ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping costs (to NZ)  (Read 5364 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Shipping costs (to NZ)
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »

Wild stab in the dark here but has anyone ever shipped anything to New Zealand and if so, who would be the best option?
I am trying to decide if it is worth pursuing some speakers in the marketplace but I have not been able to nail down any shipping costs other than approx $1400 via myus.com  (which seems a little high to me).
I'm looking at at least 2 x EAW sbx220 subs.
I don't need these urgently so slow is fine. 

Thanks

Iain McCulloch

• live sound engineering
Re: Shipping costs (to NZ)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »

You'll probably know all this already but:

I've shipped a few 'bigger/heavier' things into NZ (from Australia, not the States) and on average have been paying just over $300 per cubic meter - varies on the cost of fuel at the time of booking.

That, however, is just the transport cost: my last shipment (a used KV2 ES rig - 2 subs, 2 tops and 2 amps) cost twice that by the time everybody and their dog adds their own charges (Agency Fee, Document Fee, Handling Fee and a host of others)... 

Then: if your goods (used or new) are worth over $1000 (NZ) you will be charged GST at at least %17.5 plus you'll end up with a customs agent fee on top.

As a rough guide the KV2 purchase cost $780 to get it from Aus to NZ and $1100 to get it out of the customs area in Auckland:-(
The used LS9 & rack of goodies due to arrive Friday (Yeah!!) has cost $600 to ship but $1400 to get out of bloody customs.

However, in NZ this still works out as a viable option - the scarcity of good gear and the price makes shipping, especially for the US sometimes the only way. (God, how I envy you Americans, you pay in real-terms, about 33% to 50% of what I have to for everything pro-audio - desperately needed MixWiz for the 'B' rig: Sweetwater $999, Best NZ Price so far: $3000.....)

But when shipping - remember to factor in the GST fees - they are the real killer.

*just realised that this in no way answers your original post.....

Iain

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:39:59 PM by Iain Sweetman »

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:10:11 AM »

Thanks for the info, it all helps  :)

andy craig

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »

Wild stab in the dark here but has anyone ever shipped anything to New Zealand and if so, who would be the best option?
I am trying to decide if it is worth pursuing some speakers in the marketplace but I have not been able to nail down any shipping costs other than approx $1400 via myus.com  (which seems a little high to me).

Thanks

Hi Johnathon,

We've shipped quite a bit of stuff into New Zealand by both air and sea using UTI.
They've been very helpful, especially with such esoteric issues as "Expedited Shipper Status" and a few very tight deadlines.
If you get in touch with them and give them weight, cubes, and location, they'll come back with a very detailed, and very accurate quote.
Chur,
Andy.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »

Hi Johnathon,

We've shipped quite a bit of stuff into New Zealand by both air and sea using UTI.
They've been very helpful, especially with such esoteric issues as "Expedited Shipper Status" and a few very tight deadlines.
If you get in touch with them and give them weight, cubes, and location, they'll come back with a very detailed, and very accurate quote.
Chur,
Andy.

Great, thanks very much.

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

Thanks

Hi,

Do you really need to ship a couple of 2 x12" speaker boxes? Is there something really special about these subs? It would be cheaper to build your own.

So many people do the "big trip", so why not see if you can buy a bit of space from someone coming home. Or check with some of the personal goods shipping companies that deal with AUS/NZ. If you are going to ship a bigger quantity, then it might be worthwhile getting a quote from an established entertainment shipping company like Rock It Cargo.

Iain.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »

The share-a-container idea is a good one, i'll look into that thanks.  As far as making them myself....... I don't really have the tools (or the woodworking skills).
At least with a "known" brand like EAW  (although JBL is  the more recognised brand here) there would be a resonable re-sale value compared to home made speakers.

:)

Mark Dawson

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:58 AM »

Senor Craig is bang on with his comments. We too have imported many items in. UTI is the best way, and you can also combine shipments from multiple US peddlers into one final shipment.  Some freight fowarders even go to the extent of stuffing Neutrik plugs inside the centre of cable reels to maximise your freighting..  :)

Good luck, and get in touch if you need any further info.  With the dollar exchange the way it is then now is the time :)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:06:16 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:19 AM »

Thanks  :)
Keep us up to date on your findings, Jonathon (I have a hankering for another couple of SRX725s - big, heavy and ruinously expensive in NZ).
M

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 06:44:33 AM »

Keep us up to date on your findings, Jonathon (I have a hankering for another couple of SRX725s - big, heavy and ruinously expensive in NZ).
M
There was someone on Trademe just recently importing them and selling them for $3000 inc gst.  Their account has now been disabled.
As for the EAW's I was looking at, the seller still has not replied as yet :(

Mark Dawson

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:27:26 AM »

There was someone on Trademe just recently importing them and selling them for $3000 inc gst.  Their account has now been disabled.
As for the EAW's I was looking at, the seller still has not replied as yet :(

You'll find the authorised dealers are big at jumping up and down at parallel importers selling on trademe.   Anyhow, freight on a single 725 from the US ranges from $400 - $1000 depending on how you go about it...  Obviously you get economies of scale once you go for multiples...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:27:26 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.