ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which tablet computer would you buy for both mixing AND system control duties?

Motion Computing LE1600
- 11 (47.8%)
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X60 and variants
- 7 (30.4%)
Fujitsu Stylistic
- 0 (0%)
Other (please explain)
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?  (Read 23951 times)

Steve Dumont

• SR Forums
Re: What tablet for Tablet mixing/system control?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »

When I use Smaart / tablet it is always when using remote desktop to a PC at FOH.  Network is generally all wired except a wifi access point @ FOH for the tablet.

Reference Ch and wireless receiver from the measurement mic are tied into a USB Pre  which is wired to the laptop.  Tablet RDC to the laptop.
Refresh rate can be a bit laggy for Smaart if your WiFi link is not great but impulse and transfer response is plenty good for doing system setup.

Using it with a standalone tablet would indeed present a wiring problem.

Steve

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Taking this one more step, i am typing this using my iPad connected via VNC to my laptop. response seems fine, although controlling a non-touch interface via touchscreen is not as slick as using apps designed for iPad. but I can be in the bedroom working from the computer in the living room.

Mac

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

I wouldn't buy a tablet to run all those applications. I'd buy a laptop or rack mount computer for that and use a small, light tablet to VNC into the wired computer running the apps. In my case that would be an iPad, but there are other alternatives in the pipeline if you don't want an iPad.

Mac

Many of those alternatives especially at the low to mid price range (competing with Ipad) seem to be going with Android as an operating system. I don't know enough about what is available for Android to know if that is meaningful.

I am thinking of forgoing the touch screen and setting up a netbook with my audio stuff.
Jay Barracato

Paul Lipp

• SR Forums
  • around here since 2007
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »

Im currently using a Motion computing M1300, which is alittle old, but runs great; I have Sys Architect, Studio manager, cobranet manager and chamsys running on here without any problem... all on a 1ghz 2gb computer,  to speed it up a bit I may put in a SSD drive, but everything runs flawlessly over wifi.

Mac's vnc into rack solution is what I use at work, and is alittle more stable... if your battery goes dead or god forbid you BSD, whatever your running is now shot.. and in my case, I have lighting running on my tablet, which would blow, I havent decided what to do about this yet, I havent done a show with lights on it yet, but im sure it will happen before I have a permanent solution.

Hope it helps..

Tom Reid

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »

I think that is not a good solution when you are on the road. That means you are limited to the tablet for all your computing. Since Windows is not a tablet based OS, and most general applications are not tablet focussed it is going to be harder to do all the other things you might do with a computer. A tablet like an iPad or Galaxy Tab weighs almost nothing, is very thin, an will be almost unnoticed in your bag. It will have better battery life than a Windows tablet, I get a full day of off and on web surfing on a charge with my iPad, and I can watch movies on a plane or bus, or read books on it. When I want to type, or have a computer hard wired to my gear so it doesn't have to reconnect for an RF dropout, I have my regular laptop.

The pair don't have to weigh much more than the Windows tablet and they will be much more convenient and flexible.

Mac

ps. Smaart on a tablet seems silly, since you need to have at least 2 audio cables attached to the computer anyway. A base station computer and a VNC tablet seems much more useful.

Mac hints to something we called Thin Client computing back in the 80s.  The idea was you had horsepower somewhere deep in the IT jungle, and you accessed that horsepower via a lightweight client.  This worked fine with the usual caveats of network reliability, application scalability, and other "things" that soundmen needn't worry about.
As far as Windows not being a tablet OS, that was true until MS released XP Tablet PC.  Vista and Windows 7 have tablet APIs that can be added from the famed Add/Remove features button buried 3 layers deep.  I ran older versions of SA on a pigged out X41 tablet.  Except for the load time on the slow harddrive, the app was light enough to be responsive.  A good "G" wireless maintained connectivity.
For Smaart, Windows Remote Desktop also allows forwarding of the audio ports to the client.
I can anitcipate what kinds of time issues this would cause, but a hybrid of the record and playback port locations could be of some advantage to the guy who tinkers.

Gregor Buser

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »

You can get both a capacitive stylus, and a pair of gloves with small capacitive buttons on each finger for finer control of multitouch devices than fat fingers.

Mac

Do you have good experience with that? From what I have read, those stylus don't really work good with capacitve screens.

Greg

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »

Hi Tim,

I'm still using an IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet, with a Samsung SSD.
This tablet has a high quality 12.1" IPS screen that has great viewing angles. 
1.5GHz, 2 gigs RAM, running win-XP Tablet version.

01V96 Editor and LS9 Editor show up ok at 1024 x 768 resolution.
Actually about as readable as my newer Lenovo T410 with a 1440 x 900, 14.1" screen.

Am looking at stepping up to the X60 or X61 version, with the faster processor and 2.5" hard drive that can easily be replaced with an SSD.

I'm finding that I can get around really fast with the Trackpoint, and don't really use it that much in tablet mode.

An ipad looks cool, but my older eyballs would likely be challenged by the smaller screen.

Just what works for me.

Good health,  Weogo

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »

Do you have good experience with that? From what I have read, those stylus don't really work good with capacitve screens.

Greg

A normal stylus won't work at all on a capacitive screen. You need to get a capacitive stylus.

Mac

Gregor Buser

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »

A normal stylus won't work at all on a capacitive screen. You need to get a capacitive stylus.

Mac

Yes I know, but what if heard is that those stylus sold for capacitive screens don't really work or are at least quite imprecise! I have never tried one therefore I like to know if you have positive experience with one?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.