ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Set-up - dBx DriveRack 260 and JBL  (Read 14212 times)

Rufus G. Crowder

Help With Set-up - dBx DriveRack 260 and JBL
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »

I have several Crown CE4000's and would like to "daisy chain" those that are used on the same band pass without having to use Y-splitters everywhere. I have a dBx DriveRack 260 and I want to run a dual mono tri-amp set-up. Here is what I have:

Speakers Per side:
2 each SRX 4733 Cabinets
2 each SRX 4719 Subwoofers

The manual shows how you can parallel the inputs but I use the CE 4000's in bridge mode. Is it ok to parallel the inputs and jump from one (input 2) to the other mid or sub amp (input one) while being in bridge mode? If so, I can use the other outputs on the DriveRack to go to the other amp rack on the other side of the stage and not have to use another DriveRack.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Help With Set-up - dBx DriveRack 260 and JBL
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »

I have several Crown CE4000's and would like to "daisy chain" those that are used on the same band pass without having to use Y-splitters everywhere. I have a dBx DriveRack 260 and I want to run a dual mono tri-amp set-up. Here is what I have:

Speakers Per side:
2 each SRX 4733 Cabinets

The manual shows how you can parallel the inputs but I use the CE 4000's in bridge mode. Is it ok to parallel the inputs and jump from one (input 2) to the other mid or sub amp (input one) while being in bridge mode? If so, I can use the other outputs on the DriveRack to go to the other amp rack on the other side of the stage and not have to use another DriveRack.

How many is "several"?

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »

Speakers Per side:
2 each SRX 4733 Cabinets

How many is "several"?
I have six (6) Crown CE4000's, one (1) Crown xti 4000, one (1) QSC PLX 3000, and one (1) QSC 2402.  There are four (4) CE4000's (lows and mids) and the 3000 (highs) in one rack, and the remainder in another rack.

Dennis Awrey

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:00:29 PM »

Is it ok to parallel the inputs and jump from one (input 2) to the other mid or sub amp (input one) while being in bridge mode?

No. In bridge mode, both inputs of an audio amplifier are in use. Input 1 is paralleled into input 2 and the polarity is inverted into input 2 as well.

EDIT

Perhaps I was a bit hasty. I suppose that the amp to amp signal jumpers could also be polarity inverted, returning the polarity to normal as the signal enters input 1 of the second amplifier....but this starts to complicate the signal wiring scheme of the amp rack.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:31:13 PM by Dennis Awrey »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »

Is it ok to parallel the inputs and jump from one (input 2) to the other mid or sub amp (input one) while being in bridge mode?

No. In bridge mode, both inputs of an audio amplifier are in use. Input 1 is paralleled into input 2 and the polarity is inverted into input 2 as well.

EDIT

Perhaps I was a bit hasty. I suppose that the amp to amp signal jumpers could also be polarity inverted, returning the polarity to normal as the signal enters input 1 of the second amplifier....but this starts to complicate the signal wiring scheme of the amp rack.

No.  Don't even try this.  It will put reversed-polarity cables into inventory that will inevitably get mixed in with others, creating a bunch of hard to find problems later.  It's also possible that in bridge mode that the ch. 2 XLR doesn't "see" the inverted polarity signal anyway.  No output means no worky down the line.

Better would the to make up some spade lug to XLR cables.  The barrier strip inputs on the CE4000 are wired with the XLR connectors.  Use the ch. 1 XLR input of the first amp, then use the spade lug to XLR cable, wired to ch. 1 on the barrier stip, to jump to the next amp.  No confusion, and if one wants the amps separated for a different configuration, it's as simple as unplugging the jumper.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:32:29 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »

EDIT

No.  Don't even try this.  It will put reversed-polarity cables into inventory that will inevitably get mixed in with others, creating a bunch of hard to find problems later.  It's also possible that in bridge mode that the ch. 2 XLR doesn't "see" the inverted polarity signal anyway.  No output means no worky down the line.

Better would the to make up some spade lug to XLR cables.  The barrier strip inputs on the CE4000 are wired with the XLR connectors.  Use the ch. 1 XLR input of the first amp, then use the spade lug to XLR cable, wired to ch. 1 on the barrier stip, to jump to the next amp.  No confusion, and if one wants the amps separated for a different configuration, it's as simple as unplugging the jumper.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Hmmm...ok.  Are there instances where two processors (DriveRacks) are used (one in each rack for right and left stacks fed left and right from FOH) with the same exact settings?  One of my racks is configured (with DriveRack 260) for a small set-up of SRX 715's and SRX 718's which I use for most of my gigs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »

EDIT

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Hmmm...ok.  Are there instances where two processors (DriveRacks) are used (one in each rack for right and left stacks fed left and right from FOH) with the same exact settings?  One of my racks is configured (with DriveRack 260) for a small set-up of SRX 715's and SRX 718's which I use for most of my gigs.

Yes
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Gary A. Perrett

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, that is a viable option, however if you want to control 2  DR260's you would need to use some wireless routers or something because you can only control one serial port at a time with driveware GUI... and thus have 2 instances of driveware GUI running.

Unless you stet em and forget em...then it is a good solution.

G

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »

EDIT

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I don't understand your reply to me or how it fits the quoted texts.

My point is this:  the "inverted" ch. 2 signal may or may not be present at the ch. 2 XLR *input* jack; if it is, then building a bunch of XLR male-to-male, swapped polarity cables isn't a good idea (although one could argue the M/M nature would limit how they'd be used).    The spade lug to XLR is simple, neat, and leads to no confusion.  This has zero to do with using a processor for each side of the stage.

I'm also a bit surprised the CE4000s have held up driving a 4 ohm load in bridge mode.... I'm glad you haven't experienced any issues.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:56:49 AM »

EDIT

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I don't understand your reply to me or how it fits the quoted texts.

My point is this:  the "inverted" ch. 2 signal may or may not be present at the ch. 2 XLR *input* jack; if it is, then building a bunch of XLR male-to-male, swapped polarity cables isn't a good idea (although one could argue the M/M nature would limit how they'd be used).    The spade lug to XLR is simple, neat, and leads to no confusion.  This has zero to do with using a processor for each side of the stage.

I'm also a bit surprised the CE4000s have held up driving a 4 ohm load in bridge mode.... I'm glad you haven't experienced any issues.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim, don't get me wrong, I am "listening" to everything that you have stated.  I just have all sorts of thoughts about alternative solutions.

If possible, could you show some sort of diagram of these jumper cables? 

The CE4000's have worked very well for me and I hope they continue to do so until I can afford some better gear.  I believe that they faired well in an amp shoot-out some time ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:56:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.