ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which tablet computer would you buy for both mixing AND system control duties?

Motion Computing LE1600
- 11 (47.8%)
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X60 and variants
- 7 (30.4%)
Fujitsu Stylistic
- 0 (0%)
Other (please explain)
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?  (Read 23960 times)

Loren Aguey

• New York City
Re: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:15:57 AM »

Many of those alternatives especially at the low to mid price range (competing with Ipad) seem to be going with Android as an operating system. I don't know enough about what is available for Android to know if that is meaningful.

I am thinking of forgoing the touch screen and setting up a netbook with my audio stuff.

Android has little to no developing for mixer control software that I'm aware of going on right now. Not sure if we'll ever see SM for android however it does have plenty of VNC apps which means that with a hard wired PC any android tablet should work. I just tried it with my EVO and my Dell laptop and it works fine. Nothing I'd really use or rely on in a show situation but nice to know there's more choices than ipad vs tablet pc for controlling a mixer.

None of the Android tablets are on par with the ipad IMO (yet) but they're are some badass android tablets being released this year. At least one I know of will being able to triple boot into windows, android, and MeeGo.

I already use PC and prefer android over iOS so I'll be looking into those options when I'm ready to spring for a tablet.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »

What he said on the concept of leaving the computer on a nice, solid surface next to the console or at amp world / RF world, whatever.  I would be curious to know what the real world responsiveness of VNC to a Mac or PC is like.  I have yet to buy into the iPad universe, being careful to always be a version two buyer of anything I possibly can but I do have what is rated as the top o' the line VNC app for my iPhone and even leaving aside the screen size the speed of responsiveness is a serious issue when I have tested it with things like Studio Manager running on my MacBook.

I wouldn't buy a tablet to run all those applications. I'd buy a laptop or rack mount computer for that and use a small, light tablet to VNC into the wired computer running the apps. In my case that would be an iPad, but there are other alternatives in the pipeline if you don't want an iPad.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

What he said on the concept of leaving the computer on a nice, solid surface next to the console or at amp world / RF world, whatever.  I would be curious to know what the real world responsiveness of VNC to a Mac or PC is like.  I have yet to buy into the iPad universe, being careful to always be a version two buyer of anything I possibly can but I do have what is rated as the top o' the line VNC app for my iPhone and even leaving aside the screen size the speed of responsiveness is a serious issue when I have tested it with things like Studio Manager running on my MacBook.

I use a $1 VNC app called "Remoter". It seems to work OK. Screen response from when I make a move on the iPad to seeing the move on my MacBook Pro is near enough to instantaneous to suit me. The difficulty is that Studio Manager does not support screen zooming, so with a VNC connection it is pretty small on the iPad screen. It can be a little hit or miss as to whether you hit the right button. This is compounded by the fact that the active "button" part of SM's onscreen controls is significantly smaller that the graphic image of the control, and things like the eq section or dynamics section don't have a full screen window. I have not tried a stylus, that is the next step.

With software that has easier to hit controls the response should be pretty good. For controlling an M7, StageMix is a much easier to use solution. Hopefully Yamaha will bring that interface to other consoles. PM5D is probably a non-starter since there is no network interface.

Screen size remains an issue with software that can't zoom in, but responsiveness doesn't seem to be an issue. Since Yamaha is clearly aware of the iPad, and probably other devices like it, maybe they well make SM more tablet friendly. I like using StageMix on an M7, but I'd rather be using a PM5D in the first place.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »

Well I'm typing this reply on my new used Lenovo X61 tablet. Its a convertable tablet so it actually as a full keyboard and mouse setup. I flip the screen and its a tablet. It's a core 2 duo at  1.6, 120 gig drive, and 2 gigs ram. Fairly respectable machine. What really sold me on it though, is the fact that it is both a stylus tablet AND a touchscreen! You can use your fingers as well as the included wacom pen. I don't know if I'll make much use of it, but I'm thinking that for Chamsys it'll be pretty cool.

Best of all it was only $329 from ebay.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »

PM5D is probably a non-starter since there is no network interface.

The 5D has a USB interface and I've heard from reliable sources that you can use a Belkin wireless USB hub to interface with it. I have yet to try it but once I get the hub I'll report back with my findings.

Product link:

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »

If that's the case it should work with the 01v96, no?

Definitely interested in your findings!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »

I expect it would!
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Tom Reid

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »

The 5D has a USB interface and I've heard from reliable sources that you can use a Belkin wireless USB hub to interface with it. I have yet to try it but once I get the hub I'll report back with my findings.

Product link:

http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/
I've been using this product for 3 years.
Performance is rock solid.
There is a piece of software required on the machine(s) using the hub.
The software divides up individual USB ports to a virtual ID, and talks to them via Ethernet.
It also allows sharing of the devices USB port, and a priority for the share.
In my application the device controls 4 XTI amps.
So in my case the software assigns 4 VID to each XTI, and communicates over one IP address.
SA doesn't mind the app, and performance is equal to using an Itech on Native IP.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

I use a $1 VNC app called "Remoter". It seems to work OK. Screen response from when I make a move on the iPad to seeing the move on my MacBook Pro is near enough to instantaneous to suit me. The difficulty is that Studio Manager does not support screen zooming, so with a VNC connection it is pretty small on the iPad screen.

Remoter is my current favorite iPad VNC client.  I own several more expensive ones,
but Remoter connects faster, holds the connection while I do something else on the iPad,
and they have really figured out how to make fingers do the job.

I'm puzzled by your zoom comment, though.
Remoter zooms. Studio Manager doesn't have to.
I can get in there far enough so that the screen is 3 channels wide,
making those tiny little orange sliders big enough to use.

I'm going to a PC, though. Wonder if that's it?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

I'm puzzled by your zoom comment, though.
Remoter zooms. Studio Manager doesn't have to.
I can get in there far enough so that the screen is 3 channels wide,
making those tiny little orange sliders big enough to use.

I'm going to a PC, though. Wonder if that's it?

Is there anything you had to set up? I can get it to go to full screen, or not, but I could not make the 2 finger spread zoom work like it does on other iPad apps. A real zoom would make a big difference.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.