ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor gig  (Read 11540 times)

Randall Hyde

Re: Outdoor gig
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »

The band I do sound for is going to be playing an outdoor gig, our first with our equipment. We normally play bars.
Our list of available equipment is this:
Amps 3 Crown I tech 8000 and 1 Yamaha P3500 I use on the highs
2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs
They play southern rock so maybe that gives you an idea of sound level. Would this cover 300 people outdoors? (please excuse me for the dumb question). If not could anything be added to our current stuff to make it work? If so what? Maybe we need a large pro  type system? I have no idea what this will do outside.

thanks in advance for any insight,  Brian

Gee, I just did a show last weekend with six SRX725 columns (two as delay stacks) and four SRX 728s cabs. I used four IT8000 amps for FOH and two bridged XTi 4000 amps for the delays. We had about 4,000 in attendance. It wasn't 110 dB (which is insane) by any stretch of the imagination, but it did a great job. It was a Beach Boy's tribute band and we were probably running between 90 and 100 dB depending on position in the venue.

The only concern I'd have with two 725 columns is the coverage width. I usually cross-fire two on each side of the stage in order to get wide coverage.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Luke Landis

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »

I am wondering what SPL is considered "good" for an audience of 300 people? It sounds to me as if ear splitting levels are becoming the norm.

If I'm uncofortable, so is the crowd. I hate overly loud shows!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »

If it's acoustic music/jazz/bluegrass I like to be where it's around 85dB.  If it's R&B I like it around 95.  If it's rock I can see 105, but it better be a GOOD band.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »

If it's acoustic music/jazz/bluegrass I like to be where it's around 85dB.  If it's R&B I like it around 95.  If it's rock I can see 105, but it better be a GOOD band.

Unfortunately, as PA's have gotten larger, we have created a whole generation of lousy listeners. At many shows 85 db won't even cut the background chatter. In a true listening room, I tend to be closer to 90 for most of the show and usually peak about 95, but often as not I still end up glaring at someone in the crowd who won't shut up. 90 seems comfortable to me, however, many times I seem to be well above that due to crowd behavior.

It even seems worse at shows I paid to attend because I wanted to see (and hear) the artist. I am known for being extemely level headed. Almost anything rolls right off. However, that also means that by time I am worked up enough to actually say anything, the conversation will probably start "look here you ignorant..." A group right behind me at a recent Bela Fleck show almost got the full brunt.
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Unfortunately, as PA's have gotten larger, we have created a whole generation of lousy listeners. At many shows 85 db won't even cut the background chatter. In a true listening room, I tend to be closer to 90 for most of the show and usually peak about 95, but often as not I still end up glaring at someone in the crowd who won't shut up. 90 seems comfortable to me, however, many times I seem to be well above that due to crowd behavior.

It even seems worse at shows I paid to attend because I wanted to see (and hear) the artist. I am known for being extemely level headed. Almost anything rolls right off. However, that also means that by time I am worked up enough to actually say anything, the conversation will probably start "look here you ignorant..." A group right behind me at a recent Bela Fleck show almost got the full brunt.

Jay....

Those are my personal listening levels.  If I'm mixing I do what I have to do given the circumstances.  But if I'm being asked what levels I like, those are pretty much it.  If the ambient noise is too high, nothing is pleasant.  If there are chowderheads talking instead of listening I give them the "look that kills at 10 paces".  If that doesn't work I just join in the conversation and monopolize it........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »

I am known for being extemely level headed. Almost anything rolls right off. However, that also means that by time I am worked up enough to actually say anything, the conversation will probably start "look here you ignorant..." A group right behind me at a recent Bela Fleck show almost got the full brunt.

In Norway we would say:  "He has a long fuse, but a really big powder keg".

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »

If that's dBA slow, then we are in perfect agreement!

I personally think most music just starts to suck at 108 dBA slow and prefer not to go there.  It's just louder than what I like to listen to.  On the rare occations when I mix a show louder than 105 dBA slow it's usually either caused by stage wash or crowd noise, not my own preference.

I did have to laugh at the show where I got an SPL complaint at 72 dB.  Of course, that pegged the meter  ::)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »

Jay....

Those are my personal listening levels.  If I'm mixing I do what I have to do given the circumstances.  But if I'm being asked what levels I like, those are pretty much it.  If the ambient noise is too high, nothing is pleasant.  If there are chowderheads talking instead of listening I give them the "look that kills at 10 paces".  If that doesn't work I just join in the conversation and monopolize it........

I have pretty severe tinnitus left over from the army and my hardcore days so any show I can get through without triggering a bad episode is good night.
Jay Barracato

Mark Gensman

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »

If it's 105 db, I'm not there regardless of how good the band is. That is simply too loud.

Paul van Dort

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:37 AM »

That's a passable system for 300 outside if you're not looking for 110dB rock concert volume.  If it were me I would go with it rather than rent, but make sure you listen for any distortion or other signs of stress on your gear, since you will be tempted to turn it up as far as it will go, and if not careful, can blow up stuff.
If you don't put the mixer too far from the stage, you will be happy with the sound level. Something like 30-40 feet seems fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.