ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX728 - Recone for 2268H  (Read 7675 times)

Pip Theobald

• Pip Theobald
SRX728 - Recone for 2268H
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:43 pm »

I need to replace or recone 3 x 2268H drivers and wanting to know if they are very similar to other drivers to recone. The hype seems to suggest the voice coil is different???   

Has anyone here reconed a 2268H ?   Is it pretty straight forward ?

Also anyone used reconekits.com  for parts?

p.s. Yes I put 5000 watts into each box thinking they could take it !   :-\  :'( ??? ::)
Pip Theobald
Byron Audio
Byron Bay Australia

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: SRX728 - Recone for 2268H
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:03:05 am »

Your best reference will be Pro Sound Service located in Braintree, MA the largest JBL dealer in the USA. Give them a call.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:43 am »

I need to replace or recone 3 x 2268H drivers and wanting to know if they are very similar to other drivers to recone. The hype seems to suggest the voice coil is different???   

p.s. Yes I put 5000 watts into each box thinking they could take it !   :-\  :'( ??? ::)

I'm not familiar with the 2268 but I did order from reconekits.com for some Cerwin-Vega stuff a few years back and they have held up just fine. Reconing is a fairly simple procedure(at least for woofers). As long as you take your time and do all the prep It's pretty easy.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:23 am »

I strongly suggest using only factory-trained labor and genuine JBL parts.

Read the JBL white paper on Differential Drive« technology to understand how the voice coil is set up.  It's not rocket surgery to recone, but it does require knowing the mechanical/practical differences between a conventional, single-wound VC and the dual-winding VC of the 2268.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

paul bell

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:02 am »

You cannot purchase a JBL re-cone kit. They are only available to trained and authorized JBL service shops. You send them the woofer. They re-cone it with a genuine JBL kit. You get a speaker exactly as JBL made it. You get a warranty.

Any re-cone kit you might find to purchase will not be a genuine JBL kit.

I'll second the nod for Pro Sound Service.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

You are actually the first person I heard of that has actually blown a 2268. Based on my setup, I bridged IT8000 on 1 cabinet  (~7000@4ohm) for about 2 months straight and he speakers lived and are still in use. Tell us more about the 5w killing these drivers.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:50:43 pm »

charlie Tappa showeed me a couple all blown to hell the last time I was down to Pro Sound Service. I was amazed at the damage done to the voice coils and neither of us could guesstimate at the amount of power it took to destroy those drivers, but certainly more than 5KW, and certainly not clean sound. Very rare indeed.

Did I mention they were brought in by a DJ??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Gibson

• Marketplace
    • Capital A Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »

You are actually the first person I heard of that has actually blown a 2268. Based on my setup, I bridged IT8000 on 1 cabinet  (~7000@4ohm) for about 2 months straight and he speakers lived and are still in use. Tell us more about the 5w killing these drivers.

I have blown a pair of drivers in a 728.  Powering it with a bridged plx2 3602. Working as a drum fill.   Worked at load in.  Came back the next day and dead as a door nail.   
To be a trusted, valued and, respected, leader by being fair, fun, confident and honest.

Pip Theobald

• Pip Theobald
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:02 am »

Thanks for the resposes.      To blow them I used a Lab Gruppen FP10000q. Its 4 channels and in bridge mode delivers 2 x 5000w into 4 Ohms.   After using this configuration many times and being very impressed with the output of the subs I was asked to do a big hall. It was DJs playing house music !!!     Im such an idiot :-[

It was totally a case of pushing the pedal down to hard for too long. I thought the speakers were indestructable. They werent. :-\

A couple of places are offering replacement drivers for US$330 plus freight. Freight is another $400. Maybe thats the best option. At least that way they remain "stock" , the way JBL intended !  ::)
Pip Theobald
Byron Audio
Byron Bay Australia

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »

The big question here; How bad they sound and for how long before they finally succumbed?

DJ's keep reconers in business.

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:12 pm ┬╗

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.