. That's a tad underpowered (really want 1,600 watts into 8 ohms, not the 1,250 that the XTi amps deliver). IT6000s would be perfect for that.

BTW, the Crown rep told me that the XTi 6000 *power supply* was about as efficient as the IT amps; but he didn't go as far as to say that the amps were otherwise equivalent. Of course, the ITs have digital I/O and ethernet I/O as well as a fancier DSP. If you're not using those features, that's one thing to consider. I use a Drive Rack (260 currently, eyeing an upgrade to a 4800), so I just use the IT8Ks that I own as dumb amps. Someday that may change.  At least I have the option of using the DSPs.

As everyone states, I'd stick with the ITs and add XTi as necessary. But again, if you're wanting to get rid of the IT8K and IT6K, I'm in the market so let me know.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Mike Reilly

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:30 am »

Setting aside the sonic differences for the moment . . .

Based on this thread and your previous post (Why are the price of iTechs going up ?) it seems like you're basing your growth plans on finding a specific piece of equipment at a specific price on the used/refurb/discontinued market.

I don't think this is a very good idea, especially for core gear, like amplifiers.

I'd say you've got three options:

1) Decide you're gonna be an iTech company, thank your lucky stars that you were able to get started at a really really good price, alter your expansion timeline & financial planning so you can buy iTechs at their current price or even be able to afford new iTechs.

2) Decide that being an iTech company is just too rich for your blood right now, sell the iTechs and go with an amp that you can realistically afford, especially NEW amps.

3) Drastically slow down your expansion plans & spend hours & hours & hours prowling the web & waiting to see if the price goes down and/or you finally find a fantastic deal.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »

2x XTi 1000 for highs
2x XTi 4000 for mids
2x XTi 6000 for subs

You are crazy yes. You ever hear an XTI clip? You ever try to run a show on low voltage and watch the XTI fail while the ITech continue to run on voltage as low as 95 volts (it happened to me this year...don't ask)?
Even if you never use the processing, the XTI is not nearly the amp as the iTech. I would say purchase older MacroTechs before I would even try to trade off IT for XTI.

Steven Gustafson

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:47:42 am »

2x XTi 1000 for highs
2x XTi 4000 for mids
2x XTi 6000 for subs

You will also run into latency and delay issues.  Study up on latency.  Save your money.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:59:06 am »

I think you also have to look at what kind of shows you do. We have a couple of racks of various XTi 1st gen and they make perfect sense for our shows. We mostly do low budget (sub $1500) events and could not really justify the iTechs. They are obviously better amps, but you have to look at what you (and your customer) are paying.
  Kind of like the $4 'steakburger' is a little different than the Outback special. Sorry, I love analogies.

On the other hand if the $ is spent I would just consider adding Xtis for highs and such as needed, as a previous poster mentioned.
Good luck.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:59:06 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.