ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amping amps  (Read 6908 times)

Poopedi Kwena

Amping amps
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »

Hi guys once more

I wanted to add a power distro to my rack and it had me thinking, how much current (in amperes) will one amp draw. and does it varry if the amp is used for different applications (i.e subs, mids, comps).

i was looking at FURMAN products but i am worried that 16A might not be enough current to push 2 amplifiers, one doing the subs in bridge mode. plus all other equipment.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Amping amps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »

Hi guys once more

I wanted to add a power distro to my rack and it had me thinking, how much current (in amperes) will one amp draw. and does it varry if the amp is used for different applications (i.e subs, mids, comps).

Short answer:  The manufacturer generally gives that info on their product.  For example

http://media.qscaudio.com/pdfs/Specifications/PLX2_spec.pdf

i was looking at FURMAN products but i am worried that 16A might not be enough current to push 2 amplifiers, one doing the subs in bridge mode. plus all other equipment.

It is not generally considered necessary or a good idea to use "power conditioners" in an amp rack.  If you want to use such a piece of gear it should be put on your "other gear" like FOH.

Personally, I use a Furman AR1215 "line regulator" for my mix position rather than a cheap "power conditioner".  Google the Furman site and look up the difference for yourself.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »

Hi guys once more

Short answer:  The manufacturer generally gives that info on their product.  For example

http://media.qscaudio.com/pdfs/Specifications/PLX2_spec.pdf

It is not generally considered necessary or a good idea to use "power conditioners" in an amp rack.  If you want to use such a piece of gear it should be put on your "other gear" like FOH.

Personally, I use a Furman AR1215 "line regulator" for my mix position rather than a cheap "power conditioner".  Google the Furman site and look up the difference for yourself.
   +1

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »

Agree with looking at the manufacturer specs, but 4ohm bridged = 2ohm stereo loading, which is not commonly given by most manufacturers. Most will give you 8ohm stereo at (1/8th, 1/3 power) and 4 stereo draw (1/8th and 1/3power). Class D amps will generally draw much less power as they are more efficient but as a general rule, sub amps will draw way more power than top amps.
Story short, you need to provide more details like amp models, load (Ohms), program material and an idea about how hard you run your amplifiers for a meaningful advice on how much current you require.

Conrad

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »

Agree with looking at the manufacturer specs, but 4ohm bridged = 2ohm stereo loading, which is not commonly given by most manufacturers. Most will give you 8ohm stereo at (1/8th, 1/3 power) and 4 stereo draw (1/8th and 1/3power). Class D amps will generally draw much less power as they are more efficient but as a general rule, sub amps will draw way more power than top amps.
Story short, you need to provide more details like amp models, load (Ohms), program material and an idea about how hard you run your amplifiers for a meaningful advice on how much current you require.

Conrad
He is talking about power draw, not power output. As dick stated, many products have the maximum power draw printed on the product, typically near the power jack.

Poopedi Kwena

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

Conrad

actually i am not intending to give details rather looking for a fool proof formula or rule of thumb

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

actually i am not intending to give details rather looking for a fool proof formula or rule of thumb

In addition to the other advice, Go to the old Forum and read this link;

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/560959/23882/#msg_560959

Hope this helps.

Regards,  John

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »

OK, no details here either. Go tothe manufacturers web site and that will tell you how much your amp(s) will draw under full load. Then you add the figures together for the amps you connect to an AC outlet and that will be the current draw.

If that's not good enough go and buy an AC amp meter and measure the load in real time. So, no details, no rules of thumb, just information you could have and should have found out on your own in about 5 minutes time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »

OK, no details here either. Go tothe manufacturers web site and that will tell you how much your amp(s) will draw under full load. Then you add the figures together for the amps you connect to an AC outlet and that will be the current draw.

If that's not good enough go and buy an AC amp meter and measure the load in real time. So, no details, no rules of thumb, just information you could have and should have found out on your own in about 5 minutes time.

Get 'em.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

Hi guys once more

Plug your amps straight into the power or use regulation.  Never plug amps into power conditioners!
As a rule for myself I like to have a 20 amp circuit for every two of my system amplifiers.  Keep in mind
the current spec they give on those amps is max draw.  I prefer high power amps and to stay away
from the bridge mode for many reasons I wont get into.   At peak an amp can instantly want 15 amps
right now!  Imagine having four amps with only 20 amps available...YIKES

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.