ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ Monitor Setup  (Read 7493 times)

Sergio Vazquez

DJ Monitor Setup
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

I have a question.
I was planning on setting up a 2-way, electronically crossed over monitor setup with an 18" sub and a 12" full range top. I plan to put them on a riser so they are stuck together (no pole). I want the DJ to FEEL all of the frequencies being played that typical stage monitors cannot produce.

I was told that pointing the speakers directly towards one another causes phasing while the DJ moves from left to right from center. What is the optimum angle and distance?

Anyone have some good/bad experience with DJ monitor setup. Has anyone used a mono setup and what are advantages or disadvantages?

Serge

Dave Scarlett

Re: DJ Monitor Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

Not sure I understand what you are saying as far as phase problems. Simply stack the 12" on top of the 18, cross over between 80 and 100 depending on top and let 'em go.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »

I have a question.
I was planning on setting up a 2-way, electronically crossed over monitor setup with an 18" sub and a 12" full range top. I plan to put them on a riser so they are stuck together (no pole). I want the DJ to FEEL all of the frequencies being played that typical stage monitors cannot produce.

I was told that pointing the speakers directly towards one another causes phasing while the DJ moves from left to right from center. What is the optimum angle and distance?

Anyone have some good/bad experience with DJ monitor setup. Has anyone used a mono setup and what are advantages or disadvantages?

Serge

Often I use the 2 regular monitor wedges. Recently I used a single 15 sub with 2x10" wedges on top. Put a lot of thump under the DJs feet. As long as the wedges are loud enough that the FOH delay isn't audible to him, the DJ will usually be OK.

Sergio Vazquez

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 03:03:38 AM »

What about running both sides in mono? Any thoughts/experiences?

Serge

Tracy Garner

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »

Serge

As long as the mono signal is being fed both channels of output from the DJ mixer, it is no problem. Lately, I have been using the same monitor setup for drum monitor and even keyboard monitor.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »

Serge

The issue to consider with that is the DJ may do certain panning effects in his show and he won't hear them properly if you use mono.  I would suggest checking with him or his manager.  I've never experienced a phasing issue and we usually put one wedge on each side of the DJ setup.  I did sound for LA Riots, an EDM DJ duo, and used two custom built wedges with a 15" and a 2" horn in them over an 18" sub on each side, they said it was one of the loudest monitor rigs they had played on, but they didn't mention or complain about any phasing issues.  If it's a hip-hop show they probably won't notice or care if you do mono, but EDM DJ's tend to be somewhat audiophiles as well. 

chuck clark

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »

Speakers aimed directly at each other will have crossing wave fields with the resulting peaks and nulls at wavelengths = to the distance between the sources. Solution? Move the 2 sources far enough from each other that it minimizes the effect and avoid aiming them DIRECTLY at each other to further minimize the effect.
I've had excellent results putting the monitors at the front corners of the stage and aiming them towards the center rear of the stage. It sounded great, gave good coverage and reduced feedback by keeping the spkrs in front of the mics.
The frequencies that "hit" your body (roughly 60 to 200 hz) are important in mons, but the deep earthmover frequencies (roughly 30 to 60 hz, should be filtered from monitor mixes so they don't cancel what's coming off the main system. (very low frequencies have long wavelengths so they can more easily cancel each other from surprising distances.
I've never had mono mixs be any problem as long as the input from both left and right channels is present in the mono mix.
That way if the performer pans a signal from left to right at least it doesn't disappear from the mix. Happy sailing!
Chuck

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »

I use a "Send" from my Mackie Board (Live Mixer) to a powered Peavey wedge and that works for me. Over the many years, my ears are trained to hear my main FOH sound even if I am behind it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.