ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ in middle of gym  (Read 8561 times)

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
Re: DJ in middle of gym
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

I don't see being in the center of the gym as that big of a problem, at least you aren't trying to cover the entire length of the court from one side of the room.

I would place all subs together facing the same direction (stacked or lined up next to each other if possible) to get even bass in all directions. If you can't fit four subs in the area in that configuration you might consider only bringing two (it's a high school dance, I can't see anybody in charge of the event wanting more bass than that anyway). Stacking one top on one sub in each corner would be easier to setup, but the bass response will be dissapointing anywhere but on the DJ riser pretty much (without phase and delay manipulation of each sub anyway).

Place one top in each corner up high to spread the sound out over the crowd and avoid comb filtering.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:43:22 PM by Thomas Kielhofner »

Brian Larson

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

Its a dance the kids are happy long as there is BASS and LOUD music.
That's very true but I feel like if I'm getting paid to provide sound I should do it to the best of my abilities regardless of who it's for. And who knows, maybe this DJ will get famous and I'll become his exclusive provider ::)  (Don't count on it)

I don't see being in the center of the gym as that big of a problem, at least you aren't trying to cover the entire length of the court from one side of the room.

I would place all subs together facing the same direction (stacked or lined up next to each other if possible) to get even bass in all directions. If you can't fit four subs in the area in that configuration you might consider only bringing two (it's a high school dance, I can't see anybody in charge of the event wanting more bass than that anyway). Stacking one top on one sub in each corner would be easier to setup, but the bass response will be dissapointing anywhere but on the DJ riser pretty much (without phase and delay manipulation of each sub anyway).

Place one top in each corner up high to spread the sound out over the crowd and avoid comb filtering.

Thomas, What exactly do you mean by "all subs facing the same direction"? Do you mean at one end of the gym or all on one side of the staging in the middle of the gym?

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »

Thomas, What exactly do you mean by "all subs facing the same direction"? Do you mean at one end of the gym or all on one side of the staging in the middle of the gym?

All stacked on one side of the staging in the middle of the gym.

Another alternative that would give you good bass in all directions would be all four subs facing in towards each other. The pic I attached shows this setup modeled with meyer sound's mapp online pro software using 4 dual 18" subs (700hp). I didn't mention it in my last post because I figured the support for your staging would be in the way (If you wanted to place the subs underneath).

Brian Larson

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »

All stacked on one side of the staging in the middle of the gym.

Another alternative that would give you good bass in all directions would be all four subs facing in towards each other. The pic I attached shows this setup modeled with meyer sound's mapp online pro software using 4 dual 18" subs (700hp). I didn't mention it in my last post because I figured the support for your staging would be in the way (If you wanted to place the subs underneath).

Thomas,
Assuming I could fit them under the staging, what benefit would facing them inward have vs. facing them outward?
Thanks for all the help!

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »

Thomas,
Assuming I could fit them under the staging, what benefit would facing them inward have vs. facing them outward?
Thanks for all the help!

It's slightly more omni with the subs facing inwards (not that big of a difference though). The first model below is with them all facing outwards, close packed with the backs all touching. The second shows what can happen if you space them facing out on the corners of the stage.

Edit: Forgot to include the DB scale in my screen captures.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:43:46 AM by Thomas Kielhofner »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.