ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting bass level with MixWiz  (Read 3984 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Setting bass level with MixWiz
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:00:25 am »

I'm using an A&H MixWiz 2:DX and have a question about setting bass level.

When I get my bass player's level, I adjust the trim for about +6db on peaks of his hardest hits using PFL.  The eq strip is completely flat... He has so many tone shaping tools in his rig that I prefer he shape everything there without me coloring it for FOH.

When I run his fader up to U, and bring the mains up to U The main level I see with just him playing appears to be really low sitting about -15db.  With both faders up at U I would expect to see the same as what I see as if PFL were on.

I want to get his output up through the mains, but I don't want to overdrive the input in the process.  Any recommendations here?  Is this normal??

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Setting bass level with MixWiz
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:16 am »

When I get my bass player's level, I adjust the trim for about +6db on peaks of his hardest hits using PFL.  The eq strip is completely flat... He has so many tone shaping tools in his rig that I prefer he shape everything there without me coloring it for FOH.

When I run his fader up to U, and bring the mains up to U The main level I see with just him playing appears to be really low sitting about -15db.  With both faders up at U I would expect to see the same as what I see as if PFL were on.

I want to get his output up through the mains, but I don't want to overdrive the input in the process.  Any recommendations here?  Is this normal??

You should be able to get by with a +9 to +12db peak (if he is indeed hitting the strings hard).  It's understandable to avoid adjusting tone controls at FOH when they have all that stuff on stage; though, you may want to try boosting about +6 or +9db on the low shelf.

The big question, does the bass output actually sound -15db quieter than the others that are playing?  Or are you just looking at board levels?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:02 am »

I really don't understand your concern. When you meter the main bus I would expect one channel by itself to be low. That is so you have room to add the other 15 channels on the board to the same bus without clipping it. Hopefully your gain structure is such when all of the instruments are in the main bus you are metering between 0- +3 (some people run these boards harder but I personally don't like the distortion).

At this level if the bass is not loud enough compared to the other instruments, you need to check their gain structure and possibly reduce the other instruments in level or if the bass run through the system cannot keep up with guitar amps and drums on stage, you need more FOH rig, or to check gain structure through post board processing like eq's, or get a better handle on stage volume of the other instruments.
Jay Barracato

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »

I was just looking at board levels and now that you mention it, it makes sense to me that a single channel would read lower to allow room for all the other channels.  The gain structure of the system is aligned properly- my MixWiz, DRPA, and Amps all clip at the same point.

The FOH rig is plenty good for most gigs we do- a two U15's in stereo powered by a PLX3402 with two LS808's in parallel fed by a PLX3002 in bridge mono.

Often times it seems I just can't get the bass to stand out in the mix.  I've tried the usual- adding as much as 15db @ 800 hz in his rig.  I just don't know if it's the U15's or what- Seems like the sound from his rig will project mids just fine often overpowering mains... he's not overpowering the subs on the low end, but the U15's in mid definition area.  I thought maybe it was a board level thing where I didn't have levels set correctly.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 05:14:49 pm »

I was just looking at board levels and now that you mention it, it makes sense to me that a single channel would read lower to allow room for all the other channels.  The gain structure of the system is aligned properly- my MixWiz, DRPA, and Amps all clip at the same point.

The FOH rig is plenty good for most gigs we do- a two U15's in stereo powered by a PLX3402 with two LS808's in parallel fed by a PLX3002 in bridge mono.

Often times it seems I just can't get the bass to stand out in the mix.  I've tried the usual- adding as much as 15db @ 800 hz in his rig.  I just don't know if it's the U15's or what- Seems like the sound from his rig will project mids just fine often overpowering mains... he's not overpowering the subs on the low end, but the U15's in mid definition area.  I thought maybe it was a board level thing where I didn't have levels set correctly.

The 800Hz is a bit too high.

Try increasing the low (80Hz?) on the mix wiz somewhere above +9db.  Then, increase the mid somewhere between 1K and 1500hz up about +6db; this should bring out some "snap".  Also, make sure his bass rig sounds good w/out the FOH pa.  If it sounds good coming out of his instrument amp, then you should be expecting it to sound good coming out of FOH.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:23:26 pm »

Often times it seems I just can't get the bass to stand out in the mix. 

Where are you sitting?????
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:48 pm »

Where are you sitting????

No one can hear you eq a channel over the internet.

I would go back to flat at the amp and on the board. I often sweeten the bass with a 800 boost but I dont think I have ever gone past 3-4 db.
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »

No one can hear you eq a channel over the internet.

I would go back to flat at the amp and on the board. I often sweeten the bass with a 800 boost but I dont think I have ever gone past 3-4 db.

My point and the diagram to lend a visual aid is that FOH mix position is often in an area where the bass is cancelling.  It's hard to hear what's happening with el bass if you're seated in a dead zone.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »

My point and the diagram to lend a visual aid is that FOH mix position is often in an area where the bass is cancelling.  It's hard to hear what's happening with el bass if you're seated in a dead zone.

I got your point, and was adding that the cancellations were why the 9-12 db boosts were not effective.
Jay Barracato

Scott Shaw

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 07:54:55 am »

A boost at 500 hz really helped my bass sound stand out. Try sweeping the mids with a 6-10 db boost until you find something you like or dislike. Cut the dislikes and/or leave the likes boosted at whatever level sounds good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 07:54:55 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.