ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixwiz Aux subs questions  (Read 4905 times)

Nate Armstrong

Mixwiz Aux subs questions
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »

I just got my allen and heath wz3 today after a long wait at the music store.

I am wanting to control the sub woofers volume independently from the tops.

So I see that you can run the AUX 6  ( 1/4 jack ) as a aux sub using the mono fader   

The onboard effects use aux 5, 6 if you want 2 sets of effects.

My questions are.
1) can I run the subs from the "M" mono xlr output instead of aux6
2) can I run 2 on board effects and aux subs ?

or can you just tell me the best way to run my system through this board
mostly smaller bar gigs

mixwiz wz3
dbx drive rack pa
2 k10's
2 ksubs
16x8 snake  all xlr

I understand i could control the volume of the subs with the drive rack, but i would really like to control it with a fader on the board.

thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Mixwiz Aux subs questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »

So I see that you can run the AUX 6  ( 1/4 jack ) as a aux sub using the mono fader   

My questions are.

mostly smaller bar gigs

mixwiz wz3
dbx drive rack pa
2 k10's
2 ksubs
16x8 snake  all xlr

I understand i could control the volume of the subs with the drive rack, but i would really like to control it with a fader on the board.

thanks

Just use Aux 4 (post-fader) for your aux subs send.  You'll need to dedicate one of the inputs on your Drive Rack as your subs input, set your crossover where you need it and take a dedicated out from the DR to your subs.

The feed to the subs needs to be completely separate from the tops since you are going to select only what you want to go to the subs.  The crossover will be your frequency divider, but you your self, in assigning selected instruments, will determine what gets fed to your subs.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »

Actually, Dick, this would not work if he's running stereo mains. He can still use the Aux 4 out, but he'd just feed the subs directly. The mono out would give him a control for the subs, but he could not decide what he wanted to send the subs.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:59:35 PM »

I would not just run subs out of the Mono "M" bus. That is just a summation of the L/R busses. While you could control sub volume with it you would loose one of the greatest advantages of aux fed subs in not being able to choose what you send.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »

Actually, Dick, this would not work if he's running stereo mains. He can still use the Aux 4 out, but he'd just feed the subs directly. The mono out would give him a control for the subs, but he could not decide what he wanted to send the subs.

Of course.  Burning one of the two inputs for aux subs means that you'll have to run in mono.  You just make the choice:  stereo system or aux fed subs  ........ or get another cheap crossover to take care of the subs.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Gruber

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »

Of course.  Burning one of the two inputs for aux subs means that you'll have to run in mono.  You just make the choice:  stereo system or aux fed subs  ........ or get another cheap crossover to take care of the subs.
or you could feed the k-subs directly and see what it sounds like, they do have a built in crossover. Pushing the button on the front of the mixer will send aux 6 to the mono fader and it will also output aux 6 to the mono xlr.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:30:59 AM »

My questions are.

mostly smaller bar gigs

mixwiz wz3
dbx drive rack pa
2 k10's
2 ksubs
16x8 snake  all xlr

thanks

The M fader and corresponding xlr output can be switched from being a sum of L/R to being the output of aux 6. This is what the manual is talking about for running aux fed subs.

Personally i have never felt the need to run 2 separate channels of the built in effects, so my inclination would be to do subs on aux 6. If additional effects are desired, I would use aux 3 and 4 post fade for an external fx unit. One way or another, this is limiting the number of monitor mixes that can be done from the same board.
Jay Barracato

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »

[/quote]

The M fader and corresponding xlr output can be switched from being a sum of L/R to being the output of aux 6. This is what the manual is talking about for running aux fed subs.

Personally i have never felt the need to run 2 separate channels of the built in effects, so my inclination would be to do subs on aux 6. If additional effects are desired, I would use aux 3 and 4 post fade for an external fx unit. One way or another, this is limiting the number of monitor mixes that can be done from the same board.
[/quote]

I much rather loose a 2nd effect and be able to control what is sent to the subs. If I find I need a 2nd effect, I can switch to aux 4 in a pinch.   I have not ran more than 3 individual monitor mixes with this small rig. I am almost always in a small bar.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.   I did not realize that it also changed the output from the 1/4 Aux6 to the xlr M output .   ( I have not had a chance to setup the pa and test out this board yet, hopefully tonight )

It seems like I have a few choices if I do not get additional gear.
1) L&R stereo tops through the driverack and  aux fed subs ran direct
2) Mono tops and aux fed subs through the drive rack
3  Mono tops , 1 monitor mix through the driverack   aux fed subs ran direct

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »

It seems like I have a few choices if I do not get additional gear.
1) L&R stereo tops through the driverack and  aux fed subs ran direct
2) Mono tops and aux fed subs through the drive rack
3  Mono tops , 1 monitor mix through the driverack   aux fed subs ran direct
As far as I see it, you only have 1 option - option2.  You need a crossover in there somewhere otherwise you're defeating the purpose of aux-fed subs.

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »

Several things to consider:
DRPA has both channels linked; if you make a change to to any "Left" output (gain, Freq, limter, etc) it will also affect the "Right". This may or not be an issue for you. It was for me, as I wanted to run the tops with a lower crossover point than the subs. You cannot use one channel for mains and one channel for monitors.

If you don't need 4 mon sends, why not use the Aux 4 output? Simplest, most versatile way to do it.

Try the LP in the cabinets first. Chances are you won't need an external XR.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.