ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What the heck happened whist I was gone?  (Read 9284 times)

Jack Arnott

What the heck happened whist I was gone?
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »

I mean I'm gone a couple of months and you burn the dump down!

First off to you "Newbs" like Evan, this is maybe the sixth time this has happened. Nothing new.
(OOPs, I signed an oath that I would not write falsehoods. That is quite rich for a site that is not about content, but advertising.) ;D

Anyway, it's happened before. It's a corporate enterprise, not one of passion or individual integrity.
It's like eating at McDonalds. Not at a privately owned restaurant, like it was when Dave had it.
Does the food suck? Yes, and we never get to see Mr (or MS) Soundweb.
I get the feeling they don't even correspond with moderators. No one certainly has their back when shit hits the fan.

Dave would never let that happen.

But, if you're going to eat crappy food, at least you can do it in good company.

So here's to you, the person who contributes here, and the interaction I can have with you.

Lets enjoy this one till it inevitably burns too.  ::)

Regards, Jack

(And I never got to smote, or had a karma run over my dogma.)  :)

Collin Donohue

Re: What the heck happened whist I was gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »

Agreed... The community is what matters, not the site.

Yes, it sucks that the new format isn't quite as nice as the old one.

Yes, it sucks that everything posted before the transition will he destroyed.

But if the new forum can continue to be a place where I can get solutions for my inane little problems and annoying questions, or where I can contribute to other people's issues, then I will continue to come here on a daily basis.

I really wish some of those "I'll never use the new site" would reconsider. Their decision is truly unfortunate for all.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »

Yes, it sucks that everything posted before the transition will he destroyed.

I would love to know where this misinformation came from, and why, after repeated corrections, it continues to be posted.

From the very first conference calls we have been told that if the old forums could not be integrated into the new ones, and they can't, that there would be a searchable archive. What form it will take we don't know yet, but there will be one.

Mac

Jack Arnott

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »

I would love to know where this misinformation came from, and why, after repeated corrections, it continues to be posted.

Mac

I really don't care one way or another. The search function was so horrible that the old forum hardly existed beyond the last two pages to me anyway.

Beyond this, perhaps it gets its life in the fact that we have heard the same thing the last time this happened.

(Don't worry, we will fix it in the mix.)  :)

Regards, Jack

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:43:33 PM »

I really don't care one way or another. The search function was so horrible that the old forum hardly existed beyond the last two pages to me anyway.

Beyond this, perhaps it gets its life in the fact that we have heard the same thing the last time this happened.

(Don't worry, we will fix it in the mix.)  :)

Regards, Jack

The search function in the archive truly does suck. The search function in the LAB isn't nearly as bad as everyone claims. Most of the time when someone says that couldn't find what they were looking for, I found it with the LAB search in a couple of minutes. It is a simple keyword search and isn't as sophisticated as Google, but it almost always found what I was looking for.

And yes, we are hearing the same thing, and just like last time, there will be a searchable archive. This particular complaint is much ado about nothing.

Mac

Collin Donohue

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »

My apologies, Mac... from reading a lot of the early discussions, the impression myself (and obviously many other concerned participants) was that the old Forums would not be archived.  I may have missed the correction simply because keeping up on those particular threads was just becoming too much of a depressing discussion to follow.

It is truly FANTASTIC news that the old site will be archived.  All the more reason for people to quit the crap-shoveling and get back to working and participating on this valuable resource and community.

And I thank you, Mac, and the rest of the mods/admins/etc for working so hard on all of this and being patient with all of the negativity.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »

My apologies, Mac... from reading a lot of the early discussions, the impression myself (and obviously many other concerned participants) was that the old Forums would not be archived.  I may have missed the correction simply because keeping up on those particular threads was just becoming too much of a depressing discussion to follow.

It is truly FANTASTIC news that the old site will be archived.  All the more reason for people to quit the crap-shoveling and get back to working and participating on this valuable resource and community.

And I thank you, Mac, and the rest of the mods/admins/etc for working so hard on all of this and being patient with all of the negativity.

Thanks for the support. It has been trying, and it is sad that some members felt that they had to go elsewhere, but we will continue to try to make this set of forums as good as it can be. It continues to be the member participation that gives value to any forum, and these professional sound forums, both live SR and recording, in particular.

Mac

Tony "T" Tissot

• SR Forums
  • Now booking NYE 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »

I like the new site.

The "web" for the past 15 years:

<Old Site>
 - "This site is terrible, why don't you change this, fix that, what were you thinking?"
 - "We really hate this site."
<New site launched>
 - "This site is terrible, why don't you change this, fix that, what were you thinking?"
 - "We really loved the old site."

Rinse and repeat....

Jack Arnott

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »

<Old Site>
<New site launched>

The new xxxx album sucks.
They have truly abandoned their fans and their musical roots.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

I like the new site.

The "web" for the past 15 years:

<Old Site>
<New site launched>

Rinse and repeat....

:) 

The biggest thing I see on the new site is that the readable text field is only about 5" across on my laptop. (a 14.1" diagonal laptop.  This is further compouded by my use of the bookmark bar on the left edge of the screen - which takes about 2" of space.  That leaves about 3" or so of text area.

On the FUD website, there was a useful horizontal area of about 9"-10" across, regardless of whether I had the bookmark bar turned on or off on the left hand side.

P.S.  Since this is a login-based system, what in the world do they have a Captcha verification for??  ::)

P.P.S.  After I post, why did it return me to the previous screen with the listing of all the forum posts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:56:46 PM by Chris Davis »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.