ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath ZED-24  (Read 27285 times)

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
Re: Allen & Heath ZED-24
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »

Then don't do that!
Good thinking Batman! Why didn't I think of that!

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »

We have a ZED14 here.
Also likes to blow fuses if you plug it in with the power switch on.

Maybe take the time to read the manual... which am sure will state that your meant to turn the unit on after the desk is plugged in (like most things).

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »

Maybe take the time to read the manual... which am sure will state that your meant to turn the unit on after the desk is plugged in (like most things).
No it doesn't state that.

And it's not like most things. I don't know any other bit of sound gear that exhibits that issue. Poor design - not taking into account say installations that have remote / timed power switching.  ;)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »

No it doesn't state that.

And it's not like most things. I don't know any other bit of sound gear that exhibits that issue. Poor design - not taking into account say installations that have remote / timed power switching.  ;)

Really ?
Your still using FFA amps right ? (am sure those test results of the 6004 are on here actually)
Anyway it states the PowerCon® should not be connected or disconnected under load or live!

Now i would say this goes pretty much across the board for anything.....
step 1 - plug it in
step 2 - turn it on
step 3 - use the equipment

You seem to be the only person blowing fuses so maybe try the steps above :)

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »

it states the PowerCon® should not be connected or disconnected under load or live!
What's that got to do with FFA amps?!

If you read the application notes for a powercon connector, you'll find that that's stipulated by Neutrik, not the equipment it's used in. Try re-reading my post...  it's not about connecting the power cord when under load. Imagine you're in the scenario where power cuts for whatever reason in a show and gets restored quickly. You can't have the desk popping a fuse on startup. Maybe this one is faulty?

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:55 AM »

What's that got to do with FFA amps?!

If you read the application notes for a powercon connector, you'll find that that's stipulated by Neutrik, not the equipment it's used in. Try re-reading my post...  it's not about connecting the power cord when under load. Imagine you're in the scenario where power cuts for whatever reason in a show and gets restored quickly. You can't have the desk popping a fuse on startup. Maybe this one is faulty?

Well you did say:
''And it's not like most things. I don't know any other bit of sound gear that exhibits that issue''

Well as we both know your FFA10000 blow not just its fuse but components inside after inserting the Powercon underload.... or was this due to something else ?? or maybe that one is faulty as it did to it again only a few weeks later didn't it.....

My point is you have tried your best to discredit a very good desk for its money by making commemnts like:
We have a ZED14 here.
The preamps and EQ leave a lot to be desired! Also likes to blow fuses if you plug it in with the power switch on.
Faders are nice (if a little cheap feeling, but it's to be expected) and USB function is useful.
I'd rather buy a secondhand Venice than the equivalent ZED board new however.

Now as I've just reminded you your FFA amps have had problems (like your ZED14) and you wouldn't call those cheap would you ? or maybe your just doing something wrong with your kit...

Anyway lets try and get back on track now :)

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

Well as we both know your FFA10000 blow not just its fuse but components inside after inserting the Powercon underload.... or was this due to something else ?? or maybe that one is faulty as it did to it again only a few weeks later didn't it.....
Nope, completely wrong there, it was nothing to do with hot-plugging a powercon whatsoever! It was a component in the power supply. We haven't had an issue since
My point is you have tried your best to discredit a very good desk for its money by making commemnts like:
Now as I've just reminded you your FFA amps have had problems (like your ZED14) and you wouldn't call those cheap would you ? or maybe your just doing something wrong with your kit...
It's a review section. It's all about opinions based on actually owning and using the kit  ;)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »

Nope, completely wrong there, it was nothing to do with hot-plugging a powercon whatsoever! It was a component in the power supply. We haven't had an issue sinceIt's a review section. It's all about opinions based on actually owning and using the kit  ;)

Good to hear they sorted that problem out then :) and am glad you appreciate my review :)

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »

The preamps and EQ leave a lot to be desired...
Mike,

Would you mind expounding on this a little more?

Do the preamps sound noisy to you...do they not have the amount of gain you desire? 

The EQ only features one sweepable band, but that's not uncommon for a small-format mixer in the ZED's price range.  It would be nice to have more bands or options, but it's usable.  What did you think of the 2-band EQ on the stereo channels?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Christopher Capp

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »

Rather disappointed with with Allen and Heath customer service so far. Bought a brand new ZED14... the #4 gain trim causes some sort of horrendous digital sounding feedback when turned up, even with the channel fader down and no 'returns' routed into the board. Manufacturer wont take the board back.... has told us to take it to a repair shop under warranty. It's supposed to be brand new... I didn't pay for a refurbished board by the time this is done.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:15:35 PM by Christopher Capp »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.