ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New MX or second hand PCM or MPX?  (Read 9369 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
New MX or second hand PCM or MPX?
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »

Looking to fill the rack with examples of TC, Yamaha and Lexicon to appease the needs of riders.

I've noticed most Lexicon requests specify PCM, however, new PCM units are way outside the budget. I'm wondering if the MX series will satisfy Lexicon aficionados?

I've also noticed a lot of affection for older PCM units like the PCM60. I wonder if this is abetter way to go?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:03:41 PM by luis Markson »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: New MX or second hand PCM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »

Looking to fill the rack with examples of TC, Yamaha and Lexicon to appease the needs of riders.

I've noticed most Lexicon requests specify PCM, however, new PCM units are way outside the budget. I'm wondering if the MX series will satisfy Lexicon aficionados?

I've also noticed a lot of affection for older PCM units like the PCM60. I wonder if this is abetter way to go?

I prefer the sound of the Lexs, but find them difficult to run/adjust live, especially the MPX500. I just picked up a M-One because of that. I have a PCM60 that is heard on probably every 70s recording ever made, it seems rather noisy compared to the newer units, but great drum verb though, great.

I think if a rider doesnt specific a dig desk and plugins, you will probably be asked for those higher end units, TC and Lex, for an analog configuraiton.

Mike

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »

I agree with Mike, getting around in the MX units is a chore, plus it always sounds to me that the delay in those always has some form of flange on it no matter what preset you use and how much you edit it. (at least on the 500)

If I had to build a rack right now and not spend a fortune I'd fill it with this

(1) TC D two
(2) TC M one or M2000
(1) Yamaha SPX 900 or 2000

If a guy can't get it done with those then they probably need more than just specific units, maybe something along the lines of a clue, or possibly, their own rack.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »

I agree with Mike, getting around in the MX units is a chore, plus it always sounds to me that the delay in those always has some form of flange on it no matter what preset you use and how much you edit it. (at least on the 500)

If I had to build a rack right now and not spend a fortune I'd fill it with this

(1) TC D two
(2) TC M one or M2000

If a guy can't get it done with those then they probably need more than just specific units, maybe something along the lines of a clue, or possibly, their own rack.

We already have a TC M-one, will be getting SPX of some description.

Are the MPX units any more user friendly than the MX?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »

(1) TC D two
(2) TC M one or M2000

I would be very happy to find these on a regular basis. I am more or less heading the same direction for my carry rack.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »

I would be very happy to find these on a regular basis. I am more or less heading the same direction for my carry rack.

My personal carry rack: LXP-15, PCM-60, D-2, M-1XL.  And some other stuff, so it's really a "wheel in" rack.  Honestly, I haven't used it in at least a year.  If I'm faced with a situation where my concern over FX and processing is justified, I usually take an 01v96 and ADA8000.

Have fun, not hernias.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »

My personal carry rack: LXP-15, PCM-60, D-2, M-1XL.  And some other stuff, so it's really a "wheel in" rack.  Honestly, I haven't used it in at least a year.  If I'm faced with a situation where my concern over FX and processing is justified, I usually take an 01v96 and ADA8000.

Have fun, not hernias.

Tim Mc

Tim,

That is exactly what has been holding me up from finishing out this carry rack. Not only would a dedicated digital board by lighter, easier to move, but for these same shows where processing is a concern, it is probably easier just to patch in the 16 channels on the board I need, that it is to find channels to return the outboard.

But wouldn't you know it, I can seem to get the results I want from the SPX unit, but I never seem to be happy with the exact same effects built into the 01V/LS9/M7. As far as I know they are the same, but my results never seem to be.
Jay Barracato

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »

Tim,

That is exactly what has been holding me up from finishing out this carry rack. Not only would a dedicated digital board by lighter, easier to move, but for these same shows where processing is a concern, it is probably easier just to patch in the 16 channels on the board I need, that it is to find channels to return the outboard.

But wouldn't you know it, I can seem to get the results I want from the SPX unit, but I never seem to be happy with the exact same effects built into the 01V/LS9/M7. As far as I know they are the same, but my results never seem to be.

So you're using th built in FX from the 01V with the venues desk?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:10:24 AM »

Tim,

So you're using th built in FX from the 01V with the venues desk?

No.  It means that I figure the console is dodgy, too, and bring my own mixer and thusly have no need of any outboard.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: New MX or second hand PCM or MPX?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

To be honest I just carry a Dtwo in my 'roll in' rack since most venues have an M one or two to play with. It's kind of like a security blanket just in case I see some old unit with no display or tap. I can get by just dialing in a time all day long but I hate guesstimating some blinking light next to a multiplier knob.

The amount of digital consoles I see anymore has kept me from buying more stuff. I'm mainly worried about comps and gates usually.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: New MX or second hand PCM or MPX?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:42 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 26 queries.