ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Radios For Production  (Read 6644 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Handheld Radios For Production
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »

Vertex 354 16 channel: I bought one in VHF to use as a handheld on the boats. It lasted about 3 months, and I just replaced it with a used HT1000. On mine, the remote mic died after a few patrol shifts, and even without the remote mic, dispatch tells me my audio is scratchy. They are small and compact, and its nice having the display window too see what channel you are on (but since I wear the radio on my belt and use a remote mic, I never see the screen anyway). The battery lasts a very long time, and would be really good radios to use in production, although a little pricey.

Craig, what happened that it needed replacing? I have been using the VX-354s on a regular gig for a few years now and we have had no issues with them at all (except for the hostile radio environment around the World Trade Center construction site). I have also been using GP300s for many years, but they just feel big after carrying around the Vertex.

Mac

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:36:09 pm »

For those in the Toronto, Ontario area, surplus Motorola's purchased for the G20 conference are still available with a wide range of accessories.
Who is selling them?  I might know some people interested.

Andre

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 11:04:09 pm »

Hello Andre;

Brocomm, not far from you in Rockton.
I'll fetch a phone number for you tomorrow.

Ron Hebbard

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:17:23 am »

Vertex 354 16 channel: I bought one in VHF to use as a handheld on the boats. It lasted about 3 months, and I just replaced it with a used HT1000. On mine, the remote mic died after a few patrol shifts, and even without the remote mic, dispatch tells me my audio is scratchy. They are small and compact, and its nice having the display window too see what channel you are on (but since I wear the radio on my belt and use a remote mic, I never see the screen anyway). The battery lasts a very long time, and would be really good radios to use in production, although a little pricey.

Craig, what happened that it needed replacing? I have been using the VX-354s on a regular gig for a few years now and we have had no issues with them at all (except for the hostile radio environment around the World Trade Center construction site). I have also been using GP300s for many years, but they just feel big after carrying around the Vertex.

Mac

On mine, I went through a Vertex MH-450s remote mic in less than a month. While the mic cable and head feel solid, the cable developed a short after only a few uses and now the remote mic doesn't work at all.  And of course, Vertex doesn't use the same mic connector as Icom or Motorola so I couldn't use one of the remote mics I already owned, and I had to buy another Vertex one.

I don't know what happened to the radio. It did sound good when I first got the radio, and it never went into the water, or was dropped.  Its supposed to be water resistant and durable, but my dispatch tells me that through our repeater, it has poor and scratchy audio, and using it on simplex frequencies radio to radio it also sounds bad.   I was in a bad storm one day and got drenched from the rain and a few big waves, so maybe that's what did it.   

Whatever the case, I need to feel 100% comfortable in the gear I carry, and even though I have a large mobile Motorola  radio mounted in the boat, many times I am off the boat by myself and my radio just has to work all the time.

Probably a great radio for production, or general business uses, but not a radio I would recommend for public safety.

Its sort of our own fault for thinking an inexpensive radio could last on the boats, but our program gets little money and we tried to stretch our radio dollars. Now I'm back to buying used proven radios.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 09:32:37 am »

Probably a great radio for production, or general business uses, but not a radio I would recommend for public safety.

Its sort of our own fault for thinking an inexpensive radio could last on the boats, but our program gets little money and we tried to stretch our radio dollars. Now I'm back to buying used proven radios.

You discovered (fortunately not in a life-safety situation) the VX-2xx, 3xx and 4xx series is not designed for, nor marketed for PS applications and is intended for the business market, as is the CP200. Even the Waris series (HT750/1250/1550) is not marketed to PS though many agencies do use it because it happens to be quite rugged at a significantly lower price point than the XTS and APR series.

If you're looking for a cost effective PS grade radio, the VX-530 (what NYPD is now using) and the VX-920 are excellent candidates. Of course there's also eBay for XTS series and Thales radios.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:38 am »

Brocomm, not far from you in Rockton.
I'll fetch a phone number for you tomorrow.
Thanks Ron.  I found their website. 

www.bro-comm.com

Not far? I can not even prepend their phone nuumber with a 1!   ;)

Locally,
Andre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:38 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.