ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag End System?  (Read 15625 times)

Timothy Perry

Bag End System?
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/2490113668.html <---I am thinking about having the band that I have been recording buy this rig for their gigs. Would I be leading them down the wrong path if I did so?

They have mic's, stands, cables, and two more monitors, so really that system and what they have would turn the key as so to speak.

Anything else for $2,000 used/new/etc. i should be looking at?

There is also a Ramsa WR-S4424 local here that is going for $400, if I could swap that out with the mackie that is included with the above system, I probably would. Bad possible choice there or no?

BTW, band plays mostly indoors, but a possible outdoor event comes up once in a while for them as well. And for now less then 100-150 people have shown up for their concerts.

Oh and the band is 4 piece rock. 2 elec guitars, bass guitar, drums. Three of them sing, with the drummer that may start singing during concerts soon, so I also need a drummers vocal mic, audix OM? something or another? Or something else.

Thanks for looking,
Tim

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Bag End System?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »

As a one time owner of Bag End speakers let me point out that the system shown would be good for 200-250 people clubs tops. The sound, if the speakers are OK, will be clean and musical. The mids shown are not mids as Bag end did not make a mid cabinet in the series shown. What you're looking at are the TA-12 tops and instrument cabinets being used for subs or for what is being called a "mid" cabinet.

The amplifiers would not be my choice, the board would not be my choice, and certainly not an outdoor rig regardless of attendees. Hold on to your money and save for a better system.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:17:48 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »

First off, as Bob said, drop the mid box.

I'm not sure I understand how they are powering this rig. Assuming the mid cabinet is out of the equation, they have a 2+2 setup from the crossover, plus monitors, and only 4 channels of amplifier. Best way to do it with that configuration would be to run everything in mono, tops of one side of the power base, subs off the other, monitors off the micro tech. But even that doesn't factor in the mids (not saying you should use them; just wondering how they expect you to power it).

Personally, I would be ok with the mixer, the processors/effects are reasonable, and the system should sound ok for what it is.

Final point, I think it is overpriced. In my local economy, you can get a JRX or SP system, good power, decent board, etc, for around 2k. If you can get that setup for 1500, then swap the mids for more monitors, I would say it is an ok buy.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

First off, as Bob said, drop the mid box.

I'm not sure I understand how they are powering this rig. Assuming the mid cabinet is out of the equation, they have a 2+2 setup from the crossover, plus monitors, and only 4 channels of amplifier. Best way to do it with that configuration would be to run everything in mono, tops of one side of the power base, subs off the other, monitors off the micro tech. But even that doesn't factor in the mids (not saying you should use them; just wondering how they expect you to power it).

Personally, I would be ok with the mixer, the processors/effects are reasonable, and the system should sound ok for what it is.

Final point, I think it is overpriced. In my local economy, you can get a JRX or SP system, good power, decent board, etc, for around 2k. If you can get that setup for 1500, then swap the mids for more monitors, I would say it is an ok buy.
There are 6 channels of amps on 3 different amps. The 2 Crowns and a BGW.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »

There are 6 channels of amps on 3 different amps. The 2 Crowns and a BGW.
Didn't event see the BGW; ignore that section. Thanks Ivan.

Timothy Perry

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »

One more question, is that a microtech pictured or a macrotech?

IF it is a macrotech I was told by someone I trust to have the band buy it, sell what doesn't work for the bands use, like the "mid" cabinets that are listed, probably the Rocktron as well, misc cables etc... He also said no matter what there are probably things that once running that I would want changed. Also pointed out that there is not much room for upgrading the speaker system to scale to larger venues, he gave the example of something like the JBL PRX 15" three ways (The ones with the 15", 6", horn) where those can be easily set up to have 1, 2, or 3 per side. Although yes they can't really afford those, as a pair is $2,000 by themselves.

Although the band is just starting out, they are all 18ish in age, their sound is good, the CD so far is turning out to be good enough with the lack of skills I have lol. That I do want them to have a good system, that will get them by.

Also to point out where they are, last gig they did, they ran off a mackie 1202 (just vocals), two channels of crest amplification, and two EV SX100's and some crappy monitors. So with that said anything is better then they have, but I do understand all the points here in this thread.

Thanks so much guys,
Tim

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

Its a macrotech. A lot of people on here say "buy once cry once".
 I guess if you got a decent enough paying gig you could sub rent and get a feel for what equipment you liked.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/2490113668.html <---I am thinking about having the band that I have been recording buy this rig for their gigs. Would I be leading them down the wrong path if I did so?

They have mic's, stands, cables, and two more monitors, so really that system and what they have would turn the key as so to speak.

Anything else for $2,000 used/new/etc. i should be looking at?

There is also a Ramsa WR-S4424 local here that is going for $400, if I could swap that out with the mackie that is included with the above system, I probably would. Bad possible choice there or no?

BTW, band plays mostly indoors, but a possible outdoor event comes up once in a while for them as well. And for now less then 100-150 people have shown up for their concerts.

Oh and the band is 4 piece rock. 2 elec guitars, bass guitar, drums. Three of them sing, with the drummer that may start singing during concerts soon, so I also need a drummers vocal mic, audix OM? something or another? Or something else.

Thanks for looking,
Tim

Anyway you look at it this is a good price for all this gear.   This system will work fine for you and for 2300.00  it is a steal

Gary Clontz

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

As a one time owner of Bag End speakers let me point out that the system shown would be good for 200-250 people clubs tops. The sound, if the speakers are OK, will be clean and musical. The mids shown are not mids as Bag end did not make a mid cabinet in the series shown. What you're looking at are the TA-12 tops and instrument cabinets being used for subs or for what is being called a "mid" cabinet.

The amplifiers would not be my choice, the board would not be my choice, and certainly not an outdoor rig regardless of attendees. Hold on to your money and save for a better system.

I'm with Bob on this. As someone who uses Bag End TA-15's on occasion, they are a fair to good sounding speaker. Can't take loads of power but they're pretty efficient at 103db. I guess the Bag End Elf "crossover" separates the TA-12's from the 18's ? If it isn't a true active crossover, you would need one. Those Bag End 18's are merely okay. I wouldn't expect a ton of low end due to their small cab size. But they are probably well suited to the TA-12's. As Bob mentioned, the 12's are instrument speakers and I see no need for those in a SR system. The TA-12's have their own built in mid to high passive crossover. A typical crossover point of around 100hz would be a good place to start to separate the subs from the TA-12's. I'd use a low cut at around 40Hz, maybe 50, on those 18's. The amps are merely okay as well. Much better available today. However, taking into consideration that this is a system for a teen band just getting going, this isn't a bad deal, IF EVERYTHING WORKS. So, make sure to fully test all the components. Set it up and listen to it. It will handle what Bob said, a club up to 200 or so at moderate volumes. It won't work very well outside. I mean, it will work; it just won't cover much area or be loud or full enough. But since bands break up all the time, why pay 10's of thousands of $$$ for some young un's who may not be together very long. Since some of the components are decent, you'll probably be able to sell some of the stuff at your cost later on if and when the band no longer needs or wants this system. And as others mentioned, this system doesn't lend itself to being added on to. Probably why it's being sold now.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »

Gary is pretty spot on with what he's said above. I can add a little to that and suggest that if you are to purchase these cabinets you'll have pretty good sound, just not at very high levels. You can get good SPL out of these boxes with low power, just not SRX levels if you understand what I'm saying. In that case they may be fine for the band you describe. In the end I eventually kept a pair of TA15s and a pair or 18" DRC subs. The TA15s served me well as side fills for a couple of more years, and the subs were converted using JBL 2242H drivers which handle 800 watts up to 134db peaks. It was a lot of work to get them into the box, but I still use them right along side my SRX718s and they are a perfect match. So, as you can see, there's always some value left to whatever you might buy.

You can also purchase these cabinets and sell off the mid box, crossover, and any other crap that's part of that and run with just the 12s above the 18" subs using an Ashly 1001 crossover or equal. I'll put money on the system sounding pretty damn good configured like that, let alone more easily set up and maintained over all.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.