ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag End System?  (Read 15626 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Bag End System?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »

I wanted to keep my subs because I liked the box size, which as it turns out is exactely the same as size as an SRX718.
That is cool that the upgrade worked. When considering driver upgrades, is internal volume the only requirement to match?

Chris,

The size of the box is important of course, but there are many other design features that need to be considered prior to choosing a driver for a specific box. Working with JBL and Charlie Tappa we worked out port size, tunnel depth and type as well. The box also had to be modified to accomodate the larger sized JBL frame, the grill had to be moved forward to accomodate the additional Xmax and all of the jacks were changed and re-wired as well.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:34 AM »

Chris,

The size of the box is important of course, but there are many other design features that need to be considered prior to choosing a driver for a specific box. Working with JBL and Charlie Tappa we worked out port size, tunnel depth and type as well. The box also had to be modified to accomodate the larger sized JBL frame, the grill had to be moved forward to accomodate the additional Xmax and all of the jacks were changed and re-wired as well.

Haha, I figured it was more involved than that.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »

I made that statement based on my own experience. Keep in mind that this was many years ago when just about everything was a 300 watt cabinet at best. The Bag End crossover was tried at first, as where a number of other crossovers during the initial purchase. There were no perceived benefits in the output or sound with the Bag End device so I went with an Ashley 1001 as I felt the sound quality was better than other xovers I listened to including Bag Ends own.
In Bag End's FAQs, the question "Can I use my Bag End subwoofer without the INFRA processor?" has the response "Yes, but you won't have INFRA bass."  According to the technical data on Bag End's web site, in addition to the mains high pass and sub low pass filters of a crossover, the INFRA processors provide a high pass filter for the sub, limiters, dynamic bandwidth filtering and the low frequency shelving EQ associated with the INFRA approach.  At least on the surface there seems to be more to the Bag End processor than would be found in a typical crossover, so it is interesting that your experience showed little difference in what you heard.

Timothy Perry

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »

Ok the system checks out, as best as I could check it out. The TC M-one LCD screen is not lighting up fully so dialing in a specific setting is a crap shoot. Ugggh, I wish I caught that. Oh well, I got a verb in there that I think I like, but I only heard it over headphones.

Got some questions though. The Bag End Intergrator has a limiter in it right? Well then why were they using a DBX for limiting on the mains. Well here is how I know they had it, master out on board to compressor "2" using two channels of that, one for left, other for right. And from compressor "2" to the EQ's. And then on to the intergrator.

Ideal I would have a couple more channels of EQ, I don't but what would you guys do? 31 band graphics on the house? Or one 31 band for house (mono fed), and then one 31 band for monitors somewhere? I would like to get to 3-4 amp channels for monitor amping, have that if the Crest can make it into the already over loaded amp rack.

For those not keeping track, here is the system they bought:

One slant top rack with a 15 over 16 space rack, huge mother ship style. With castors, top, back and front lids. (which they may be getting rid of this rack for something more compact)

In said rack:

Furman something for power
TC Electronic M-One
Rocktron Guitar processor
DBX 266XL "1"
DBX 266XL "2"
Peavey 31 band EQ "1" <---single channels
Peavey 31 band EQ "2"
One non functioning CD player, well I didn't have a CD to truly test it out, but upon power up, the disc tray opens, and when you close it disc tray opens right back up.

One 10 space Amp rack with:

Bag End intergrator
Crown power base 3
Crown MacroTech 36x12
BGW performance series 3 <--I think that is the model

Mixer included was a Mackie SR24-4 in clean shape.

100 foot snake

And of course the speakers:

2-peavey 12inch--horn monitors
2- TA-12 tops
2- SA18ec subs

And the in what the hell do I do with it category 15" mids, that aren't mids, just instrument speakers. Which is a simple box with a big giant hole cut in the back, and no not really a port, just a giant hole. Ok it somewhat acts like a port, just as much as a open backed guitar amp does. Probably make for a great keyboard amped set up. Not really sure though what to do with these. The previous band that owned the system, had pretty much used these as "mids" but all they did to do so was pretty much, in on the TA12's out to these instrument cabinets. Which I might do as well, when I need the extra volume, but with out a separate amp how they got a ok a balance out of them I don't know. So what the hell do I do with these two boxes? Sell, keep, use somewhere else?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 03:54:07 AM »

They make good speakers for bass. Give them to the bass player. And replace the integrator with a DBX 260.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Timothy Perry

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

They make good speakers for bass. Give them to the bass player. And replace the integrator with a DBX 260.

Tried the 15 inch cabinet on the bass player and it did not live up to my or the bass players expectations. Maybe keyboard?? Otherwise I think I am going have them sell the two 15inch boxes and be done with it. Maybe get two monitors in place of these.

Scott Sherman

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

I run a Bag end system (2) t-15 & (4) SE18(single sub). I don't understand not wanting to use the ELF(in my case) or the infra unit with the subs. I have ran the subs without the unit and there is no comparison. Bob, when you were using your bag ends, did you use the elf and if not why? From my experience I would not recommend replacing the integrator with a dbx 260. The elf or infra was designed to work with these subs and I think it does it well.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:08:25 PM by Scott Sherman »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.