ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: External Pre-Amp Unit for 01V96  (Read 6357 times)

Bill Hinds

External Pre-Amp Unit for 01V96
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »

I need to upgrade my pre-amps from the berhinger to something better.  Would be nice if it would do 8 in/out at the same time.  Looking to see what others are using and their like & dislikes.  I am looking at the Presonus unit but thought I should explore other options.  I also do not think the Presonus will do 8 in/out at the same time but I could be wrong.  Looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Bill

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: External Pre-Amp Unit for 01V96
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

I need to upgrade my pre-amps from the berhinger to something better.  Would be nice if it would do 8 in/out at the same time.  Looking to see what others are using and their like & dislikes.  I am looking at the Presonus unit but thought I should explore other options.  I also do not think the Presonus will do 8 in/out at the same time but I could be wrong.  Looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Bill

Search.  We've discussed this at least twice since the forum switch.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don Spaulding

• Symphonic Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »

Thanks,

Bill

I like the Mackie 800r for inputs. Not a big fan of digimax.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

Thanks,

Bill

Bill. Im using the 2626 ( M-Audio Profire), I like it, the pres sound much better than the 01v96's ( but not as good as a ARX pre I have). It has "thick feeling" pots, very well built, pull knob for pad, little pricey though - ~$500, but has everything on the rear panel. FWIW I typically assign those 8 to the drums, 2nd layer, with link to fader #1 on the top.

Mike

Bill Hinds

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »

Bill. Im using the 2626 ( M-Audio Profire), I like it, the pres sound much better than the 01v96's ( but not as good as a ARX pre I have). It has "thick feeling" pots, very well built, pull knob for pad, little pricey though - ~$500, but has everything on the rear panel. FWIW I typically assign those 8 to the drums, 2nd layer, with link to fader #1 on the top.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I will check that out.

Bill Hinds

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

Don,

Was there something in particular you did not like about the digimax?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Hinds

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

Search.  We've discussed this at least twice since the forum switch.

Tim,
  I did try searching but must not have been using the right key words.  ???  I used 01V, 01V96, Preamp, Pre-amp, ADA8000, Behringer,  etc.  Lots of hits on those & I tried sifting through to find a specific answer but it was getting rather tedious.  I had not really seen it discussed on the new forum  and thought there might be some other up to date alternatives that I might not know about.

Thanks,

Bill

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »

Thanks,

Bill

Can't comment on sound quality vs the behringer as I've never used it. But I've owned the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for a couple years now and its been flawless. Very well built, highly configurable via the mix control software if you need different adat inputs to different physical outputs or any other sort of config. It does work stand alone without a computer attached as well.

It's also a firewire interface so you'd always have something to record onto as well. And it works as a upgrade to your laptop sound card for cleaner output from the computer(also via firewire). Lately I've been using the spdif I/O for playback from my laptop, and L/R record into my laptop. All while still adding 8 channels to the 01v and 8 more physical outputs.

Its quite the handy unit that can serve as more that just extra I/O. The only potential negative is lack of bnc word clock connection, but via the software you can set it to sync via internal, adat, or spdif (and adjust sample rate to match the mixer). I've always used adat and more recently spdif and clock from the mixer and have had zero issues.

For other gigs with different consoles, I also bought the smaller saffire pro 24, as a handy portable sound card and recording interface.

Ian Appleby

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »

Tim,
  I did try searching but must not have been using the right key words.  ???  I used 01V, 01V96, Preamp, Pre-amp, ADA8000, Behringer,  etc.  Lots of hits on those & I tried sifting through to find a specific answer but it was getting rather tedious.  I had not really seen it discussed on the new forum  and thought there might be some other up to date alternatives that I might not know about.

Thanks,

Bill

I use the Behringer ADA8000 with great success. I'm not by any means a Behringer Fan ,but it works well. Pretty clean.

- Ian
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Don Spaulding

• Symphonic Sound
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »

Don,

Was there something in particular you did not like about the digimax?

Thanks,

Bill
Hi Bill,
Yes, after recording with them once I got a chance to listen to them critically. The Mackie is huge improvement.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.