ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel transmission over long distances  (Read 8679 times)

Oliver Driver

Re: Multi-channel transmission over long distances
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »

Hello all

I have an event coming where I need to send 12ch of audio over 350 meters. I have doubts on wich is the best way to do this. My best guess is Ethersound, with switches to "reamplify" the signal every 100m.

Is there any other method of transmitting multichannel audio over long distances, without reamplification? Is there a ethersound over fiber optic protocol (optocore)? I recall reading something about it somewhere but I can't find it now...

Thanks,

C.

We regularly use Ethersound over 300m to 500m distances over fibre - we use the Allied Telesyn MC102XL ( http://www.alliedtelesis.com/p-2219.html ) converters from CAT5 to Fibre ( as recommended by Ethersound ) and have had no problems. It's much easier than using CAT5 and hubs every 100m ( also means you don't loose the bi-directional element of Ethersound ). They cost around $100 each and have been very reliable over the last 2-3 years, with no failures or problems.

As it's Ethersound you also get the full channel count (64) in both directions which is useful for talkback or spares.

Hope this helps.

Oliver.

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »

Hello all

I have an event coming where I need to send 12ch of audio over 350 meters. I have doubts on wich is the best way to do this. My best guess is Ethersound, with switches to "reamplify" the signal every 100m.

Is there any other method of transmitting multichannel audio over long distances, without reamplification? Is there a ethersound over fiber optic protocol (optocore)? I recall reading something about it somewhere but I can't find it now...

Thanks,

C.

Carlos,

As others have said, running that much analogue is usually ok. With the proviso that you use decent screened multi. Also that your equipment at each end, is designed properly, and it doesn't have pin 1 problems etc.

For a low-ish cost, but otherwise high quality digital solution. You could check out the Roland REAC system. A couple of 1608 boxes and a couple of S-Opt boxes plus fibre cable would be very economical, and more importantly it would give you a 2km range. If you are considering going digital for the rest of your system, I would suggest looking at their bigger systems. In the UK our national broadcaster (BBC) and many independent broadcast facility providers are using the REAC system. I think that Ethersound appears to be dead in the water, except for those who already have some equipment that uses it.

Iain.

Carlos del Valle

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »

Thanks for all the awnsers. The run is for a press send in a large corporate event, and the cable would be hidden and not abused. I thought of Ethersound because it's only one cable, and I figured it would be a cheaper solution than a 300m analog multipair.

I liked Olivier's solution, I'll look into it, and if my boss is not into buying it, I guess I'll run analog lines anyway... But with Ethersound I would be able to use a send from my SD7, to a LS9 to control all media feeds using just one not so expensive cable...

Thanks all.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

Thanks for all the awnsers. The run is for a press send in a large corporate event, and the cable would be hidden and not abused. I thought of Ethersound because it's only one cable, and I figured it would be a cheaper solution than a 300m analog multipair.

I liked Olivier's solution, I'll look into it, and if my boss is not into buying it, I guess I'll run analog lines anyway... But with Ethersound I would be able to use a send from my SD7, to a LS9 to control all media feeds using just one not so expensive cable...

Thanks all.

The price of the copper should be the least of your concerns.  The price of adding network switches (not consumer products, but enterprise-level) to a robust and redundant run of CAT5e will probably equal the cost of multipair analog.  That's what we've been trying to tell you, Carlos... and that analog will not present signal degradation of any significance.

I'd just rent the cable run and get 16 pairs so you have a couple of backup lines and room for party line intercom as well.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »

Are there really 12 different audio feeds for press? Even at the biggest press focussed event I do we only have 5 different feeds, because we have 5 simultaneous venues. Each of those 5 feeds goes to a 32 output press DA in the workroom. What are your 12 feeds?

Ethersound would be a viable solution, if there was an Ethersound card for the SD7, I don't think there is, and to get 12 channels you would need 2 8ch cards for the SD7. You would only need 1 16ch card in the LS9.

Mac
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:23:20 AM by Mac Kerr »

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »

Are there really 12 different audio feeds for press? Even at the biggest press focussed event I do we only have 5 different feeds, because we have 5 simultaneous venues. Each of those 5 feeds goes to a 32 output press DA in the workroom. What are your 12 feeds?

Mac

Mac,

I know you hate wielding the big stick. But it's time to remind people, that providing some detailed information, when they post a question, is not just helpful, but good manners. The OP, now appears to only bear a passing resemblance, to the real requirement. I would add to your question, is it press or broadcast? That would change the equipment used.

Iain.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »

The price of adding network switches (not consumer products, but enterprise-level) to a robust and redundant run of CAT5e will probably equal the cost of multipair analog.

Don't forget that these switches will also require power, which may or may not be available at the location where the switches must be. So in addition to the costs already mentioned, you may have the cost of providing power; 100m of extension cord may not be as simple as it sounds. There are many questions that this adds: Will voltage drop be acceptable? (Always a consideration in long-distance power runs.) Will the power cable run next to the Ethernet cable? That may result in RFI/EMF that degrades the Ethernet signal. Is the power reliable? Will the local inspector have something to say about the installation?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Carlos del Valle

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »

We have L-R, L-R backup, L-R voice, LR music, LR send to a pair of speakers, 2 spare lines. Total, 12 sends.

I didn't give much info because I didn't think it was relevant to the question, wich was about methods of sending multipair signals over long distances.... not my intention to be ill-mannered.

In all, I guess analog is the best way. thanks again!

Oliver Driver

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »

Thanks all.

Hi there,

Just a though....but if you're using an SD7 then maybe you could use a D-Rack with the fiber option?

Let me know if you need any advice or help on the Ethersound way of doing it.

If you want to use a more enterprise class solution for Ethersound then look at the HP ProCurve 2510-24 switch with the fiber gigabit modules and set up a VLAN ( Yamaha provide instructions for how to set this switch up which I can send you ) - it also enables you to do two neat tricks....one is that if you use two fiber modules in each switch you get an automatic back up ( glitch free when main fiber drops, not glitch free when the main fiber is restored ) and also you can use the other 9/10th's of the fiber for data - again all explained in the Yamaha info.

Cheers,

Oliver.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:49:46 AM by Oliver Driver »

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »

We have L-R, L-R backup, L-R voice, LR music, LR send to a pair of speakers, 2 spare lines. Total, 12 sends.

I didn't give much info because I didn't think it was relevant to the question, wich was about methods of sending multipair signals over long distances.... not my intention to be ill-mannered.

In all, I guess analog is the best way. thanks again!

Hi,

Ah! different reply required   ;)

I would forget EtherSound, unless you already have it. SD7 has spare MADI ports. Just use a MADI to Fibre converter, or a MADI to EtherSound converter, if you have the appropriate EtherSound box for the ouput end. Or else, if you own the SD7, invest, in the Digico optional fibre interface. The console has more than enough paths for the stems. The use of EtherSOund seems to have peaked, but MADI is still very popular, especially with broadcasters.

You didn't say what kind of press is at the receiving end. If it's broadcast, they might well be happier with MADI, though I don't know where you are located. One tip. It is generally thought best for analogue outputs for press, to have transformer isolated outputs. Journalists are notorious for shorting out, and introducing buzz in to these systems.

A few links. Lots more available.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_madi_converter.php

http://tinyurl.com/3svbyno Sydec m-o & stage boxes

http://tinyurl.com/3dzexgp SSL

http://tinyurl.com/3udaty3 SSL Madi stage box

Cheers.

Iain.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.