ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which tablet computer would you buy for both mixing AND system control duties?

Motion Computing LE1600
- 11 (47.8%)
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X60 and variants
- 7 (30.4%)
Fujitsu Stylistic
- 0 (0%)
Other (please explain)
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?  (Read 23956 times)

Tom Reid

Re: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »

Talking as an evil Windows guy, MS does offer a Mac client for the MS RDP.
The advantage is in performance for me RDP runs fast on about any machine I've used,
and it allows me to a lot of flexible options.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client
Free too!
I do not know if MS is up to Ipad rdp clients,
But Mochasoft ...http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm
is a crippled rdp that is functional to run something off the "server"

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 05:19:09 AM »

Can we have two instances of VNC on one computer ?

eg. Laptop running Ultra VNC hardwired to the Venue, and then another tablet controlling the laptop, also through Vnc.

So we have a case where the laptop is being a server, while simultaneously also a viewer.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »

Is there anything you had to set up? I can get it to go to full screen, or not, but I could not make the 2 finger spread zoom work like it does on other iPad apps. A real zoom would make a big difference.

Mac

Nope, no setup. Haven't got an Intel Mac, but I just enabled Screen Sharing on the G5 in my studio, logged in with Remoter, and two-finger zoomed right in.
Handles my differently-sized dual monitors perfectly.

I can replicate what you're seeing if I set Remoter's TrackPad Type to WholeScreen and enable it.
Try toggling Remoter's trackpad to off, or changing the type to Normal or Plain.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »

I much prefer VNC to microsoft RDP as it doesn't require pro version of XP, doesn't lock out the desktop of the serving machine and you can run multiple client instances, and on each client you can have multiple open windows each a different machine.

For example, I have a digital console at a club right now that is side-stage with it's companion PC running the GUI software.  I then have a hard-wired PC on the balcony in which I can mix from if needed.  If I go up to the third floor to deal with audio levels I can quickly bring up that same console on my iphone without having to run back downstairs and log off on the other computers.  Likewise at the same time I can grab the desktop of a computer in the main system rack to change the matrix video switcher, grab a master itunes machine in the DJ booth to cue up background music as well as fiddle with the lightjockey to dim the lobby lighting a bit more on my way through.

Meanwhile all these machines are still available for local operating if we have full crew complement or if an override is needed.  One machine is linux, two are macs and four are XP in the place and can get them all from any of them along with iPad and iPhone.
-Simply can't do all this with RDP :-) 

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc
Santa Barbara/Ventura CA
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »

Nope, no setup. Haven't got an Intel Mac, but I just enabled Screen Sharing on the G5 in my studio, logged in with Remoter, and two-finger zoomed right in.
Handles my differently-sized dual monitors perfectly.

I can replicate what you're seeing if I set Remoter's TrackPad Type to WholeScreen and enable it.
Try toggling Remoter's trackpad to off, or changing the type to Normal or Plain.

I don't know what I was doing before, but it just worked fine for me. I was able to zoom in, and then select the hand tool and move any of the faders easily. Go figure.

Mac

Randall Hyde

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »

I need a new tablet. This will be my dedicated audio pc so it will need to run things like System Architect, Studio Manager, Smaart, and anything else audio related as well. I will be remote mixing with it so ergonomics and battery life play an important role in the decision as well.

What would you buy for yourself?

Thanks,
-=Tim=-

I bought an HP Touchsmart laptop that converts to a tablet. I run SAC from it (wirelessly). It's an i5 system, so it has the oomph to run the apps you're discussing. It is, however, a bit heavy for a tablet computer (when converted to tablet mode).

It does operate as a standard laptop as well as a tablet. However, if you want a tablet for the light weight, I'd hold one of these before purchasing it.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 28 queries.