ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FCC Announces Public Testing of First Television White Spaces Database  (Read 6475 times)

Lisa Woodward

Re: FCC Announces Public Testing of First Television White Spaces Database
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »

This is a potential point of confusion as the FCC rules call for only two reserved channels in each market; one above and one below channel 37 (including VHF). It's my understanding the SB database is returning all channels that are unavailable to TVBDs (due to exclusion zone and adjacent channel distances) yet are outside the TV stations' service contour so as to be usable by wireless mics.

If you must buy equipment now, buy band splits that encompass the two "reserved" channels that are closest to channel 37, one above and/or one below.

It truly is confusing. According to the "knowledge base" of Spectrum Bridge's website, at least 2 or possible more will be reserved for wireless mics exclusively. Indeed the site returns some tv stations with a mic icon that seems to indicate wireless mic reservation.

http://spectrumbridge.zendesk.com/entries/20451756-how-to-locate-channels-reserved-exclusively-for-unlicensed-microphones

"FCC rules require that at least 2 channels be reserved for unlicensed wireless microphones, in reality there are many more that will be exclusively reserved for unlicensed wireless microphones."

I think I'll bug Spectrum Bridge and the FCC and see what turns up.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:30 pm »

It truly is confusing. According to the "knowledge base" of Spectrum Bridge's website, at least 2 or possible more will be reserved for wireless mics exclusively. Indeed the site returns some tv stations with a mic icon that seems to indicate wireless mic reservation.

http://spectrumbridge.zendesk.com/entries/20451756-how-to-locate-channels-reserved-exclusively-for-unlicensed-microphones

"FCC rules require that at least 2 channels be reserved for unlicensed wireless microphones, in reality there are many more that will be exclusively reserved for unlicensed wireless microphones."

I think I'll bug Spectrum Bridge and the FCC and see what turns up.

Lisa,
From what I can see on Spectrum Bridge, there are only two channels vacant within the UHF range.  They are channels 20 & 32.  Both channels 11 & 13 also show up but, these are VHF channels.

Henry,
Are you saying that the FCC ruling allows for the "reserved" channels to be within the VHF range (I know it addresses those locations where neither can be above 37)?  If so, how does that work with also requiring 6-8 mics to be in use in these channels in order to be considered fully utilized prior to applying to the database?  I did not think you could effectively get that many VHF wireless mics in a 6MHz block.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:04:34 pm by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:11 pm »

Lisa,
From what I can see on Spectrum Bridge, there are only two channels vacant within the UHF range.  They are channels 20 & 32.  Both channels 11 & 13 also show up but, these are VHF channels.

Lee

None of those are above ch 37. The rule calls for 1 above ch 37 and 1 below. They should be the closest available channels to ch 37.

Mac

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »

None of those are above ch 37. The rule calls for 1 above ch 37 and 1 below. They should be the closest available channels to ch 37.

Mac

Mac,
It does not require one above and one below.

15.707 Permissible channels of operation.

(a) All TVBDs are permitted to operate available channels in the frequency bands 512-608 MHz (TV

channels 21-36) and 614-698 MHz (TV channels 38-51), subject to the interference protection

requirements in 15.711 and 15.712, except that operation of TVBDs is prohibited on the first channel

above and the first channel below TV channel 37 (608-614 MHz) that are available, i.e., not occupied by

an authorized service. If a channel is not available both above and below channel 37, operation is

prohibited on the first two channels nearest to channel 37. These channels will be identified and protected

in the TV bands database(s).

Henry,
I think this section pertains to the use of VHF but is fuzzy since it uses the words "can practicably be used".

Licensed low power auxiliary stations, including wireless microphones and wireless assist video

devices, and venues of events and productions/shows that use large numbers of wireless microphones on

either a licensed or unlicensed basis that cannot be accommodated in the two reserved channels and other

channels that are not available for use by TVBDs at that location. Sites of licensed stations and eligible

venues of large events with significant wireless microphone use at well defined times and locations may

be registered in the database. Entities responsible for eligible event venues registering their site with a

TV bands data base are required to first make use of the two reserved channels and other channels that are

not available for use by TVBDs at that location. As a benchmark, at least 6 8 wireless microphones

should be operating in each channel used at such venues. Multiple registrations that specify more than

one point in the facility may be entered for very large sites. Registrations will be valid for no more than

one year, after which they may be renewed. Sites of licensed low power auxiliary stations may be

registered with a designated TV bands device database administrator. Sites of eligible event venues using

unlicensed wireless microphones must be registered with the Commission at least 30 days in advance and

the Commission will provide this information to the data base managers. Parties responsible for eligible

event venues filing registration requests must certify that they are making use of all TV channels not

available to TV bands devices and on which wireless microphones can practicably be used, including

channels 7-51 (except channel 37).

Sorry if the FCC quotes are odd.  I don't usually quote so much.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:22:44 pm by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »

Henry,
I think this section pertains to the use of VHF but is fuzzy since it uses the words "can practicably be used".

This is the relevant section and you are absolutely correct about the verbiage "can practicably be used". In meetings with OET, they stated it was expected that VHF TV channels unavailable to TVBDs would be utilized for wireless mics before a channel registration would be permitted. When they were told there's really no professional level equipment in the VHF bands, their response was rather ambiguous. When asked to clarify "can practicably be used", their response was less than explicit. Given this phrase was included in the first place, we're interpreting this as if there's no viable VHF equipment, we'll be permitted to use UHF TV channels . . . until there's a formal complaint.

This is one of the questions I'll be presenting to the TVBD/Database panel at AES.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.