ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What bad power sources and/or "distros" have you seen?  (Read 12423 times)

Michael Williams

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • www.fohmix.com
    • FOHMIX
What bad power sources and/or "distros" have you seen?
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »

I was wondering the other day what folks have seen over the years as an excuse for a "distro", or power source. 

While wandering around eBay today this caught my attention.  Notice the "Ground Lift" switch.  Say what!?!?!?  And, do you see any breakers protecting those 15A and 20A Edisons?  Me either.   :P

Needless to say, this one makes it onto my "Are You Kidding Me?" list of things I hope I never come across.

Anything you guys (or gals) care to share so we can all have a laugh?  Got any pics?

...crossing my fingers no one get killed...
-Michael

Excellence in engineering starts first with the engineer, not the equipment.
www.fohmix.com

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: What bad power sources and/or "distros" have you seen?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

Full name required, please fix in your profile.

TIA
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Paul John Volzone

• "Heroes Get remembered Kid... Legends Never Die".
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »

The only thing scaring me on that is the Ground/Lift switch. I dont see a problem with no breaker on that. It has the 30A hubbel connection coming in whose circuit would be protected by a breaker back at the main distro. This just looks like your power supply for an amp rack. See these all the time.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

The only thing scaring me on that is the Ground/Lift switch. I dont see a problem with no breaker on that. It has the 30A hubbel connection coming in whose circuit would be protected by a breaker back at the main distro. This just looks like your power supply for an amp rack. See these all the time.

Assuming they have a 30a breaker on the 30a feeder, that isn't going to stop the 15a & 20a circuits from catching on fire if they are overloaded.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »

Paul, I'm not going to be a nice guy. 

DONT GIVE ELECTRICAL ADVICE, YOU ARE WRONG.

I strongly suggest that you go to your local library and read the National Electrical Code (NFPA-70), 2005 or newer edition.  Specifically you need to read and understand Article 200, 210 I and 210 II, 240 and 250; read through 300 to 312, most of it does not apply to our materials or methods but there are things that do; 400 through 408; 520 and 525; and 640.

You have your homework.

Tim Mc

ps. Mike Pyle explains what can happen.  The Code exists to minimize the opportunity for such things.  Electricity is an awesome but fearsome energy.  It can electrocute you or start the fires of hell.  Neither will get you a "good neighbor" recommendation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:44:45 PM »

Paul, I'm not going to be a nice guy. 

DONT GIVE ELECTRICAL ADVICE, YOU ARE WRONG.

I strongly suggest that you go to your local library and read the National Electrical Code (NFPA-70), 2005 or newer edition.  Specifically you need to read and understand Article 200, 210 I and 210 II, 240 and 250; read through 300 to 312, most of it does not apply to our materials or methods but there are things that do; 400 through 408; 520 and 525; and 640.

You have your homework.

Tim Mc

ps. Mike Pyle explains what can happen.  The Code exists to minimize the opportunity for such things.  Electricity is an awesome but fearsome energy.  It can electrocute you or start the fires of hell.  Neither will get you a "good neighbor" recommendation.

Not that this is something to joke about, but I love that they used orange outlets (Ie isolated ground outlets).

"but these are hospital grade outlets, what could possibly go wrong".....

Paul John Volzone

• "Heroes Get remembered Kid... Legends Never Die".
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:40 AM »

First off, I APOLOGIZE, and stand corrected. Thank you Tim; feel free to do so anytime.  Ive just seen many similar items but on short glance i didnt take time to soak in the defects visually, and run the numbers thru my head.(shall avoid putting my foot in my mouth in future  :-\) Appreciate the references to the NEC, and will make it some summer homework in the upcoming days.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:46:38 AM by Paul John Volzone »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:54:46 AM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:37:26 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:04 AM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:37:57 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »

!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:39:07 AM by Jeff Harrell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.