ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic for bass player  (Read 7619 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Mic for bass player
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »

+1

Try a Super or Hyper-Cardioid mic.
Just be aware that a super or hyper cardioid pattern will normally have a back lobe that is not present in a cardioid mic and that may factor in if you have floor monitors.

brenti

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »

Forgive me for not reading everyone's three paragraph post.  Anyway, I would suggest a gate (a good one, too).  If your singer sings directly into the mic, he will most likely be louder (to the mic) than the drums.  People who knock gates probably have cheap units or do not have the gates configured correctly.  A properly configured Compressor/Limiter/Gate will give your sound engineer a huge amount of added control.

Brent

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »

The gate will do nothing to stop the drum bleed whenever the bass player is singing, and, as was pointed out, the repetitive opening and closing of the gate may make the situation more annoying. 

Besides, if the drums really are the loudest thing picked up by the vocal mic (or even close to it), you will not be able to dial in gate settings that actually work.  You can't "properly configure" a gate if the unwanted signal isn't significantly below the wanted signal.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »

i had an akg c747 i used for a snare mic and it had a very tight hyper pattern. i went back the the sm57 to capture more of the snare drum sound. the c747 is said to be good for vocals.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

People who knock gates probably have cheap units or do not have the gates configured correctly.  A properly configured Compressor/Limiter/Gate will give your sound engineer a huge amount of added control.

Brent
Brent, even if the engineer used a gate with parametric sidechain filters, they would most likely have to set the depth (or whatever their piece of kit calls the amount of attenuation) to such a small amount that it wouldn't be worth using the gate in the first place - otherwise pumping artifacts might be noticeable due to too much attenuation.  Of course, a slower release time might be needed, but could cause subtleties to be lost if the singer doesn't stay on-mic.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »

Brent, did you note toward the top of the page where it says "Your Displayed Name Muse Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums"?  You need to go to "Profile" the "Modify Profile" and the "Account Settings" and change your displayed name to be you real full name.  If you don't do that quickly the Moderators may lock this thread until you comply.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.