ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with cheap wireless lavs  (Read 2556 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Help with cheap wireless lavs
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:18:48 pm »

Worked a show last night, talent had two PG series lav mics on a two-channel receiver.  They stayed back of the mains, but I was fighting feedback all evening.  I used narrow cuts on four different frequencies on both channels with an HPF and another narrow cut in the mid-high range on the mains.  Short of bringing better quality wireless gear, is there anything else I should have done?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Help with cheap wireless lavs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »

Worked a show last night, talent had two PG series lav mics on a two-channel receiver.  They stayed back of the mains, but I was fighting feedback all evening.  I used narrow cuts on four different frequencies on both channels with an HPF and another narrow cut in the mid-high range on the mains.  Short of bringing better quality wireless gear, is there anything else I should have done?

Throw the lavs in the trash and gone with a real mic.

But seriously, I avoid lavs as much as possible. They must have been omni directional. About all can do is make sure they are as close to the mouth as you can get them, eq the best you can, have them stay away from the mains and ride the fadders.
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:17 pm »

Worked a show last night, talent had two PG series lav mics on a two-channel receiver.  They stayed back of the mains, but I was fighting feedback all evening. I used narrow cuts on four different frequencies on both channels with an HPF and another narrow cut in the mid-high range on the mains.  Short of bringing better quality wireless gear, is there anything else I should have done?

What did you have available for this?  How many filters and usable band width?

Just curious.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »

What did you have available for this?  How many filters and usable band width?

Just curious.

Two channels on an LS9-16, so a four-band parametric on each input, and a four-band parametric on the stereo left and right out.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:54 pm »

Two channels on an LS9-16, so a four-band parametric on each input, and a four-band parametric on the stereo left and right out.

I have a pair of insertable Sabine "solo" FBX units which I can use for times like that.  They are a nice addition to the 4 bands on the console.  But you're a bit limited if you don't have inserts.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:59:03 am »

For another 4 bands, route the inputs to groups and use the group's parametric.  Then route the group to L/R.

I greatly prefer this to using the main L/R output EQ, as that affects EVERYTHING that doesn't need EQ... and I get to use the Input channel's EQ for HPF and tonal shaping.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Luke Landis

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:55 am »

Even real nice Lavs are a pain if the surrounding noise is to high. I had to go to some Crown 311s once at a mall. it was impossible to get the levels with out the surrounding noise as well.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:10 am »

Short of bringing better quality wireless gear, is there anything else I should have done?

I try to move those clients to headset mics. Life immediately gets much easier.
The tiny ones coming out of China now are really unobtrusive and work fine.

On the LS9, you can also insert graphic EQs anywhere.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:10 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.