ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question from the lounge re GEQ  (Read 3722 times)

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
Question from the lounge re GEQ
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »

I recently posted a question regard graphic equalisers in the lounge:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,3971.msg21683.html#msg21683

I got some great replies but was also after some comments regarding proportional vs constant Q flters. It seems the units that provide switching between the 2 are either outside the budget or have a rider friendly issue. That said I'm not sure how RANE would be received, as I've not seen comments for or against on riders I have had to deal with...

Does anyone prefer constant over proportional Q and is that preference application specific?

I'd also like to know if anyone had felt limited by GEQs that only provide +/- 12 gain.

Thanks!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Question from the lounge re GEQ
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »

Most people will give you a puppy dog look and tilt their head when you ask them that question. I'm not completely sure there are only two flavors of Q in GEQ.

GEQ are used for meatball sound surgery... if you want precision you use a parametric.

If you want to be safe there are a handful of loved old brands, but your customers should be more concerned about how effectively you use whatever GEQ to deliver good monitor SPL.

Don't take my word for it I'm just a circuits geek... What matters is what people think... so keep asking.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »

Most people will give you a puppy dog look and tilt their head when you ask them that question. I'm not completely sure there are only two flavors of Q in GEQ.

And that is why I'm asking the question.... I'd love an answer that broke down the limitations of the question - that's how you discover the next question to ask...

I'm in a regional area with no-one to ask these questions to. Anyone around here (not the forums..) with greater knowledge than myself feels threatened as soon as as someone shows any passion and starts asking questions. It a shame, I would love a mentor.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:29:28 PM by luis Markson »

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »

If you want to be safe there are a handful of loved old brands, but your customers should be more concerned about how effectively you use whatever GEQ to deliver good monitor SPL.

I've been able to do just that with the eqs we have. I'm trying to get to the heart of why those brands are loved. Is it the bandwidth of the filters, the overall sonic quality of the unit or something that I'm not aware of at all... We've pretty much decided on the eqs for monitors based on a couple of units that we already have and have been fine. I'd like to make the decision for FOH based on a higher level of understanding than I currently have...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:18:34 AM by luis Markson »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »

..... I'm trying to get to the heart of why those brands are loved. Is it the bandwidth of the filters, the overall sonic quality of the unit or something that I'm not aware of at all...

Familiarity and reliability are king.
If I roll onto your stage, I either want my own gear, or gear that I am familiar with. For the touring gang, "Check out my new xxxxxx" just doesn't cut it.
As for 12 of 15 dB cut/boost, if you need to go to 12, you'd better look for the real problem. (hint: Not enough Rig for the Gig, wrong mic for the job, etc.)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Marty McCann

• Meridian, Mississippi USA
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »

Also some GEQ's specs will say Constant Q, but they simply are NOT.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

Familiarity and reliability are king.
If I roll onto your stage, I either want my own gear, or gear that I am familiar with. For the touring gang, "Check out my new xxxxxx" just doesn't cut it.
As for 12 of 15 dB cut/boost, if you need to go to 12, you'd better look for the real problem. (hint: Not enough Rig for the Gig, wrong mic for the job, etc.)

Great to know, thanks!

Also some GEQ's specs will say Constant Q, but they simply are NOT.

Any particular contenders thatI should be aware of?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.