ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing powered VRX932LAP with passive 932LAs?  (Read 10098 times)

Will Curran

• President of Arizona Pro DJs
    • Arizona Pro DJs
Re: Mixing powered VRX932LAP with passive 932LAs?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »

Alright, thanks for that guys. Does anyone else have more feedback on mixing the powered VRX932LAP and the passive VRX932LA-1 while I build up my inventory?
Will Curran, President of Arizona Pro DJs
Web Facebook Twitter

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »

Alright, thanks for that guys. Does anyone else have more feedback on mixing the powered VRX932LAP and the passive VRX932LA-1 while I build up my inventory?

It doesn't make any difference in a properly configured rig.  You only need to match the output levels between the "passive" rig and the self-powered rig.  If you can't do this by ear you should buy Cerwin Vega.

You will not find "budget" amps that will provide the same performance as the Lab Gruppens; many would argue that I-Techs are inferior to the LG.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »

It's totally doable and a seamless tie-together.   I have 2+2 powered (per side), a buddy has 2+2 passive (per side) with crown amps.   We put them together all the time with no issues at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:04:10 AM by James A. Griffin »
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Dean Wells

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:47:40 AM »

I tread carefully here..
I have yet to hear the VRX sound anything short of harsh..and for the money spent, I personally would look at other systems.
According to other posts I have read here on PSW, if one was in the market for a constant curvature array, and willing to go passive, I think perhaps the EAW JFL210 is worth a look-especially processed with the UX8800.
As for the cross renting issue, in many applications, there is a limit to how many of these boxes one can effectively deploy anyway-it's not like if you have 4-6, you are going to need 6 more.
Just my thoughts.
 NOT a dealer for any of the above mentioned products  ;)

p.s. on the amp power thing--we run 8 Eaw La400's on a QSC PL9.0 , and , sometimes 4/4 on PL6/PL6.. Eaw says 500watts/cab long term, they have avail. to them up to 1125 ish continuous, each !!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:14:52 AM by Dean Wells »

Miller capacitance in bipolar output devices was a vector for distortion from high PS edge rates.  :)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »

Tom,
We're actually saying the same thing although I've probably made it hard to understand. Yes, I agree with you and to clarify my statement, 2x is usually the right way to go, but regardless of amp size a fool and his speakers are soon parted.
That's a relief - I was pretty shocked to hear the old "a bigger amp prevents clipping" argument from you - glad it was just miscommunication.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

I tread carefully here..
I have yet to hear the VRX sound anything short of harsh..and for the money spent, I personally would look at other systems.
According to other posts I have read here on PSW, if one was in the market for a constant curvature array, and willing to go passive, I think perhaps the EAW JFL210 is worth a look-especially processed with the UX8800.
As for the cross renting issue, in many applications, there is a limit to how many of these boxes one can effectively deploy anyway-it's not like if you have 4-6, you are going to need 6 more.
Just my thoughts.
 NOT a dealer for any of the above mentioned products  ;)

Hello! TJ - chief JFL fanboy here!

I have a lot of time on my church's VRX system, and I own the EAW JFLs personally.  The JFL210 is a more balanced design than the VRX - one horn and two 10" compared to the VRX's 3 horns and one 12".  There's 40% more cone area in the JFL, which gives it a little more capability in the low midrange.  With the UX8800 the system is pretty low distortion and gets equally loud as the VRX, and IMO, sounds better.  Cabinet cost is about the same, though adding the UX8800 increases the price quite a bit, though worth every penny.

The JFL118 subs equal the VRX918s.

All this great stuff aside - the business decisions (if you're trying to run a business) need to rule, and cross renting may be a factor for you.  I agree with Dean that you're not likely to rent 20 more of these to use in the same system, but it's conceivable that one could use as many as 12 in a realistic good deployment - 4 hangs of 3 to cover a thrust stage in a room with the stage on the long wall. 

A lot of people will comment on VRX blight - not that the VRX system is bad - it isn't, but that lots of people want to own a "line array", and think that's what the VRX system is.  These folks then advertize their "line array", and deploy it in completely inappropriate ways with inappropriate expectations, and the corresponding poor results.

My world is quasi-corporate stuff.  I wanted a low profile, lightweight, high output, flyable system that sounds really good and is appropriate for medium size hotel ballrooms.  The 110 X 30 pattern I get with the JFLs is usually perfect for me, and the output, evenness, and throw meet my expectations in a 60 X 100 ballroom, throwing 80' or so.  For other applications, a SOS trap system may be better.

Not to derail too far, but I did a review of the JFLs a while back.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/51170/0/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.