ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer/DSP for retail space  (Read 8161 times)

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
Mixer/DSP for retail space
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »

We're looking at standardizing the sound systems in all of our retail spaces and I'm looking for mixer/dsp combinations that have little or no control on them without connecting to a computer.  We'd like to make it so only someone who knows what they're doing can make changes instead of our current situation where we have a variety of amplifier and mixer knobs that anyone working in that particular place can adjust.
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Mixer/DSP for retail space
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »

We're looking at standardizing the sound systems in all of our retail spaces and I'm looking for mixer/dsp combinations that have little or no control on them without connecting to a computer.  We'd like to make it so only someone who knows what they're doing can make changes instead of our current situation where we have a variety of amplifier and mixer knobs that anyone working in that particular place can adjust.

What does it need to be capable of?
Inputs, Mic vs. Line, Mono vs. stereo?
Phantom power?
XLR, RCA or terminal strip?
Zones of output?
VCA control of zones?
ducking?
Fire alarm interface?

Other needs?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:21:09 PM »

You may find that there is a significant difference between limiting the controls available and making it where someone needs to connect a computer and be conversant with the related software in order to do anything.  So in addition to the type of factors Lee noted, you might want to think about whether the goal is really to prevent having any control without connecting a computer or if it is more to provide some limited control without a computer connected.

As an example, not having any volume control without connecting a computer and running some software seems rather impractical for most situations, however some devices might let you have a remote control that provides input and/or master volume controls but to then limit the range over which those controls operate.  So you might have something like a small wall mount controller that would let users select the current source and make minor level adjustments, but then require a computer for anything beyond that.

And of course one often critical factor is budget, so how much you are looking to spend on these devices?

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:19:16 AM »

You may find that there is a significant difference between limiting the controls available and making it where someone needs to connect a computer and be conversant with the related software in order to do anything.  So in addition to the type of factors Lee noted, you might want to think about whether the goal is really to prevent having any control without connecting a computer or if it is more to provide some limited control without a computer connected.

As an example, not having any volume control without connecting a computer and running some software seems rather impractical for most situations, however some devices might let you have a remote control that provides input and/or master volume controls but to then limit the range over which those controls operate.  So you might have something like a small wall mount controller that would let users select the current source and make minor level adjustments, but then require a computer for anything beyond that.

And of course one often critical factor is budget, so how much you are looking to spend on these devices?

Thanks Brad and Lee. Good thoughts.  I guess I should have further qualified my first post. I have a variety of different configurations, so I'm looking at different product families to evaluate against our different needs. A few products that may work are

dbx ZonePro
Symetrix Jupiter
Ashly PEMA (all in one unit with amplifiers)

are there other similar product families out there that have similar capabilities?
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

Thanks Brad and Lee. Good thoughts.  I guess I should have further qualified my first post. I have a variety of different configurations, so I'm looking at different product families to evaluate against our different needs. A few products that may work are

dbx ZonePro
Symetrix Jupiter

are there other similar product families out there that have similar capabilities?

Rane RPM88 & RPM44 (and associated remote control options).
http://rane.com/rpm88.html

Ashly ne series.
http://www.ashly.com/neseriesxx00.html

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »

I guess I should have further qualified my first post. I have a variety of different configurations, so I'm looking at different product families to evaluate against our different needs. A few products that may work are

dbx ZonePro
Symetrix Jupiter

So the needs vary and you are considering products that vary, but apparently cannot provide details on the applications or requirements.  So the following is offered without really knowing what is needed or wanted:

Biamp Nexia or Audia
Peavey MediaMatrix Nion
Lectrosonics DM or Aspen
XTA DC
EAW DX1208
Allen & Heath iDR
Rane RPM

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »

I've used the DBX Zone Pro with great success on a number of installs.  The end user still has control over source, volume (within a range you set), and muting for each zone, but they can't touch the gain, eq, xover, gating, etc.  You can also put wall controls in each zone, interface with the fire alarm, and assign priority paging and source override. 

You should be able to pick one up for about $1000

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »

I like the BSS Blu100.  It's nicely configured for most applications and can provide a defineable user interface for a local computer that only allows access to what the end user needs with the correct password.  A simple inwall volume and switch interface can control whatever you assign it to.
This space for rent

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »

If you only need 1 or 2 external volume controls the Jupiter series is very cost-effective and very straight forward in it's operation.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »

Products designed for fixed install will often offer security covers to prevent the meat socks from twiddling where they shouldn't.

While I was at Peavey I even developed a knob with a long shaft built into the back of the knob, so the installer could selectively remove the knobs from just the controls he wanted to protect, and cover the empty holes with hole plugs.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.