ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Front of House upgrade?  (Read 9363 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Front of House upgrade?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »

Lol it could be that the camera mic is catching his amp from stage but I have heard that before.   This critique is welcome though.

Isn't the audience also catching his amp from stage?

Mac

Mike Kraus

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

Hello,

virtually no low end, is there any low end in the mix (not hpf filtered out? or crossover set improperly?)

I hear a "clicking" sound...didn't  listen again to  the video to try and determine if it's the kick drum clicking or some input that's clipping.

You need a bit "more rig for the gig".

Hammer

It's the kick drum clicking. It really stands out on the recording but I didn't hear it that way during the show...I will have to watch that. Thanks.

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »

Please excuse a moment of supposition.

If the rhythm guitar is setting the noise floor, subs can be added, and everyone else can be turned up in the mix. But, if the root of the problem is a band that doesn't have a well-balanced sound to begin with, there's only so much a soundman can do without cranking SPL higher than necessary.

My experience as a working musician tells me most bands don't know enough, and don't pay enough attention to, achieving the best possible sound on stage, which is probably because most musicians lack exposure to the world of pro-sound (and pro-sound concepts).

Most bands can markedly improve their sound by learning as much as they can about the world of sound. Have the members of this band ever been schooled by a sound pro?
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »

Mic selection for the kick is important as well as its location in the kick drum.

Try a D6.

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »

Try a D6.

+1

+1 on Steve and Pat's D6 (or PR-40 even) suggestion, but a D6 through a paper bag... will still sound like... a paper bag...

Those EV low boxes ( not subs) produce one note, 55Hz, and that's it...

Mike Kraus

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

First off I really appreciate the input.  So far we have 2 issues:  1.  Not enough low end 2.  The band is not balanced.

Here is a video of the same song at the same venue with the same gear recorded 2 weeks later.  This was a Sunday afternoon so we were aware of volume issues.  The band made an effort to play under control.  It is not perfect by any means but let me know your opinion please.
http://youtu.be/Nv8-unrSSmg

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »

First off I really appreciate the input.  So far we have 2 issues:  1.  Not enough low end 2.  The band is not balanced.

Here is a video of the same song at the same venue with the same gear recorded 2 weeks later.  This was a Sunday afternoon so we were aware of volume issues.  The band made an effort to play under control.  It is not perfect by any means but let me know your opinion please.
http://youtu.be/Nv8-unrSSmg

My laptop has no lows so I can't tell what's happening down there
The guitar is much better volume match on this video than the last one.

My comment on the D6 came from personal experience. I thought I was having sub issues, changed mics and went "holy Crap".
Sometimes a mic change is what you need.  (Sometimes not) 
I'd think you could get enough bass for that band at that venue from that rig.
(Not saying the Eliminators are good subs, but they should do 100 people fine.)

What are you currently using for a crossover?  A Driverack might be of help.

Mike Kraus

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »

The EV Eliminators have built-in crossover.  You plug into subs and then out of subs to the tops.   Another member on this thread has used them bypassing the built-in and used other subs and I have a question out there pending for him on how to do this.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »

Growlers vs.  TH mini's i.e. 

http://youtu.be/GK4iIDa40Ss

Hey Mike,

I can't comment on the Growlers but I have a pair of TH Minis that do a good job for show of that size, certainly better than Eliminators.  They are small and fairly light (75 lbs or so).  For anything larger, you could always add another pair.  Stick them together in the middle for best results, and strap them together (that doesn't look like it would work at the venue in the video).  My tops can outrun those subs quickly, but I can find a nice balance at the driverack usually.  I run them in mono typically, giving them around 2500 watts into a 4 ohm load, limiters set appropriately  ;).

I like the Beyer M88 on kick, but it is an expensive solution... The D6 sounds good too, as do many others.

Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.