ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standardizing Amp Racks  (Read 4107 times)

Brian Larson

Standardizing Amp Racks
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »

Crazy ideas...

Currently I have amps that are sized relative to what they're driving, ie; A rack with an IT8K for subs, IT6K for mids, and IT4k for highs.

So far this setup has served me well, but getting into larger shows and more complicated setups I need something more flexible...

I'm now thinking of selling ALL of my current mismatched amplifiers and purchasing a bunch of EV Q1212s.

If I group them in racks of four I can use them for many different configurations and just change the processing/patching. For example:

-Triamped system w/ subs
-Biamped system w/ subs (one leftover amp)
-Eight fullrange monitors
-Four biamped monitors

This all looks good on paper, but does anyone see any real-world issues with only owning one type of amplifier? Any problems using such a powerful amp on tweeters?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Q1212s? A company I work with has racks of P3000s and the Q series is supposed to replace that line.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:31:51 pm by Brian Larson »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Standardizing Amp Racks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:11:44 am »

Crazy ideas...

Currently I have amps that are sized relative to what they're driving, ie; A rack with an IT8K for subs, IT6K for mids, and IT4k for highs.

So far this setup has served me well, but getting into larger shows and more complicated setups I need something more flexible...

I'm now thinking of selling ALL of my current mismatched amplifiers and purchasing a bunch of EV Q1212s.

If I group them in racks of four I can use them for many different configurations and just change the processing/patching. For example:

-Triamped system w/ subs
-Biamped system w/ subs (one leftover amp)
-Eight fullrange monitors
-Four biamped monitors

This all looks good on paper, but does anyone see any real-world issues with only owning one type of amplifier? Any problems using such a powerful amp on tweeters?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Q1212s? A company I work with has racks of P3000s and the Q series is supposed to replace that line.

Thanks!

Audio Analysts was an early adopter of the original I-Tech, and they used IT8000 for everything.  Monitors, mains, fills... all on the same model.  Eventually Crown got everything together sufficiently that A.A. would send only 2 spare amps on a stadium tour.

We went with IT6000 for everything but subs, which we power with IT8000.  We're a JBL VerTec shop, so we can confidently load device files and presets without worry about having the "wrong" amp on a passband.

I haven't heard or worked with the EV amps so I can't give advice on them, but standardizing on an amp isn't a bad idea at all.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Kenton Vore

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:07:33 am »

Brian,

I have a pair of Q1212's and Q99's running my Tour-X system, they sound great and have plenty of power!

hope this helps

Kenton

Kent Elliott

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

Companies I've worked at have done it both ways-- advantages to both approaches. 
  Purely from audio quality, I'd say it's a mistake to use a 1000w amp on HF drivers that may never require more than 150 watts.  In my opinion, a carefully selected smaller amp will sound better.  I'll let others hash out the pros and cons, though.
  If you're thinking of the Q1212 as a replacement for P3000's, I would suggest that you run tests to confirm that you'll be happy with the change.  I did a head-to-head test of those 2 amps (plus another).  The Q1212 sounded fine, but was far short of being a replacement for the P3000 when driving real-world loads.  The difference is max SPL was astoundingly significant, despite numbers that made them look close.  I'm not sure that this is a knock against the Q1212, but might be more of a praise for the P3000, which performs well beyond it's "paper" ratings. 

Kent Elliott

Thanks!
Kent Elliott

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.