ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holes in Subwoofer cab  (Read 4690 times)

Eric Chancey

Holes in Subwoofer cab
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »

Hi,
   We recently brought some flown subs down so they can now live on the ground. The installers drilled holes in the cabinets and ran support rods through them. There are a few aftermarket eyebolts as well.
 These have left nickel to quarter size holes in the cabinets. Should I plug these or will it be ok? If I need to plug the holes, what kind of stuff should I use?
Thanks in advance!
Eric

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
Re: Holes in Subwoofer cab
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »

You need to plug the holes.

If they previously had threaded rod in them, I'd be tempted just to put a bolt through the hole. Use a washer to block it off, and put some silicone inside (enough so it squeezes out).

It should be easy to find bolts/washers that fit properly, since the holes were designed for exactly that. And the washers/bolt heads are much more rigid than something like wood filler, which might flex.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »

You need to plug the holes.

If they previously had threaded rod in them, I'd be tempted just to put a bolt through the hole. Use a washer to block it off, and put some silicone inside (enough so it squeezes out).

It should be easy to find bolts/washers that fit properly, since the holes were designed for exactly that. And the washers/bolt heads are much more rigid than something like wood filler, which might flex.
You are correct and that is a good way to fill them.  Just silicone or bondo alone on holes that size will not do it.

Maybe fiberglass that extends over both sides of the hole would do it.

The reason for filling is that the holes will do several things performance wise to the cabinets.  They can detune it so the performance will not be the same-and they can cause whistling noises, which is very annoying.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Eric Chancey

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »

Thanks so much for the great advice!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.