ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please can you recommend a crossover  (Read 10378 times)

jamespgoodman

• www.londonlivesound.com
Please can you recommend a crossover
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »

Hi, I am looking for a crossover for the following, could you recommend one please? I'm hoping I don't have to spend too much because I don't imagine the circuitry is too complicated? ie I'm happy to go with Behringer if it doesn't adversely affect the sound.

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Obviously the RCF has a built in crossover, however this is redundant as I am feeding an auxillary mix to the sub because I don't want to send the vocal mics to the sub.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: Please can you recommend a crossover
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

Hi, I am looking for a crossover for the following, could you recommend one please? I'm hoping I don't have to spend too much because I don't imagine the circuitry is too complicated? ie I'm happy to go with Behringer if it doesn't adversely affect the sound.

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Obviously the RCF has a built in crossover, however this is redundant as I am feeding an auxillary mix to the sub because I don't want to send the vocal mics to the sub.

Thanks,

James

Hey James!

I cant recommend enough the DBX Driverack stuff. Great crossovers... but it also has other great features.

I use a DBX 260 with my powered system all the time. It is great to have control over crossover settings even though the powered boxes do come with them. A lot of times the built in crossovers and limiters in these boxes aren't the best, and limit your flexibility.

I would get a used 260 if you can. (Can be had for around $600 used)

If not the other DBX Driverack series stuff works too (PX, PA+).

Hope that helps!

Steven

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Thanks,

James

For something that is more "analog" and less work, the DBX 223 and Ashly XR1001 crossovers are good.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Thanks,

James

For something that is more "analog" and less work, the DBX 223 and Ashly XR1001 crossovers are good.

I like the DBX as well.  But you might want to consider the 223XL as it has XLR connectors while the plain old 223 uses TRS balanced 1/4" connections.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Thanks,

James

Get a used dbx 223 or 234 and use it in your system, then if you do get a behringer product, use it to hold the door open when you load in and out. ;)

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

2 x RCF Art 722a tops
1 x RCF Art 905as sub

Thanks,

James

There are a lot of good used crossovers available used.

You could get something like a BSS, TDM, or Ashly for less than the price of a brand new DBX.

I'd even recommend a used Peavey over a new Behringer.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:50 AM »

I will confess to using a Behringer piece here and there, but their crossovers are truly not worth the savings over a DBX analog. What you buy should probably be determined by your budget, as your needs don't seem to be very demanding. The fact that you will using it basically as a hi-pass filter is even more of an argument for keeping it simple. If you don't have any other outboard gear (eq, limiter. etc) maybe a DBX DRPA could be justified, but even that might be overkill.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ron Kimball

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »

It's hard to beat a DBX223XL and a used Rane MQ-302 stereo equalizer ( nobody make one any more :( ) for simplicity and usability with powered cabs. I have two such setups :) and a couple DSP's gathering dust on the shelf.

Mike McNany

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:09 AM »

While a few have slammed the Behringer crossovers, I had used one in the past for about 4-5 years. It was a CX2310 and it worked fine for what it was needed for. HOWEVER, for the same new cost as the Behringer, you can get the dbx233xl used.  The dbx is what I'd recommend and they are not that hard to find used as people move on to DSPs. I went from the Behringer CX2310 to the DBX233XL to a DBX DRPA. DBX does have the DRPA-PA setup for running powered speakers, not bad for your system. Note: for about $50 you can pick up a used CX2310 to try out and you can always resell it for the same if you don't like.

Mike McNany

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »

It's hard to beat a DBX223XL and a used Rane MQ-302 stereo equalizer ( nobody make one any more :( ) for simplicity and usability with powered cabs. I have two such setups :) and a couple DSP's gathering dust on the shelf.

IF you don't mind the ultra-short-throw sliders on the 302.  I found them to be so short scale as to be next to useless.  I tiny, TINY movement of any of the sliders makes a disproportionately  LARGE effect on the sound. 

It's no wonder they've been discontinued.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.