ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What bad power sources and/or "distros" have you seen?  (Read 12427 times)

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: What bad power sources and/or "distros" have you seen?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 02:39:14 AM »

I honestly can't tell if you are trolling, or actually serious.
if you like you can call my cell at 775-686-0575 and we will talk ! i'm waiting !
Now that's just entertaining.

Todd Black

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »

a few things:

the ground lift strap on the back of an amp disconnects the external signal ground (pin 1 of the XLR) from the chassis of the amp. It does not disconnect the EGC (equipment grounding conductor). You basically never, ever, ever want to disconnect the EGC -besides potentially hurting someone you risk equipment damage. For example if I have an amp with no EGC connected to a mixer that is properly grounded and the amp develops a ground fault (short ie: hot wire touches the chassis) the only path for that current to flow is through the shield of the XLR into the mixer and out the mixers line cord.

NEC does not prohibit 15 amp branch circuits in commercial occupancies. There may however be local ammendments in some jurisdictions which do require a minimum branch circuit ampacity of 20 amps.

Isolated ground receptacles dont really have any place in portable power distribution. Some people use them because they look cool and thats fine as long as the strap and ground pigtail are bonded.

Most common circuit breakers of the thermalmagnetic variety found in 99.9% of all branch circuit applications will not trip at a fraction of an amp over their rating. Infact, the trip threshold varies with temperature and is of an inverse time delay nature. A 20 amp breaker can hold a load of 21 or 22 amps for a very long time.

One should never intentionally create a ground fault in an attempt to locate a breaker. Besides the potential for injury there is the risk of equipment damage. Depending on available fault current and the impedance of the circuit between the branch breaker and the fault there may not be enough current flowing to instantly trip the breaker. During this time more than enough current is flowing to cause equipment damage (especially if your wire welds itself to the box) This has been covered time and time again in the electrical trade and its a big no-no.

I could go on and on, but I know most of the professionals here are able to weed out the utter nonsense present in this thread.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:24:12 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Todd Black

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 02:54:45 AM »

oops, forgot to address one statement made earlier in the thread:

the equipment grounding conductor (EGC) 'green' is NOT there to provide a backup if the neutral were broken (nor would it provide this function unless the neutral and ground were improperly bonded somewhere along the line) the sole purpose of the EGC is to provide a path for fault current so the overcurrent protection device (breaker or fuse) opens. Scenario: Hot wire touches metal chassis, current flows from the hot wire through the chasis out the ground wire back to the source, enough current flows to instantly trip the breaker and the situation is rendered safe. Without the EGC in place, and metal parts properly bonded, the metal would remain energized and anyone touching it would receive a shock.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

let me explain some thing to you Tom Cornish > i worked as a commercial electrician for 10 YEARS
...rant...
 call TERRY Purden and ask him about the job i did. Terry is the owner.
Thanks for preserving that!  It made my morning.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

Thanks for preserving that!  It made my morning.
You should have seen the video; I'm so glad I saved it to my hard drive.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:09:30 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:10:14 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »

just want to express my thanks to all the professional sound engineers here at PSW for their help and advice. thank you , Jeff
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:11:26 AM by Jeff Harrell »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

just want to express my thanks to all the other professional sound engineers here at PSW. however tom cornish and chris carpenter decided they know more the me , a man that worked as a commercial electrical with a journeyman certification card for 10 years. i posted a w2 form and gave the name of my boss and his fone number for them to call to verify what i claim. they just put me down more. these kind of know it all guys have an ego so big it is impossible for them to learn. after they continued to give me sheeeet i decided to remove my replys. i recorded a cpoyrighted video just for cornish and carpenter to link to. if that video appears anywhere on the internet copyright infringement charges will be filed against carpenter and cornish. this forum is here to HELP those who have questions. you should stay off here if you want to make fun of people and cut people down. thank you , Jeff
Preserving this for posterity too.

Jeff - no one doubts you were/are an electrician - unfortunately a lot of people doubt the accuracy of what you've posted.

This forum - as you have said - is all about learning. Fortunately for everyone there is a lot of peer review to make sure the curriculum is accurate.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.