ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Monitors  (Read 9855 times)

Ryan M. Fluharty

Re: Powered Monitors
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:07:11 AM »

We would get a EV ELX115p for the bass and the drums would use in-ears through a headphone amp. 

2 considerations here:

Make sure you have mics on the drums to add into the in ear mix if you haven't already thought that far ahead.  I've found that not having drums mic'd with in ears can make volume issues worse, and personally as a drummer its harder to play finesse and with accuracy since in ears essentially act as a low pass filter.

Concening the bass, what we do at my church is place the bassist's amp in front of him and point it at his ears so it doesn't have to be fed through a monitor send.  One could argue that the sound man has no volume control over the amp, but on the flip side the bassist could still hear himself if anything happened to the monitor feed.  Also, you wouldn't have to worry about getting low end out of the monitors unless of course the bassist needed kick.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »

2 considerations here:

Make sure you have mics on the drums to add into the in ear mix if you haven't already thought that far ahead.  I've found that not having drums mic'd with in ears can make volume issues worse, and personally as a drummer its harder to play finesse and with accuracy since in ears essentially act as a low pass filter.

We do plan on micing the drums (kick, snare, 2 OH's).  You do bring up a good point though.  Will in-ear monitors, even with drum mics, shelter the drummer too much so that he is less aware of the dynamics, as I do not plan on using a drum shield.  Maybe it is just better to have the bassist and drummer share the EV ELX115p?

Concening the bass, what we do at my church is place the bassist's amp in front of him and point it at his ears so it doesn't have to be fed through a monitor send.  One could argue that the sound man has no volume control over the amp, but on the flip side the bassist could still hear himself if anything happened to the monitor feed.  Also, you wouldn't have to worry about getting low end out of the monitors unless of course the bassist needed kick.

Interesting thought, I have seen that before.  I will have to take a look at that.  Thanks. 

Ryan M. Fluharty

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

Will in-ear monitors, even with drum mics, shelter the drummer too much so that he is less aware of the dynamics, as I do not plan on using a drum shield.  Maybe it is just better to have the bassist and drummer share the EV ELX115p?

IMO it can go either way.  If the drummer is not used to playing with IEM's take some time to work with him to get the levels (in ear and level of the drums in FOH) to fit within acceptable levels.  I don't think dynamics are an issue, as even with wedges what you are hearing is not an accurate representation of how the FOH sounds.  If the IEM's are properly set up and mics properly placed, I think you will find the results to be quite pleasant.

If the drummer is playing too loud, you can always turn up the drums in the IEM, tricking him into thinking he's playing louder than he actually is. I can say as a drummer, it works.  Just make sure you aren't blowing his ears in the process.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.