ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis 3630  (Read 7867 times)

David Flowers

Re: Alesis 3630
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

I had one once, It didn't take much signal to overload it. I recently ended up with one of their 1/3 rack micro compressors ??
They seem to be the same thing in a smaller space. I haven’t tried to use it for real though.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »

Even I won't use them.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »

In defense of these little "charms"... I use these in live sound on sub-groups.  For the cost of these "tools", they have served me well over the years.  Obviously, there are substantially more expensive ones available and I would consider those if I did recording.

I  have never had any issues with them and no one has ever come up to me and complained about how the compression for the drums/vocals/etc... sounded like "ass".

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »

I've always had bad experiences with Alesis... Not real rider friendly either...

Regardless...

Anyone had any experience with the 3630?

Had one back when they first came out.  Mine compressed differently on each channel even when you fed the same signal at the same level to both sides.  It was easy to cause massive pumping which was a fun effect in the studio some days.  Sold it for $75 and felt like I had committed a felony by taking that much money

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »

It's a pretty different direction from your other recent posts of using external fancy preamps.

+1
I'm still trying to get my head around the jump from Grace Designs in one thread to the dirty-six dirty* here, seems like pulling in opposite directions.
I really hope they're for completely different gigs/clients.
If it's for getting a deliberate lo-fi/distorted vocal sound, I'd think an appropriate preset in many FX devices would be a better option.
Cheers,
David.

* Well, someone had to say it  ;)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »

Just like throwing money into the street.

I have often thought Alesis, looking to save on production costs, sent these to Behringer for manufacture. To further cut down on the costs they probably eliminated quality control, and to further cut costs they probably used components rejected by Behringer.

What happened to the M101 experiment? Sounds like you're looking to fill your rack with gadgets instead of quality productive hardware. Pick a path, follow it, and leave the bullshit rack pieces for later in life when you might have the money to waste. That way when you find out crap is always crap it doesn't hurt as much when you open your wallet.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »

+1
I'm still trying to get my head around the jump from Grace Designs in one thread to the dirty-six dirty* here, seems like pulling in opposite directions.
If it's for getting a deliberate lo-fi/distorted vocal sound, I'd think an appropriate preset in many FX devices would be a better option.
Cheers,
David.

Just wanting to broaden my knowledge of gear. There's always a chance that there might be a few "sleepers" out there in gear that doesn't immediately seem appropriate or worthy..

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

+1
Cheers,
David.

Just wanting to broaden my knowledge of gear. There's always a chance that there might be a few "sleepers" out there in gear that doesn't immediately seem appropriate or worthy..
Well, at least you've found consensus that this piece isn't one of them.   :D

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Well, at least you've found consensus that this piece isn't one of them.   :D

yup.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.